Bis Origin Glasgow, Scotland Genres Indie pop
Years active 1994–2003
Labels Chemikal Underground
Associated acts The Kitchen
Website http://www.bisnation.com/ Members Steven Clark
Bis are a Scottish indie pop band composed of Steven Clark (Sci-fi Steven), John Clark (John Disco), and Amanda MacKinnon (Manda Rin). Formed in 1994, the band broke up in 2003, but reformed briefly in 2007 for a series of concerts.
The three musicians formed Bis in 1994, when Rin and Disco were in secondary school and Steven had recently finished there. About a year later, they appeared on BBC Television's Top of the Pops performing "Kandy Pop" from their Secret Vampire Soundtrack EP ahead of its release: much being made at the time about them being the first 'unsigned' band to do so: in reality dozens of bands - especially in the late 1970s and 'novelty' acts - had appeared on the show with singles released on labels they had no formal contract with other than as a distributor or, like Bis, on a single by single basis.
Bis released a number of EPs, three of which entered the UK Singles Chart. In the late 1990s "Eurodisco", from their album, Social Dancing, became a minor success for the band in Australia as well as the UK.
The band's name, rhyming with 'this', derives from "Black Iron Skyline", a song by The The.
Rise to fame
The band's early releases were on Glasgow's Chemikal Underground label, run by The Delgados, before transferring to Wiiija where labelmates included Cornershop. In the United States, their records appeared on the underground label K Records, and on the Beastie Boys' Grand Royal label. They toured extensively both in the UK and abroad— their diverse influences reflected in the kind of acts they appeared with: Pavement, Garbage, Luscious Jackson, Foo Fighters and Gary Numan amongst them.
The group became a favourite of the likes of Blur, John Peel and Green Day, despite a particularly hostile review by Steven Wells in the New Musical Express entitled The Sinking Of The Bis-Lark.
The U.S. first encountered the band during the closing credits of The Powerpuff Girls animated series. Their song "Detour" was also given some radio airplay in the U.S. They enjoyed a period of success in Japan, selling nearly 100,000 copies of their debut album in its first week of release, but future releases failed to be anywhere near as successful.
Split and future projects
The band broke up in 2003, after playing a farewell show at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut. All remained active in the local music scene. Steven and John Disco played in Dirty Hospital and Rin acted as a DJ. Rin was also in a band called The Kitchen, whilst Disco joined the ska band, The Amphetameanies, which included members of Belle & Sebastian and Pink Kross.
In 2005, they announced on the official Bis website that together they had formed a new band, called Data Panik with Stuart Memo on bass and drummer Graham Christie. After releasing two 7" singles, however, the band split up.
As of 2006 Rin was working on solo material. In 2007 she teamed up with the Scottish electro-pop outfit, Juno!, and has collaborated on their independently released singles, "Smoke & Mirrors" and "These Boys Are Athletes", as well as regularly appearing live with the band, most recently at the Rock Ness 2008 Festival.
To celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the release of their debut album The New Transistor Heroes, Bis re-formed in April 2007 for three shows in Glasgow, Manchester, and London. A greatest hits compilation titled We are Bis from Glasgow, Scotland was released on compact disc to coincide with these shows.
In August 2008, Rin released the solo single, "DNA", which she followed up with the release of her debut album, My DNA with This Is Fake DIY in September 2008.
In November 2009, Rin announced that the band would reform to play at the Primavera Festival in May 2010.
More recently, singer Manda Rin provided the artwork for an iPhone game called "All Fridges Are Psychotic"., and (on 18 November 2010) made a short guest appearance on the BBC music quiz programme Never Mind The Buzzcocks. She also teamed up with Hyperbubble on a track for their 2011 album Drastic Cinematic.
Bis discography Releases ↙Studio albums 3 ↙Live albums 1 ↙Compilation albums 5 ↙EPs 11 ↙Singles 13 ↙Music videos 10
Year Album Chart positions UK JP 1997 The New Transistor Heroes 55 19 1999 Social Dancing 161 60 2001 Return To Central
- Labels: spinART, Apex, Tilt
- Play Some Real Songs: A Bis Live CD (2001, only sold through the Bis website)
- Icky-Poo Air Raid (1997, Rock)
- Intendo (1998, Grand Royal)
- I Love Bis (2001)
- Plastique Nouveau (2002, spinART)
- We are Bis from Glasgow, Scotland (2007, Cherry Red)
- Transmissions on the Teen-C Tip! (1995, Acuarela)
- Disco Nation 45 (1995, Chemikal Underground)
- The Secret Vampire Soundtrack (1996, Chemikal Underground) UK #25
- Bis vs. the D.I.Y. Corps (1996, teen-c recordings) UK #45
- Atom-Powered Action! (1996, Wiiija) UK #54
- This Is Teen-C Power! (1996, Grand Royal)
- Techno Disco Lovers (1998, V2 & PIAS)
- Music For A Stranger World (2000, Wiiija, Lookout! & V2)
- fukd ID #5 (2001, Chemikal Underground)
- Fact 2002 (2001, Optimo Singles Club and Other Related Recordings)
- Plastique 33 (2002, spinART)
- "Sweet Shop Avengerz" (1997, Tristar/Sony) - (1997, Wiiija) UK #46
- "Everybody Thinks That They're Going To Get Theirs" (1997, Wiiija & Shock) - (1997, Tristar/Sony) UK #64
- "Tell It To The Kids" (1997, Sony Japan)
- "Kid Cut (Demo Version)" (1997) (One-sided 7" single given out at gigs in Glasgow and London)
- "Eurodisco" (1998, Wiiija, Grand Royal/Capitol) UK #37, BE #41
- "Action and Drama" (1999, Wiiija, Shock) UK #50
- "Detour" (1999, Wiiija & Grand Royal) UK #84
- "What You're Afraid Of" (2001, spinART)
- "Protection" (2001, Tilt)
- "The End Starts Today" (2002, Artful)
- "Trophy Girlfriend" b/w "Keroleen" – Heavenly/Bis split (1996, K)
- "Pop Song" / "Clockwork Punk" b/w "Rococo Neggro" / "Harrap Ageing Fast" – Lugworm/Bis split (1997, Guided Missile)
- "Signal In The Sky (Let's Go)" b/w "The Powerpuff Girls (End Theme)" – Bis/The Apples in Stereo split (2000, Kid Rhino)
Various artist compilations
- Songs About Plucking (1996, Fierce Panda) – "Super James"
- The Smiths Is Dead (1996, Small Records) – "The Boy With A Thorn In His Side"
- Random (1997, Beggar Banquet) – "We Are So Fragile"
- At Home with the Groovebox (2000, Grand Royal) – "Oh My"
- The Powerpuff Girls - Heroes and Villains (2000, Rhino Entertainment) – "Fight the Power" and "The Powerpuff Girls (End Theme)"
- "Kandy Pop" (1996)
- "This Is Fake D.I.Y" (1996)
- "Starbright Boy" (1997)
- "Sweet Shop Avengerz" (1997)
- "Tell it to the Kids" (1997)
- "Everybody Thinks They're Going To Get Theirs" (1997)
- "Eurodisco" (1998)
- "Action and Drama" (1999)
- "Detour" (1999)
- "The End Starts Today (Single Edit)" (2001)
- ^ MySpace.com - manda rin - Glasgow, Scotland - Alternative / Electrique / Pop Punk - www.myspace.com/musicmandarin
- ^ Flag Hippo - All Fridges Are Psychotic
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "UK Chartlog". zobbel.de. http://www.zobbel.de/cluk/CLUK_B.HTM. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- ^ "Japan: Album positions". oricon.co.jp. http://www.oricon.co.jp/prof/artist/27148/products/release/. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- ^ "ultratop.be - Discografie Bis". © 2006-2011 Hung Medien. http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showinterpret.asp?interpret=Bis. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- Bis Nation - Official website
- Planet Manda - Official Manda Rin Website
- Muuma Interview 2008 (English & Spanish) with Manda Rin
- Audiojunkies Interview with Manda Rin
- Interview with Data Panik at their first London gig, August 2005
- Bis interview, July 1997
- Flag Hippo - All Fridges Are Psychotic website
- Interview with BIS on Radio23 and Primavera Sound live set
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bis (Band) — Bis Allgemeine Informationen Genre(s) Synthie Pop Gründung 1995 Auflösung 2003 Website … Deutsch Wikipedia
BIS (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = BIS Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Origin = flagicon|Japan Tokyo, Japan Genre = Pop punk Years active = 2004–2008 Label = Free Will (2007 2008) PS Company (2004 2007) Associated acts =… … Wikipedia
14 Bis (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = 14 Bis Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Genre = MPB Rock Progressive rock Years active = 1979 ndash; Label = Associated acts = URL = Current members = Cláudio Venturini… … Wikipedia
BIS — may refer to:*BIS (band), or Believe in Style, a Japanese pop punk band *BIS monitor or bispectral index, to assess the depth of anaesthesia *BIS Records, a Scandinavian record label focusing on classical works *Bachelor of Independent Studies,… … Wikipedia
BIS — steht für folgende Verbände, Organisationen, Behörden und Unternehmen: Bandalag íslenskra skáta, isländischer Pfadfinderverband Bank for International Settlements, siehe Bank für Internationalen Zahlungsausgleich BASF IT Services, IT… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bis(s) zum Ende der Nacht — (Originaltitel: Breaking Dawn) ist ein Roman der Jugendbuchautorin Stephenie Meyer. Er erschien am 2. August 2008 im Verlag Little, Brown and Company und ist der vierte und letzte Band der Bis(s) Tetralogie (OT: The Twilight Series) um den Vampir … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bis zum bitteren Ende — Livealbum von Die Toten Hosen … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bis(s) zum Morgengrauen — (engl. Originaltitel: Twilight) ist ein Roman der Jugendbuchautorin Stephenie Meyer. Er erschien 2005 im Verlag Little, Brown and Company und ist der erste Band der Bis(s) Tetralogie (engl. Originaltitel: The Twilight Series) um den Vampir Edward … Deutsch Wikipedia
Band Beach — bezeichnete einen französischen Küstenabschnitt in der Normandie, an dem während der Landung der Alliierten im Zweiten Weltkrieg, der Operation Overlord, alliierte Truppen landen sollten. Band Beach lag östlich des Strandabschnittes Sword und war … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bis jetzt — Studioalbum von Hannes Wader Veröffentlichung 1987 Label Pläne ARIS Genre … Deutsch Wikipedia