Brussels Airlines


Brussels Airlines

Infobox_Airline
airline = Brussels Airlines



logo_size = 250px
fleet_size = 52
destinations = 115 (with codeshare)
IATA = SN
ICAO = BEL
callsign = BEE-LINE
parent = SN Airholding N.V.
company_slogan = "Flying your way"
founded = 7 November 2006
headquarters = b.house Zaventem, Belgium
key_people = Bernard Gustin (Managing director);Michel Meyfroidt (Managing director); Etienne Davignon, Chairman| hubs = Brussels Airport
frequent_flyer = Privilege
lounge = Business Centre
alliance = Star Alliance (future)
website = [http://www.brusselsairlines.com/ brusselsairlines.com]

Brussels Airlines is the largest Belgian airline. It operates to over 50 destinations in 20 European countries as well as long-haul flights to East, Central and West Africa. It also operates charter services, maintenance and training of cockpit and cabin crew ["Flight International "27 March 2007] . The airline is a member of IATA and the Association of European Airlines (AEA).

History

Brussels Airlines was created following the merger of SN Brussels Airlines (SNBA) and Virgin Express. On 12 April 2005, SN Airholding, the company behind SNBA, signed an agreement with Richard Branson, giving it control over Virgin Express. On 31 March 2006 SNBA and Virgin Express announced their merger into a single company. On 7 November 2006, the new name, Brussels Airlines, was announced at a press conference at Brussels Airport. Brussels Airlines began operations on 25 March 2007.

In January 2007, the company announced it had acquired a fourth Airbus A330-300, from the defunct company Air Madrid.

Through its Mauritius based subsidiary Pan African Airlines Leasing Company Ltd, Brussels Airlines founded the Congolese airline AirDC, of which it owns 49%, and partner airline Hewa Bora Airways owning the remaining 51% [ [http://company.brusselsairlines.com/en/news/detail.aspx?uri=tcm:141-17451 Brussels Airlines press release December 3, 2007] ] .

In December 2007 the airline expressed interest in joining an airline alliances, considering it a priority for the airline. [ [http://www.flandersnews.be/cm/flandersnews.be/News/071204_BrusselsAirlines Belgian Airliner to join alliance? December 4, 2007] ]

In July 2008 it appeared that the project "AirDC" was delayed, as the Congolese government did not give the required authorizations to start the new airline with Mauritian registered aircraft (through the Brussels Airlines owned and Mauritius based Pan African Airlines Leasing Company Ltd). Fact|date=August 2008

On August 28, 2008 the German airline Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines announced a possible linkup. [ [http://konzern.lufthansa.com/en/html/presse/pressemeldungen/index.html?c=nachrichten/app/show/en/2008/08/852/HOM&s=0] ]

On September 15, 2008 it was announced that Lufthansa will acquire a 45% stake in Brussels Airlines with an option to acquire the remaining 55% from 2011. As a part of this deal Brussels Airlines will join Star Alliance. A date for the airline's entry into the alliance has yet to be determined. [http://konzern.lufthansa.com/en/html/presse/pressemeldungen/index.html?c=nachrichten/app/show/en/2008/09/857/HOM&s=0 Official press release by Lufthansa ] [http://company.brusselsairlines.com/en/news/detail.aspx?uri=tcm:141-19030 Official press release by Brussels Airlines]

Company

Brussels Airlines is the operating name of Delta Air Transport S.A./N.V..cite web | title = General Conditions of Carriage | publisher = Brussels Airlines | url = http://company.brusselsairlines.com/en/legal/misc/legalmentions.aspx | accessdate = 2008-06-17 ] From June 2008, the ICAO code is no longer DAT but BEL. On June 3rd 2008, the CEO, Philippe Vander Putten resigned. The board appointed Michel Meyfroidt and Bernard Gustin as Managing Directors.

Service

On European flights, the airline offers two types of ticket, b.flex economy+ and b.light economy:
* b.flex economy+ is the more expensive ticket, offering full service, such as free newspapers and catering.
* b.light economy is the cheapest option, with snacks and drinks available for purchase.

On medium- and long-haul flights (Africa, Moscow, Helsinki, Toronto and Tel Aviv) Brussels Airlines continues to offer economy and business classes.

Destinations

Fleet

The Brussels Airlines fleet consists of the following aircraft as of June 2008: [ [http://company.brusselsairlines.com/en/company/fleet.aspx Brussels Airlines Fleet Information] ]


Airbus A319
Avro RJ85
Avro RJ85

Fleet

Brussels Airline is planning to slowly retire older BAe and 737 aircraft for newer Airbus A320s, Boeing 737NGs or E-Jets.Fact|Please provide a source for this statement.| ()|date=September 2008

Livery

The livery is similar to SN Brussels Airlines, with minor changes. The tail now has a 'dotted B' logo instead of the Sabena 'S-tail'. The orange cheatline on the fuselage has been removed. The light blue belly has been extended to cover the whole aircraft's length. The name 'Brussels Airlines' is written in dark blue on the upper fuselage, preceded by the airline's 'b' logo. Most planes have an altered 'b' logo after superstitious travelers complained about the thirteen dots bringing bad luck. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6383171.stm BBC News: 'Unlucky' airline logo grounded] ] The logo now contains fourteen dots. The callsign changed from S-TAIL to BRUSSELS AIRLINES and later to BEE-LINE.

Codeshare agreements

Brussels Airlines has codeshare agreements with the following airlines: [ [http://company.brusselsairlines.com/en/company/partnerairlines.aspx Brussels Airlines Codeshare Agreements] ]


*Air Baltic (Riga)
*Air Malta (Malta)
*Air Sénégal International (Dakar)
*Alitalia (Rome, Milan Malpensa/Linate, Bologna, Turin)
*American Airlines (All US routes)
*British Airways (London Heathrow)
*Bulgaria Air (Sofia)
*Croatia Airlines (Zagreb)
*Cyprus Airways (Larnaca)
*El Al (Tel Aviv)
*Ethiopian Airlines (Addis Ababa)
*Etihad Airways (Abu Dhabi)
*Finnair (Helsinki)
*Flybe (Manchester, Southampton - ends soon)
*Hainan Airlines (Beijing)
*Jet Airways (Toronto, Newark, New York-JFK,Chennai, Dehli, Mumbai, Bangalore - begins soon)
*Lithuanian Airlines (Vilnius)
*LOT Polish Airlines (Warsaw)
*Malév Hungarian Airlines (Budapest)
*Malmö Aviation (Göteborg, Stockholm Bromma)
*Royal Air Maroc (Casablanca)
*Swiss International Air Lines (Zurich, Geneva)
*TAROM (Bucharest Otopeni)
*Ukraine International Airlines (Kiev)

References

External links

* [http://www.brusselsairlines.com Brussels Airlines official website]
* [http://www.b-places.com Brussels Airlines b.Places]
* [http://www.btheremag.com/ b.There! inflight magazine]
* [http://www.bspiritmagazine.com/ b.Spirit! inflight magazine]
* [http://www.youtube.com/user/brusselsairlines Brussels Airlines] at YouTube


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Brussels Airlines — Brussels Airlines …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Brussels Airlines — Brussels Airlines …   Википедия

  • Brussels Airlines — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Brussels Airlines ARJ 85 de Brussels Airlines …   Wikipedia Español

  • Brussels Airlines — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Bruxelles (homonymie). Brussels Airlines …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Brussels Airlines — ▪ Belgian airline formerly  SABENA World Airlines        Belgian airline whose predecessor, SN Brussels Airlines, was formed in 2001 following the bankruptcy of SABENA (Société Anonyme Belge d Exploitation de la Navigation Aérienne; Belgian… …   Universalium

  • Brussels Airlines destinations — Brussels Airlines serves the following destinations (former Virgin Express, SN Brussels Airlines and Sabena destinations combined): FORCETOC Africa*Angola **Luanda (Quatro de Fevereiro Airport) *Burundi **Bujumbura (Bujumbura International… …   Wikipedia

  • SN Brussels Airlines — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda SN Brussels Airlines (IATA: SN, ICAO: DAT), también conocida como SNBA, fue el nombre comercial de una aerolínea belga, Delta Air Transport, que operaba desde el Aeropuerto de Bruselas Zaventem. SNBA fue una… …   Wikipedia Español

  • SN Brussels Airlines — Infobox Airline airline= Brussels Airlines logo size=250px fleet size=38 destinations=90 IATA=SN ICAO=DAT callsign=ESTAIL parent=SN Airholding company slogan = Passionate about you | founded= 2002 Defunct=2006headquarters= The Corporate… …   Wikipedia

  • SN Brussels Airlines — Codes AITA OACIL Indicatif d appel SN …   Wikipédia en Français

  • SN Brussels Airlines — SN Brussels Airlines …   Deutsch Wikipedia


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.