Frome Valley Walkway
Infobox Hiking trail
Name=Frome Valley Walkway
Caption=Part of the Frome Valley Walkway: a
weirwith sluicegates on the River Fromeat Oldbury Court
The Frome Valley Walkway is an 18
mile(29 km) footpath which follows the River Frome from the River Avon in the centre of Bristolto the Cotswold Hills in South Gloucestershire. The path also links the Cotswold WayNational Trail at one end with the Avon Walkway at the other.
Bristol's Castle Park, the path skirts public parks in the City, where the river is culverted, and only becomes rural as it passes through Eastville Park. The walk then continues past Snuff Millsand on to the Oldbury CourtEstate, passing beneath FrenchayCommon, then to Cleeve Bridge before passing under the M4 motorwayat Hambrook. Next, the path passes through Winterbourne Down, and under the spectacular Winterbourne Viaduct.
The path continues through parkland to
Frampton Cotterell, then south of Iron Actonbefore it reaches Yateand the Goose Green Fields Nature Area. A large section of the walkway is along suburban pavement here, before the final stretch of fields leading to Old Sodburywhere the Walkway officially stops.
It is, however, possible to continue along the
Cotswold Wayto Tormarton, past the source of the Frome, where there are spectacular views from the top of the escarpment.
Wildlife on the Frome Valley Walkway
The Frome Valley is an important place for wildlife because it provides a green corridor of freshwater habitats, woodlands, parks and open spaces cutting through the densely built up areas in
Bristoland the towns and farmlands of South Gloucestershire. The valley allows people to experience a wide range of animals, birds and plants on their doorsteps, some of which are rarely seen so close to the City.
A number of species of
Batare also found at dusk on the Frome, including Common Pipistrelle, Daubenton's Batand Common Noctule.
Pubs along the Frome Valley Walkway
A number of circular walks are possible using pubs as a start point. Some of the pubs a short walk from the walkway are
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Bristol:432 The Merchants Arms at Stapleton]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:232 The White Lion at Frenchay]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:235 The White Horse at Hambrook]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:234 The Hambrook Inn at Hambrook]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:925 The Golden Heart at Winterbourne Down]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:930 The Cross Hands at Winterbourne Down]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:709 The Globe Inn at Frampton Cotterell]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:778 The Swan at Nibley]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:645 The Squire Inn at Chipping Sodbury]
* [http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubsearch.cgi?results:Gloucestershire:783 The Dog Inn at Old Sodbury]
* [http://www.fromewalkway.org.uk/ The Frome Valley Walkway]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Frome (disambiguation) — Frome, (pronEng|ˈfruːm) may refer to:PlacesAustralia* Electoral district of Frome, a state electoral district in South Australia * Lake Frome is found in the mid north of South AustraliaEngland* Bishop s Frome, village and civil parish in eastern … Wikipedia
Frome Vale — infobox UK place country = England official name= Frome Vale latitude= 51.49 longitude= 2.53 map type= nomap static static image caption= Boundaries of the city council ward. population = 10,857 [cite web | title=Frome Vale | work=2001 Census… … Wikipedia
River Frome, Bristol — Geobox|River name = Frome map size = map caption = other name = other name1 = country = England country region type = Counties region = South Gloucestershire region1 = Bristol region2 = region3 = | region6 = region7 = city = Bristol city1 = city2 … Wikipedia
Winterbourne, Gloucestershire — infobox UK place country = England official name= Winterbourne latitude= 51.4979 longitude= 2.5194 civil parish= Winterbourne population = unitary england= South Gloucestershire lieutenancy england= Gloucestershire DistrictType= region= South… … Wikipedia
Winterbourne Down, Gloucestershire — Winterbourne Down is a village in South Gloucestershire, on the outskirts of Bristol, England and part of the Civil Parish of Winterbourne. The Parish s annual May Day carnival is held here.With spectacular views of Winterbourne Viaduct and areas … Wikipedia
Fishponds — infobox UK place country = England official name= Fishponds latitude= 51.4805 longitude= 2.5241 map type= Bristol civil parish= population = unitary england= Bristol lieutenancy england= Bristol region= South West England constituency westminster … Wikipedia
Huckford Viaduct — The Huckford Viaduct spans the River Frome just north of Winterbourne Down in South Gloucestershire, England. It was built in 1902 as part of the Wootton Bassett to Patchway railway line. It now forms part of the line from Bristol to Paddington… … Wikipedia
Somerset — This article is about the county of Somerset in England. For other uses, see Somerset (disambiguation). Somerset Motto of County Council: Sumorsǣte ealle ( All The People of Somerset ) … Wikipedia
Christchurch, Dorset — Christchurch Borough … Wikipedia
Gloucester — This article is about the city in England; for other uses see Gloucester (disambiguation). City of Gloucester City Non metropolitan district … Wikipedia