Charles Albert Eric Goodhart, CBE, FBA (born 23 October 1936) is an economist. He was a member of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee from June 1997-May 2000 and a professor at the London School of Economics (1985–2002, Emeritus Professor since 2002). He is the developer of Goodhart's law, an economic law named after him. He is the son of Arthur Lehman Goodhart.
- Eton College
- Trinity College, Cambridge (scholar; 1st Cl. Hons Econs Tripos)
- Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (PhD 1963).
- Goodhart, Charles. The Evolution of Central Banks. 1988
- Goodhart, Charles, (2001) “What Weight Should Be Given to Asset Prices in the Measurement of Inflation?” Economic Journal 111 (June): F335–56.
- Goodhart, Charles (2010) “Is a less pro-cyclical financial system an achievable goal?” National Institute Economic Review 211, pp. 81–90
- Goodhart, Charles (2010) "The Regulatory Response to the Financial Crisis"
- National Service, 1955-57 (2nd Lieut KRRC)
- Assistant Lecturer in Economics, Cambridge University, 1963–64
- Economic Adviser, DEA, 1965–67
- Lecturer in Monetary Economics, London School of Economics, 1967–69
- Bank of England:
- Adviser with particular reference to monetary policy, 1969–80
- A Chief Adviser, 1980–85
- External Member, Monetary Policy Committee, 1997–2000
- Member, Advisory Committee, Hong Kong Exchange Fund, 1990–97
- Norman Sosnow Professor of Banking and Finance, 1985–2002, now Emeritus Professor, and Member, Financial Markets Group, since 1987, London School of Economics
The Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee Governor: Sir Edward George (June 1997–June 2003) June 1997-July 1997: George | Davies | King | Buiter | Goodhart | Plenderleith August 1997: George | King | Buiter | Goodhart | Plenderleith September 1997-November 1997: George | King | Buiter | Goodhart | Plenderleith | Clementi | Julius December 1997-May 1998: George | King | Buiter | Goodhart | Plenderleith | Clementi | Julius | Budd June 1998-May 1999: George | King | Buiter | Goodhart | Plenderleith | Clementi | Julius | Budd | Vickers June 1999-May 2000: George | King | Buiter | Goodhart | Plenderleith | Clementi | Julius | Vickers | Wadhwani This article about a British businessperson born in the 1930s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.