Compressed air is air which is kept under a certain pressure, usually greater than that of the atmosphere. In Europe, 10 percent of all electricity used by industry is used to produce compressed air, amounting to 80 terawatt hours consumption per year.
Compressed air is regarded as the fourth utility, after electricity, natural gas and water. However, compressed air is more expensive than the other three utilities when evaluated on a per unit energy delivered basis.
Compressed air can be used in or for:
- pneumatics, the use of pressurized gases to do work. See compressed air energy storage.
- vehicular transportation using a compressed air vehicle
- energy storage
- scuba diving, for breathing and to inflate buoyancy devices. See also: Breathing gas
- cooling using a vortex tube.
- gas dusters for cleaning electronic components that cannot be cleaned with water.
- railway braking systems
- road vehicle braking systems
- Diesel engine cranking
- paintball ammunition propulsion
- airsoft ammunition propulsion
- air tools
- cleaning electronic components and assemblies
- ^ Paineilma hukkaa 15 hiilivoimalan tuotannon (Finnish)
- ^ http://isi.fraunhofer.de/isi-de/publ/download/isi04p20/compressed-air-benchmarking.pdf "Compressed Air System Audits and Benchmarking Results from the German Compressed Air Campaign "Druckluft effizient" "
- ^ Yuan, C., Zhang, T., Rangarajan, A., Dornfeld, D., Ziemba, B., and Whitbeck, R. “A Decision-based Analysis of Compressed Air Usage Patterns in Automotive Manufacturing”, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 25 (4), 2006, pp.293-300
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
compressed air — air compressed, esp. by mechanical means, to a pressure higher than the surrounding atmospheric pressure. [1660 70] * * * Air reduced in volume and held under pressure. Force from compressed air is used to operate numerous tools and instruments,… … Universalium
compressed air — compressed′ air′ n. phs air compressed by mechanical means to a pressure higher than the atmospheric pressure • Etymology: 1660–70 … From formal English to slang
compressed air — n. air held under pressure in a container: the force generated when the air is released is used to operate machines, tools, etc … English World dictionary
compressed air — ► NOUN ▪ air that is at more than atmospheric pressure … English terms dictionary
compressed air — noun air at a pressure greater than that of the atmosphere compressed air is often used to power machines • Hypernyms: ↑compressed gas • Hyponyms: ↑air cushion … Useful english dictionary
compressed air — suslėgtasis oras statusas T sritis fizika atitikmenys: angl. compressed air; heavy air vok. Druckluft, f; Preßluft, f rus. сжатый воздух, m pranc. air comprimé, m … Fizikos terminų žodynas
compressed air — suslėgtas oras statusas T sritis ekologija ir aplinkotyra apibrėžtis Įvairaus suslėgimo laipsnio oras, naudojamas technologiniams tikslams. Suslegiama kompresoriais, kai reikia gauti >0,3 MPa slėgį; mažesniu slėgiu suslegia ventiliatoriai ir… … Ekologijos terminų aiškinamasis žodynas
compressed air — air which has been pressurized, high pressure air … English contemporary dictionary
compressed air — com·pressed air kəm .prest a(ə)r, käm , e(ə)r n air under pressure greater than that of the atmosphere … Medical dictionary
compressed air — /kəmˌprɛst ˈɛə/ (say kuhm.prest air) noun air, under a higher than atmospheric pressure, the expansive force of which is used to operate drills, brakes, etc … Australian English dictionary