- Binary search algorithm
for performing binary searches on Java arrays and Lists, respectively. They must be arrays of primitives, or the arrays or Lists must be of a type that implements the
Comparableinterface, or you must specify a custom Comparator object.
Microsoft's .NET Framework 2.0 offers static generic versions of the Binary Search algorithm in its collection base classes. An example would be
BinarySearchPython provides the
(T  array, T value).
COBOLcan perform binary search on internal tables using the
Index (information technology)Very fast 'lookup' using an index to directly select an entry
Branch tables Alternative indexed 'lookup' technique for decision making
Self-balancing binary search tree
Run-time analysis, illustrating binary search technique on machines of differing speeds
Donald Knuth. "The Art of Computer Programming", Volume 3: "Sorting and Searching", Third Edition. Addison-Wesley, 1997. ISBN 0-201-89685-0. Section 6.2.1: Searching an Ordered Table, pp.409–426.
* Kruse, Robert L.: "Data Structures and Program Design in C++", Prentice-Hall, 1999, ISBN 0-13-768995-0, page 280.
* Netty van Gasteren, Wim Feijen. " [http://www.mathmeth.com/wf/files/wf2xx/wf214.pdf The Binary Search Revisited] ", AvG127/WF214, 1995. (investigates the foundations of the Binary Search, debunking the myth that it applies only to sorted arrays)
* [http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/binarySearch.html NIST Dictionary of Algorithms and Data Structures: binary search]
* [http://www.sparknotes.com/cs/searching/binarysearch/ Sparknotes: Binary search] . Simplified overview of binary search.
* [http://blogs.netindonesia.net/adrian/articles/6288.aspx Binary Search Implementation in Visual Basic .NET (partially in English)]
* [http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2cy9f6wb.aspx msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2cy9f6wb.aspx] .NET Framework Class Library Array.BinarySearch Generic Method (T  , T)
* [http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2006/06/extra-extra-read-all-about-it-nearly.html Google Research: Nearly All Binary Searches and Mergesorts are Broken] .
* [http://en.literateprograms.org/Category:Binary_search Implementations of binary search on LiteratePrograms] .
* [http://www.datastructures.info/what-is-a-binary-seach-algorithm-and-how-does-it-work/ Explained and commented Binary search algorithm in C++]
* [http://www.paked.net/subject_pages/computer_science/prog1.htm Binary Search using C++ ]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Search algorithm — In computer science, a search algorithm, broadly speaking, is an algorithm that takes a problem as input and returns a solution to the problem, usually after evaluating a number of possible solutions. Most of the algorithms studied by computer… … Wikipedia
Binary search tree — In computer science, a binary search tree (BST) is a binary tree data structurewhich has the following properties: *each node (item in the tree) has a value; *a total order (linear order) is defined on these values; *the left subtree of a node… … Wikipedia
Uniform binary search — is an optimization of the classic binary search algorithm invented by Donald Knuth and given in Knuth s The Art of Computer Programming . It uses a lookup table to update a single array index, rather than taking the midpoint of an upper and a… … Wikipedia
Self-balancing binary search tree — In computer science, a self balancing binary search tree or height balanced binary search tree is a binary search tree that attempts to keep its height , or the number of levels of nodes beneath the root, as small as possible at all times,… … Wikipedia
Algorithm — Flow chart of an algorithm (Euclid s algorithm) for calculating the greatest common divisor (g.c.d.) of two numbers a and b in locations named A and B. The algorithm proceeds by successive subtractions in two loops: IF the test B ≤ A yields yes… … Wikipedia
Binary logarithm — NOTOC In mathematics, the binary logarithm (log2 n ) is the logarithm for base 2. It is the inverse function of n mapsto 2^n. The binary logarithm is often used in computer science and information theory (where it is frequently written lg n , or… … Wikipedia
Algorithm examples — This article Algorithm examples supplements Algorithm and Algorithm characterizations. = An example: Algorithm specification of addition m+n =Choice of machine model:This problem has not been resolved by the mathematics community. There is no… … Wikipedia
Divide and conquer algorithm — In computer science, divide and conquer (D C) is an important algorithm design paradigm based on multi branched recursion. A divide and conquer algorithm works by recursively breaking down a problem into two or more sub problems of the same (or… … Wikipedia
Interpolation search — is an algorithm for searching for a given key value in an indexed array that has been ordered by the values of the key. It parallels how humans search through a telephone book for a particular name, the key value by which the book s entries are… … Wikipedia
Index (search engine) — Search engine indexing collects, parses, and stores data to facilitate fast and accurate information retrieval. Index design incorporates interdisciplinary concepts from linguistics, cognitive psychology, mathematics, informatics, physics, and… … Wikipedia