- Jefferson Highway
:"For the Jefferson Highway from Richmond to
Staunton, Virginia, see Jefferson Highway (Virginia). For the one in Oregon, see Jefferson Highway (Oregon)."
The Jefferson Highway was an
automobilehighway stretching through the central United Statesfrom New Orleans, Louisiana, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The Jefferson Highway was replaced with the new numbered US Highway system in the late 1920s. Portions of the highway are still named Jefferson Highway, for example, the portions that run through Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, Osseo, Minnesota, and Wadena, Minnesota.
It was built in the 1910s as part of the
National Auto Trailsystem.
The Jefferson Highway was inspired by the east-west
It was nicknamed the "Palm to Pine Highway", for the varying types of trees found at either end.
The cities the highway passed on its route included
Alexandria, Louisiana; Shreveport, Louisiana; Marshall, Texas; Muskogee, Oklahoma; Baxter Springs, Kansas; Paola, Kansas; Kansas City, Missouri; Saint Joseph, Missouri; Des Moines, Iowa; Ames, Iowa; Mason City, Iowa; Albert Lea, Minnesota; Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Bemidji, Minnesota. Jefferson Lines, an intercity bus company, operates service from Texas to Winnipeg, and takes its name from the old Jefferson Highway.
National Auto Trail
United States Highway system
* [http://maps.bc.ca/jeffhwy/jeffmap.htm Jefferson Highway Map]
* [http://www.marion.ohio-state.edu/fac/schul/trails/national/jefferson.html Jefferson Highway]
* [http://www.jeffersonlines.com/ Jefferson Lines home page]
* [http://www.morrisoncountyhistory.org/histpalmpine.html Palm to Pine]
* [http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/iowa/newsletter/Paul's%20NL%20Archive/003/003.html Welcome to the Jefferson Highway] (Section of Iowa Lincoln Highway Association newsletter Summer/Fall 2000)
* [http://www.powersmuseum.com/about/jeffhwy2.html More on the Jefferson Highway] (Powers Museum, Carthage, Missouri)
* [http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/mdt&CISOPTR=177&CISOBOX=1&REC=6 Jefferson Highway legal description within Minnesota] , filed with the Minnesota Department of Highways on
August 9, 1917
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jefferson Highway — Schild des Jefferson Highway Der Jefferson Hightway war zu Beginn der Motorisierung Nordamerikas eine Route, die sich von New Orleans im US amerikanischen Bundesstaat Louisiana bis ins kanadische Winnipeg zog. Als in den 1920er Jahren das System… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Jefferson Lines — and Jefferson Tours are operated by Jefferson Partners L.P., a Minneapolis, Minnesota based family company with roots extending to the early days of motorcoach travel.Jefferson operates a fleet of modern coaches in passenger and express scheduled … Wikipedia
Jefferson Inn and Suites — (Jefferson,США) Категория отеля: 2 звездочный отель Адрес: 3401 Jefferson H … Каталог отелей
Jefferson Davis Highway — The Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway was a transcontinental highway in the United States from Washington, D.C. west to San Diego, California. It was named for Jefferson Davis (1808 1889). He was an American soldier, U.S. Congressman, and… … Wikipedia
Jefferson Parish, Louisiana — Coordinates: 29°44′N 90°06′W / 29.733°N 90.1°W / 29.733; 90.1 … Wikipedia
Highway — Als Highway werden im US amerikanischen Sprachgebrauch alle Hauptverkehrsstraßen bezeichnet, die dem Fernverkehr dienen. Dixie Highway in Florida (1914) Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Frühe H … Deutsch Wikipedia
Jefferson County, Arkansas — Jefferson County courthouse in Pine Bluff, Arkansas … Wikipedia
Jefferson County, Texas — The Jefferson County Courthouse in Beaumont. The Art Deco style building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 17, 1982. The building is one of the few completely original Art Deco s … Wikipedia
Jefferson Davis Parish, Louisiana — Location in the state of Louisiana … Wikipedia
Jefferson County, Wisconsin — Location in the state of Wisconsin … Wikipedia