Romeo y Julieta (cigar brand)
Romeo y Julieta is the name of two brands of premium
cigar, one produced on the island of Cubafor Habanos SA, the Cuban state-owned tobacco company, and the other produced in La Romana, Dominican Republicfor Altadis SA.
The Romeo y Julieta marque was established in 1875 by
Inocencio Alvarezand Mannin Garcia. The brand is named for the Shakespearetragedy, Romeo and Juliet.
Between 1885 and 1900, the brand won numerous awards at different tasting exhibitions (as still evidenced by the gold medals on the brand's logo). However, the brand truly bloomed after it was acquired by
Jose "Pepin" Rodriguez Fernandez, former head of the Cabañas factory in Havana, and his firm, Rodríguez, Argüelles y Cia, in 1903. Being a very cosmopolitan man, Rodriguez constantly travelled across Europe and the Americas, actively promoting his brand, and entering his horse, the aptly named "Julieta", in racing events across the world.As a result of his salesmanship, the brand became exceptionally popular around the world among wealthy customers, many of whom demanded personalized bands for their cigars. At its height, as many as 2000 personalized cigar bands were produced for customers. The brand was also known at this time for specializing in "figurado" cigars, such as perfectos and pirámides, with over a thousand such shapes believed to have been in production.
Sir Winston Churchill was perhaps the brand's most famous devotee. The flagship "vitola" of the brand is named in his honor, a long 7" by 47 ring gauge cigar known as the Churchill.
Nellie Tayloe Ross, the first woman to serve as governor of a state in the U.S., also frequently smoked them.
After Rodriguez's death in 1954 (he was 88 years old), the revolution, and the subsequent
nationalizationof the tobacco industry, the brand was moved to La Romana in the Dominican Republic, where production of a Romeo y Julieta cigar for the American market continues today under the direction of Altadis SA. The Cuban government nationalized the brand and still produces and distributes it world-wide as one of its top-selling global brands.
In 2006, a new addition was made to the regular Romeo y Julieta lineup. The Short Churchill size, a Robusto, was introduced at the 8th Annual
Habanos Festivalin Havana, Cuba in 2006.
Romeo y Julieta also produces three machine-made
cigarillos: minis, clubs and puritos
"Vitolas" in the Romeo y Julieta Line
The following list of the Romeo y Julieta marque includes the size in inches and ring gauge (multiples of 1⁄64 inch) with metric in parenthesis. Also, the "vitola de galera" or factory name of that size is included along with its popular size name in American cigar vocabulary.
* Churchill - 7" x 47 (178 x 18.7 mm) Julieta, a churchill
* Belicoso - 5½" x 52 (140 x 20.6 mm) Campana, a belicoso
* Short Churchill - 4⅞" x 50 (124 x 19.8 mm) Robusto, a robusto or rothschild
* Exhibición No. 3 - 5⅝" x 46 (143 x 18.3 mm) Corona Gorda, a toro
* Exhibición No. 4 - 5" x 48 (127 x 19.1 mm) Hermoso No. 4, a robusto or rothschild
* Cazador - 6⅜" x 44 (162 x 17.5 mm) Cazador, a lonsdale
* Corona - 5⅝" x 42 (142 x 16.7 mm) Corona, a corona
* Petit Corona - 5⅛" x 42 (129 x 16.7 mm) Mareva, a petit corona
* Très Petit Corona - 4½" x 40 (116 x 15.9 mm) Franciscano, a tres petit corona
* Petit Julieta - 3⅞" x 30 (100 x 11.9 mm) Entreacto, a small panetela
* Cedro de Luxe No. 1 - 6½" x 42 (165 x 16.7 mm) Cervantes, a lonsdale
* Cedro de Luxe No. 2 - 5⅝" x 42 (142 x 16.7 mm) Corona, a corona
* Cedro de Luxe No. 3 - (129 x 16.7 mm) Mareva, a petit corona"Machine-Made and Hand-Finish Vitolas"
* Romeo No. 1 - 5½" x 40 (140 x 15.9 mm) Crema, a corona
* Romeo No. 2 - 5⅛" x 42 (129 x 16.7 mm) Petit Corona, a petit corona
* Romeo No. 3 - 4⅝" x 40 (117 x 15.9 mm) Coronita, a petit corona
* Mille Fleur - 5⅛" x 42 (129 x 16.7 mm) Petit Corona, a petit corona
* Coronita en Cedro - 5⅛" x 40 (129 x 15.9 mm) Petit Cetro, a petit corona
* Belvedere - 4⅞" x 39 (125 x 15.5 mm) Belvedere, a petit corona
* Regalía de Londres - 4⅝" x 40 (117 x 15.9 mm) Coronita, a petit corona
* Sport Largo - 4⅝" x 35 (117 x 13.9 mm) Sport, a small panetela
* Petit Princess - 4⅜" x 35 (110 x 13.9 mm) Epicure, a tres petit corona"Edición Limitada Releases"
* Exhibición No. 2 (2000) - 7⅝" x 49 (194 x 19.4 mm) Prominente, a double corona
* Robusto (2001) - 4⅞" x 50 (124 x 19.8 mm) Robusto, a robusto or rothschild
* Hermoso No. 1 (2003) - 6½" x 48 (165 x 19.1 mm) Super Hermoso, a large toro
* Hermoso No. 2 (2004) - 6⅛" x 48 (157 x 19.1) Hermoso No. 2, a double robusto
* Petit Pirámide (2005) - 5 x 50 (127 x 19.8 mm) Petit Pirámide, a petit belicoso
* Nee, Min Ron - "An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars" (2003, Reprinted: 2005), ISBN 3-9809308-2-3
Romeo y Julieta (cigarette)
* [http://www.habanos.com Official website of Habanos S.A.]
* [http://www.cubancigars.net.au Cuban cigars and Romeo y Julieta reviews]
* [http://www.cigars-review.org/cigars/Romeo-y-Julieta.htm Romeo y Julieta Cigars Reviews]
* [http://www.aristoncubancigars.com Authorized retailer]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Romeo y Julieta — can refer to:* The Spanish name for the Shakespeare play Romeo and Juliet * Romeo y Julieta (cigar brand), two brands of Cuban and Dominican cigars * Romeo y Julieta (cigarette), a brand of Cuban cigarettes … Wikipedia
Romeo y Julieta (cigarette) — Romeo y Julieta cigarettes were launched in Cuba in 1999, where they are made. They are sold in Brazil, France, Mexico, Spain, the Czech Republic, Germany, Japan, Paraguay and the United Kingdom. Made of the same tobacco as their older cigar… … Wikipedia
Dunhill (cigar brand) — Dunhill cigars were produced in Cuba by Cubatabaco for Alfred Dunhill of London from 1982 to 1991, in various countries afterwards, and are now owned by British American Tobacco.HistoryIn 1907, Alfred Dunhill opened his first tobacco shop on Duke … Wikipedia
Cohiba (cigar brand) — Cohiba is a brand for two kinds of premium cigar, one produced in Cuba for Habanos S.A., the Cuban state owned tobacco company, and the other produced in the Dominican Republic for US based General Cigar Company. The name cohíba derives from the… … Wikipedia
Cuaba (cigar brand) — Cuaba is the name of a Cuban cigar brand produced in Cuba for Habanos SA, the Cuban state owned tobacco company. History Cuaba was officially launched by Habanos president Francisco Linares on November 19th, 1996 at Claridge s Hotel in London,… … Wikipedia
Romeo — See also Romeo and Juliet (disambiguation) Infobox Given name 2 gender = maleThe name Romeo [cite web|url=http://www.behindthename.com/name/romeo|title=Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name… … Wikipedia
Cigar — For other uses, see Cigar (disambiguation). From the Spanish cigarro cigar , which was perhaps derived from the Spanish cigarra cicada (OED) … Wikipedia
Dunhill (cigar) — The Dunhill logo Dunhill cigars were produced in Cuba by Cubatabaco for Alfred Dunhill of London from 1982 to 1991, in various countries afterwards, and are now owned by British American Tobacco. Contents 1 History 1.1 … Wikipedia
Cuaba (cigar) — Cuaba is the name of a Cuban cigar brand produced in Cuba for Habanos SA, the Cuban state owned tobacco company. The Cuaba logo Contents 1 History … Wikipedia
Montecristo (cigar) — Cuban Montecristo branding Cuban Montecristo cigar … Wikipedia