Bennie Smith (
October 5 1933, St. Louis, Missouri- September 10 2006, St. Louis, Missouri) was a St. Louis blues guitarist, considered to be one of the city's ( [http://www.bigmuddyblues.com/music.htm] ) patriarchs of electric blues.
His sound was emblematic of a St. Louis blues music that he helped define in over half a century practicing his trade. His contributions to the genre in that city, from the early 1950s and almost until the day of his death, included mentor, performer, and recording artist.
Due to his significant contribution to blues music in St. Louis, in October 2003 he received a proclamation from mayor
Francis Slaymarking October 5, 2003 as 'Bennie Smith Day' in that city. The board of alderman similarly honored Mr. Smith, recognizing him as the "Dean of St. Louis Electric Guitarists". [http://stlcin.missouri.org/cityjournal/PDF/86_27_a.pdf] During the 2006 'Big Muddy Blues Festival' in St. Louis, Mayor Slay honored Bennie once again on September 2 of that year, declaring that day also be known as 'Bennie Smith Day' in St. Louis.
Smith worked as a session man on many recordings over the years, and has three original albums to his name: 'The Urban Soul of Bennie Smith' (Blues Highway - 1993), 'Shook Up' (Fedora Records - 2001)), and 'The Bennie Smith All Star Session' (2006). In a notable 1958 session, Smith was invited to contribute on what would be
Tina Turner's first recording, 'Boxtop'. The song featured Ike Turnerwith 'Little Ann' on backing vocals, and Smith on guitar. In addition, he has played with such guitar players as Hubert Sumlin, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, B.B. Kingand Grant Green.
*"The Urban Soul of Bennie Smith" 1993 (Blues Highway Music)
*"Shook Up" 2001 (Fedora Records)
*"Bennie Smith All-Star Sessions" 2006
In addition to his featured albums, Smith provided lead and rhythm guitar on a number of released singles and albums. These included:
essions - singles
*"Boxtop", Ike Turner, (with Tina Turner (a.k.a. Little Ann) on vocals) 1958 (Tune Town)
*"Mistreated", Clayton Love with the Roosevelt Marks Orchestra, 1958-59 (Bobbin). It is likely that Smith recorded other songs with the Roosevelt Marks Orchestra during the period from 1958 to 1961.
*"Condition Your Heart", Little Herbert and the Arabians, 1961
*"Shook Up Over You", Jimmy "Soul" Clark, 1963
essions - albums
*"Mean Disposition", Big Bad Smitty, 1991 (Adelphi/Genes. This album is included in the Library of Congress) - Mr Smith shared the lead guitar role with
*"Cold Blood", Big Bad Smitty, 1997 (HMG)
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brownand Matt "Guitar" Murphy as his two greatest influences on the guitar.
As a complication to lung cancer, Mr. Smith suffered a heart attack at his home on
September 9 2006. He died on September 10 2006.
* [http://www.bluesworld.com/ONEEYE.html BluesWorld - Bennie Smith] - Partial biography (missing the years after around 1995-1996)
* [http://www.stlblues.net/smith.html Interview with Smith]
* [http://www.riverfronttimes.com/Issues/2006-04-26/news/feature_1.html An article on St. Louis blues musicians featuring Smith]
* [http://www.rftstl.com/Issues/2002-12-18/music/music2.html Newspaper Article] - Riverfront Times - A St. Louis Newspaper
* [http://riverfronttimes.com/bestof/award.php?oid=oid:37305§ion=oid:29276&year=2005 Best Blues in St. Louis 2005] - Riverfront Times Readers Poll
* [http://riverfronttimes.com/bestof/award.php?oid=oid:31719§ion=oid:29276&year=2004 Best Blues in St. Louis 2004] - Riverfront Times Readers Poll - Mention of Mayor's Proclamation in his honour
* [http://www.bigmuddyblues.com/music.htm 2005 Big Muddy Blues Festival] - Showing Bennie and Henry Townsend together and "listed as St. Louis Patriarchs of Blues"
* [http://www.loc.gov/folklife/selectlst/selrec92.html Folk Life - Library of Congress] - American Folk Music and Folklore Recordings: A Selected List 1992 (Entry on Big Bad Smitty with mention of Bennie Smith)
* [http://www.bluesworld.com/Smitty.html BluesWorld - Big Bad Smitty] - Mention of Bennie Smith
* [http://www.bluenight.com/BluesBytes/wn0501.html Blues Bytes review of Bennie's Album 'Shook Up]
* [http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stcharles/story/3F14656AE9DD2460862571E60019B3D8?OpenDocument Obituary (St. Louis Post Dispatch)] - Bennie Smith: Regarded as dean of electric blues guitarists
* [http://www.notmuch.com/Audio/RAfiles/031011c.ram National Public Radio show (U.S.A.) - "Whaddya Know? (Not Much)" (Real Media)] - October 11, 2003, Short Interview, Performance, 2 Songs: Wish You Well, Drown In My Own Tears
* [http://bestof.riverfronttimes.com/bestof/award.php?oid=oid:101102§ion=oid:29276&year=2006 Best Blues in St. Louis 2006] Riverfront Times Readers Poll - References to his death and mention of Mayor's second Proclamation in his honour
* [http://www.riverfronttimes.com/Issues/2006-09-13/news/news2.html Blue Sunday] Riverfront Times article/obituary by Malcolm Gay (staff writer)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bennie Thompson — Bennie G. Thompson (* 28. Januar 1948 in Bolton, Mississippi) ist ein US amerikanischer Politiker der Demokratischen Partei. Er ist seit 1993 Abgeordneter im US Repräsentantenhaus und vertritt er den 2. Kongresswahlbezirk des Bundesstaates Miss … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bennie Benjamin — 1947, Foto: Gottlieb Bennie Benjamin (eigentlich Claude A. Benjamin, * 4. November 1907 in Christiansted, Saint Croix, Amerikanische Jungferninseln; † 2. Mai 1989 in New York City) war ein US amerikanischer Songwriter … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bennie Moten — Chartplatzierungen Erklärung der Daten Einzelnachweise für US Billboard Black 78er South US Black: 12 – 1925 (1 W.) Kansas City Shuffle US Black: 18 – 1927 (1 W.) Moten Stomp US Black: 16 – 1928 (2 W.) South US Bl … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bennie Krueger — Brunswick 78er Bennie Krueger s Orchestra „I Wonder What s Become of Sally“ Bennie Krueger war ein US amerikanischer Jazz Altsaxophonist, Komponist und Bigband Leader im Bereich des Chicago Jazz und der Populären Musik. Kr … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bennie Benjamin — Claude A. ( Bennie ) Benjamin was a songwriter, often teaming with George David Weiss. He was born on November 4, 1907 in Christiansted on the island of St. Croix (United States Virgin Islands). At the age of twenty, he moved to New York City.… … Wikipedia
Bennie L. Woolley, Jr. — Chip Woolley Occupation Trainer Born December 21, 1963 Raton, New Mexico, United States Career wins 400+ Major racing wins, honours and awards … Wikipedia
Ben Smith — or Benjamin Smith may refer to:*Ben Smith (football player) (born 1911), American football player *Ben Smith (American football) (born 1967), former NFL player *Ben Smith (cricketer) (born 1972), English cricketer *Ben Smith (midfielder) (born… … Wikipedia
"King" Bennie Nawahi — Bennie Nawahi King Bennie Nawahi Background information Birth name Benjamin Keakahiawa Nawahi Also known as King Bennie Nawahi Bo … Wikipedia
Howard K. Smith — Infobox Person name = Howard Kingsbury Smith image size=200px caption = Howard K. Smith as he appears at the Delta Music Museum in Ferriday, Louisianabirth date = Birth date|1914|5|12 birth place = Ferriday, Concordia Parish, Louisiana, USA death … Wikipedia
Larry Smith (football) — College coach infobox Name = Larry Smith Caption = DateOfBirth = birth date|1939|9|12 Birthplace = Van Wert, Ohio DateOfDeath = death date and age|2008|1|28|1939|9|12 Deathplace = Tucson, Arizona Sport = American football College = Title = Head… … Wikipedia