Ballistic Missile Range Safety Technology (BMRST) is a mobile system designed and built by
HoneywellInternational in Clearwater Florida, to monitor and provide space-vehicle position data during launches. The BMRST system consists of a control center van and two trailer-mounted tracking antennas. All data processing and range safetydisplays are housed in the control center; the antennas are designed to receive data from launched rockets and space vehicles and transmit the information back to the control center. From the control center, the Range Safety Officerwill also be able to assist in destroying an off-course rocket or launch vehicle for safety reasons.
The tracking antennas combine the ability to receive an S-band telemetry data signal with the ability to transmit high-power UHF Command Destruct tones. Each of the antenna systems consists of a 5.4-meter
reflector, elevationover azimuthpedestal, and a specialized telemetry tracking/UHF feed.
The system is currently operated by the Florida Air National Guard at
Cape CanaveralAir Force Station, Florida. The system is capable of being transport by land, sea and C-5 Galaxy, C-17 military cargo aircraft.
The BMRST system is similar in design to the
Range Safety and Telemetry System(RSTS) being used at the Kodiak Launch Centerin Alaska.
* [http://www.gulfcoastphotodesign.com/bmrst/bmrst_interior.html BMRST Interior]
* [http://gulfcoastphotodesign.com/bmrst/bmrst_alaska.html BMRST Video]
* [http://www.akaerospace.com/safety.html Safety at the Kodiak Launch Complex (RSTS)]
External links and sources
* [http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May2004/n05112004_200405112.html Florida Air Guard Receives New Space-Launch Tracking System]
* [http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero/Range-Safety.htm Honeywell Range Safety]
* [http://www.honeywell.com/aerospace/announcement_details.jsp?rowID=112&docID=4009&catID=2 Honeywell To Provide Ballistic Missile Range Safety Technology System For The U.S. Air Force Rocket System Launch Program (October 2002)]
* [http://www.viasat.com/press/?RELEASE=117 Contract from Honeywell Space Systems for Ballistic Missile Range Safety System]
* [http://stinet.dtic.mil/dticrev/a417610.pdf Challenges in Acceptance/Licensing of a Mobile Ballistic Missile Range Safety Technology (BMRST) System (PDF File)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Range Safety and Telemetry System — (RSTS) is a GPS based, S band telemetry receiving and UHF command destruct system, with two 5.4 meter telemetry and command destruct auto tracking antennas. The system built by Honeywell International. The system is capable of providing four… … Wikipedia