- Matt Stone
Stone at The Amazing Meeting in 2007
Born Matthew Richard Stone
May 26, 1971
Houston, Texas, U.S.
Occupation Actor, writer, television director, television producer Years active 1992–present Religion None (Atheist)
Matthew Richard "Matt" Stone (born May 26, 1971) is an American screenwriter, producer, voice artist, musician and actor, best known for being the co-creator of South Park along with creative partner and best friend, Trey Parker.
Stone and Parker launched their largely collaborative careers in 1992, making a holiday short titled Jesus vs. Frosty. Their first success came from Alferd Packer: The Musical, subsequently distributed as Cannibal! The Musical. From there he made another short title Jesus vs. Santa, leading him and his college friend Trey Parker to create the animated television series South Park, which has been on television for over a decade. He has four Emmy Awards for his role in South Park, winning for both "Outstanding Programming More Than One Hour" and "Outstanding Programming Less Than One Hour".
Stone was born in Houston, Texas to Gerald Whitney Stone, Jr. (1941-2010), an economics professor and textbook author, and Sheila Lois Belasco (who share the first names of South Park character Kyle Broflovski's parents). Stone's mother is Jewish and his father was of Irish descent. Stone and his younger sister, Rachel were raised in Littleton, Colorado, a suburb of Denver, Colorado, where both attended Heritage High School. He graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder, and was their first student to double major in film and mathematics.
In 1992, Stone and Parker created Jesus vs. Frosty. It included four boys, two resembling Stan Marsh and Kyle Broflovski, one called Kenny who looked like Cartman, and a fourth unnamed boy who looked like Kenny. Both Jesus and Cannibal! The Musical were made while they were students at the University of Colorado film school, studying under both Stan Brakhage and Jerry Aronson. After the duo released Cannibal! The Musical, they were asked to make another animated short. They came down to two ideas: one a sequel to Jesus vs. Frosty, and one about a character that would later be recurring in South Park, Mr. Hankey. They chose to write about the four boys, and their decision ultimately opened the door for them to present a show (South Park) to Comedy Central. Stone and Parker produced 13 episodes for season 1. In 1999, Stone and Parker made South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, which gave the series prominence. The film's music was nominated for an Academy Award, but lost to "You'll Be In My Heart" from Tarzan.
In 1997, they also released Orgazmo, a movie rated NC-17. In 1998, they starred in (but did not write or direct) BASEketball, another feature film, while being renewed for a second season of South Park. In 2001, the duo announced they would do 39 shorts between the lengths of 2 and 5 minutes. Although originally thought to be South Park-related, they decided they would do something different. The result was the shorts 'Princess'. The content was so extreme that it was cancelled after two shows aired. In 2001, they also created That's My Bush!, another television series. Despite great reviews, the show was cancelled after one season for its cost, reportedly $700,000 per episode.
In 2004, they made a film titled Team America: World Police which many critics reviewed positively. In August 2007, South Park was renewed for three more seasons, 13, 14 and 15, each of them containing 14 episodes.
Stone is also a member of the band DVDA with Parker, for which he plays bass and drums. DVDA's songs have appeared in many of the duo's productions, including Orgazmo, BASEketball, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, and Team America: World Police.
Stone and Parker collaborated with Avenue Q composer Robert Lopez on a musical about Mormons titled The Book of Mormon, which stars Andrew Rannells, Josh Gad, Nikki M. James and Rory O'Malley. It opened at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre on March 24, 2011, and is being produced by Scott Rudin and Anne Garefino. It is directed by Parker and Casey Nicholaw, and choreographed by Nicholaw.
In April 2010, Stone and Parker received a "warning" for allegedly representing the Muslim prophet Muhammad in a bear costume: "We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Dutch director Theo van Gogh for airing this show." It was revealed in the next episode that the person in the bear costume was actually Santa Claus and not Muhammad; the "real" Muhammad was supposed to appear as well, but Comedy Central had him censored out against Stone and Parker's wishes.
Regarding religion, Stone considers himself "ethnically Jewish", on account of his mother's descent, but grew up agnostic, and has no other adherence to the religion, identifying himself as an atheist.
Year Production Role Other notes 1992 Jesus vs. Frosty Director, Actor, Producer, Writer 1994 Cannibal! The Musical Actor, Producer 1995 Jesus vs. Santa Director, Actor, Producer, Writer Your Studio and You Actor, Writer Cameo 1997 South Park (Television series; 1997–present) Co-creator, Voice actor, Writer, Director, Executive producer Orgazmo Actor, Writer, Producer Cameo 1998 BASEketball Actor 1999 South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut Voice actor, Writer, Producer Terror Firmer Actor 2000 Even If You Don't Director Music video 2001 Princess Director, Writer, Voice actor, Producer Animation shorts That's My Bush! (Television series; 2001) Co-creator, Writer, Executive producer Cameo 2003 Bowling for Columbine Interviewee 2004 Team America: World Police Writer, Voice actor, Producer 2006 This Film Is Not Yet Rated Interviewee 2007 Electric Apricot: Quest for Festeroo Actor 2007 Kenny vs. Spenny Executive Producer 2010 Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage Himself
Voices on South Park
- ^ a b Nightline, ABC News, March 25, 2011, Quote: "I am an atheist, I live my life like I'm an atheist."
- ^ a b Swanson, Carl. "Trey Parker and Matt Stone Talk About Why The Book of Mormon Isn’t Actually Offensive, and the Future of South Park", New York Magazine, March 11, 2011
- ^ a b Raphael, Rebecca. "Who is Kyle Broslofski?". Jewish News of Greater Phoenix. http://www.jewishaz.com/jewishnews/980522/kyle.shtml. Retrieved 2009-01-03.
- ^ "University of Colorado, Boulder - Alumni". University of Colorado, Boulder. http://www.colorado.edu/FilmStudies/alumni/index.shtml. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- ^ "The Spirit of Christmas: Jesus vs. Frosty". spscriptorium.com. http://www.spscriptorium.com/Treats/SOC1script.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ VH1 Press | BRIAN GRADEN's Bio
- ^ Brian Graden Biography - life, family, childhood, children, death, history, wife, school, young
- ^ "The South Park Timeline". spscriptorium.com. http://www.spscriptorium.com/SPinfo/SPTimeline1990s.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ "The Spirit of Christmas: Jesus vs. Santa". spscriptorium.com. http://www.spscriptorium.com/Treats/SOC2script.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ South Park
- ^ "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut". bbfc.co.uk. http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/6E0862C5BA46199D802567A700246877. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (1999) - Awards
- ^ Princess
- ^ "Princess". spschat.com. http://www.spschat.com/Shocked/Princess.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ That's My Bush! canceled - 2001-08-02 09:08:00 | Broadcasting & Cable
- ^ "Trey Parker and Matt Stone talk Team America: World Police". movieweb.com. http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEc4pjfcrGTdfd. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ "Interview with Matt Stone". BBC Movies. http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2005/01/13/matt_stone_team_america_interview.shtml. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ Team America: World Police Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes
- ^ South Park Gets Three More Seasons
- ^ "Soundtracks for South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158983/soundtrack. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ "Soundtracks for Orgazmo". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124819/soundtrack. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ "Soundtracks for BASEketball". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124819/soundtrack. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ "Soundtracks for Team America: World Police". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372588/soundtrack. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- ^ Associated Press (2007-09-28). "Cdn. show hits Comedy Central thanks to South Park creators". cbcnews.ca. http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2007/09/28/kenny-spenny-comedy.html. Retrieved 2009-01-03.
- ^ Adams, Guy (2008-11-19). "Mormons to get 'South Park' treatment". Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mormons-to-get-south-park-treatment-1024598.html
- ^ Hassaballa, Hesham (2010-04-26). "Hesham Hassaballa: What would Prophet Muhammad do?". Chicago Tribue. http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/religion_theseeker/2010/04/hesham-hassaballa-author-of-the-blog-god-faith-and-a-pen----i-must-admit-i-was-offended-i-was-really-bothered-by-t.html. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- ^ Otto, Jeff. "Interview: Trey Parker and Matt Stone". IGN. http://movies.ign.com/articles/612/612094p1.html. Retrieved 2009-01-03.
- ^ Swanson, Carl. "Latter-Day Saints", New York Magazine, March 6, 2011, Page 2
- ^ a b Matt Stone, NNDB, accessed April 17, 2011.
- Matt Stone and Trey Parker at the Official South Park Website
- Matt Stone at the Internet Movie Database
- Fresh Air Interview
Tony Award for Best Original Score (2001–2025)
The Producers by Mel Brooks (2001) · Urinetown by Mark Hollmann and Greg Kotis (2002) · Hairspray by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (2003) · Avenue Q by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx (2004) · The Light in the Piazza by Adam Guettel (2005) · The Drowsy Chaperone by Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison (2006) · Spring Awakening by Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater (2007) · In the Heights by Lin-Manuel Miranda (2008) · Next to Normal by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey (2009) · Memphis by David Bryan and Joe DiPietro (2010) · The Book of Mormon by Trey Parker, Robert Lopez and Matt Stone (2011)
Complete list · (1947–1975) · (1976–2000) · (2001–2025) Trey Parker and Matt Stone Films Television Shorts Music Theater South ParkTrey Parker · Matt Stone Characters Seasons1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 Features Media releasesThe Spirit of Christmas · DVDs · Chef Aid: The South Park Album · South Park Imaginationland: The Movie · "Chocolate Salty Balls" · South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Soundtrack: "Blame Canada" · "What Would Brian Boitano Do?") · "Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld" · Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics Video games Books and
pop cultureSouth Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today (Robert Arp) · South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating (Richard Hanley) · South Park Conservatives: The Revolt Against Liberal Media Bias (Brian C. Anderson) · South Park Republican (Andrew Sullivan)
Wikipedia booksSouth Park · Seasons of South Park · Seasons: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 Kenny vs. Spenny Competitors Executive Producers Networks Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Matt Stone — en 2007. Nombre real Matthew Richard Broslovski Stone Nacimiento 26 de mayo de 1971 (40 años) Houston, Texas … Wikipedia Español
Matt Stone — Matt Stone, 2007 Matthew Richard „Matt“ Stone (* 26. Mai 1971 in Houston, Texas) ist ein US amerikanischer Schauspieler, Drehbuchautor, Produzent und Regisseur. Er ist bekannt als Schöpfer der Fernsehserie South Park, die er zusammen mit seinem… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Matt Stone — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Stone. Matt Stone en 2007 Matthew Richard Stone (né le 26 mai 1971 à Houston … Wikipédia en Français
Matt Stone — Matthew Stone (26 de mayo 1971) es uno de los cocreadores de la serie de televisión South Park. Aunque nació en Houston, Texas, Stone fue criado en un suburbio de Littleton, Colorado en Denver. Tiene títulos en cinematografía y matemáticas de la… … Enciclopedia Universal
Matt Stone — … Википедия
Matt (Name) — Matt ist ein männlicher Vorname sowie ein Familienname. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Herkunft und Bedeutung 2 Bekannte Namensträger 2.1 Vorname 2.2 Familienname … Deutsch Wikipedia
Stone (Familienname) — Stone ist ein Familienname. Bekannte Namensträger Inhaltsverzeichnis A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z … Deutsch Wikipedia
Matt — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Matt peut être un prénom, ou encore le diminutif des prénoms Matthew, Matthieu ou Matthias: Matt Blunt, homme politique américain Matt Damon, acteur… … Wikipédia en Français
Stone (surname) — TOC Real peopleUnited StatesPolitics*Bernard Stone (born 1927) is alderman of the 50th Ward in Chicago *David Stone (1770 1818), governor of North Carolina (1808 1810) *Frederick Stone (1820 1899), American politician from Maryland *Harlan Fiske… … Wikipedia
Stone — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sur les autres projets Wikimedia : « Stone », sur le Wiktionnaire (dictionnaire universel) … Wikipédia en Français