Out Editor Aaron Hicklin Categories gay lifestyle Frequency Monthly Circulation 203,000 Publisher Joe Landry First issue 1992 Company Here Media Country United States Language English Website www.out.com ISSN 1062-7928
Out (ISSN 1062-7928) is a popular gay and lesbian fashion, entertainment, and lifestyle magazine, with the highest circulation of any gay monthly publication in the United States. It carries itself in a similar editorial manner to Details, Esquire, and GQ. Out was published by PlanetOut Inc. until 2008, when it sold LPI Media to Regent Entertainment Media, Inc., a division of the company that owns here!.
Out was founded by Michael Goff in 1992 as editor in chief and president. He and first hire, executive editor Sarah Pettit (deceased) together built the largest circulation gay publication ever and for the first time attracted world-class writers (such as Augusten Burroughs and David Sedaris) and contributors and mainstream advertisers to fund it.
A key ingredient in Out's success in attracting high brow advertisers who had never considered targeting the gay market before was the magazine's offering of a safe environment in which no adult material or personal classifieds were published. By removing this significant barrier, advertisers were able to utilize this new national print media vehicle to reach a marginalized audience and effectively showcase their products and services.
The Log Cabin Republicans, an LGBT organization for people in the Republican Party, took issue with a May 2008 article contrasting gay Republicans with gay Democrats,[dead link] asserting that the article evidenced an "anti-Republican bias" and complaining that the author of the article, Charles Kaiser, hadn't interviewed any gay Republicans for the story. In a response posted on Out.com, Kaiser pointed out that in spite of their complaints no one was challenging his assertion that closeted gay Republican Congressmen and Senators have a long history of voting against the interests of gay people.
Some lesbians have criticized Out magazine for primarily focusing on gay men, noting that in 2008 no lesbians were featured on the magazine's front cover, and that only 22% of the persons featured in the 'Out 100' were lesbians.
- ^ "Planetout Inc · 8-K · For 8/13/08". Fran Finnegan & Company. 2008-08-13. http://www.secinfo.com/dsvrp.tEX1.htm. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- ^ Sass, Erik (2008-04-14). "PlanetOut Is Out Of Publishing (And $26 Million)". MediaDailyNews. http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=80435.
- ^ Bajko, Matthew (2008-04-10). "Breaking news: PlanetOut to sell off magazines". Bay Area Reporter. http://ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=2894.
- ^ Kaiser, Charles (May 2008). "Washington's Gay War". Out magazine. http://www.out.com/detail.asp?id=23655. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- ^ ""Out" Magazine Runs Hit Job on Gay Republicans: Article on gay Republicans fails to source even ONE gay Republican!". Log Cabin Republicans. http://www.logcabin.org/logcabin/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=8702116. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- ^ Snarker, Dorothy (2008-11-13). "An open letter to "Out" magazine". AfterEllen.com. Logo Online. http://www.afterellen.com/blog/dorothysnarker/an-open-letter-to-out-magazine. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
MagazinesOut · The Advocate · HIV Plus here!
(original productions)here! Originals · Here Films · here! Tunes · here! Studios
Websitesgay.com · SheWired.com BooksAlyson Books Defunct Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) topicsSexual orientation identitiesRelated HistoryPre-modern era16th to 19th century20th century21st century
- Same-sex marriage
- Post-Queer Theory
LGBT rights by country or territoryLGBT rights topics
- Legal issues
Sexual orientations – Medicine, science and sexology
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Out — may refer to: Media Out (film), a short 1957 film produced by the United Nations about the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 Out (1982 film), 1982 American movie (also known as Deadly Drifter directed by Eli Hollander, starring Peter Coyote Out… … Wikipedia
Magazine (band) — Magazine Origin Manchester, England Genres Post punk Years active 1977–1981 2009–present Labels EMI, Virgin, I.R.S … Wikipedia
Magazine (Heart album) — Magazine Studio album by Heart Released First release: April, 1977 Second release: April 22, 1978 … Wikipedia
Magazine Management — Co., Inc. Type Private (subsidiary of Cadence Industries) Industry publishing Genre fan, romance, men s, comics, humor Successor Marvel Entertainment Group Founded c.1953 … Wikipedia
Out & Equal — Workplace Advocates Founder(s) Selisse Berry Founded 1998 Location … Wikipedia
Magazine, Arkansas — City … Wikipedia
Out Run — Arcade flyer for Out Run featuring the in game map. Developer(s) Sega AM2 Publisher(s) … Wikipedia
Out 1 — The title card to Out 1 Directed by Jacques Rivette Suzanne Schiffman (co director) … Wikipedia
Out of Exile — Studio album by Audioslave Released May 23, 2005 (Europe) … Wikipedia
Out of the Inkwell — Directed by Max Fleischer Dave Fleischer Produced by Max Fleischer Written by Max Fleischer … Wikipedia