The Angry Beavers
The Angry Beavers
Tile card featuring Daggett (left) and Norbert (right) Beaver
Genre Comedy Format Animated series Created by Mitch Schauer Voices of Richard Steven Horvitz
Country of origin United States No. of seasons 4 No. of episodes 63 (List of episodes) Production Running time 22 minutes Production company(s) Gunther-Wahl Productions
Nickelodeon Animation Studios
Broadcast Original channel Nickelodeon Original run April 19, 1997– November 11, 2003 External links Website
The Angry Beavers is an American animated television series created by Mitch Schauer for the Nickelodeon channel. The series revolves around Daggett and Norbert Beaver, two young beaver brothers who have left their home to become bachelors in the forest near Wayouttatown, Oregon. The show premiered in the United States on April 19, 1997 and completed its run on November 11, 2003. The show started airing on the Nickelodeon Canada channel when it launched on November 2, 2009.
- Daggett Doofus Beaver: Daggett (usually nicknamed as "Dag" and "Daggy") is the younger twin brother of Norbert
ic motions as well as a potent penchant for name-calling. He shares with his brother a typical brotherly love-hate relationship, supporting and antagonizing his elder sibling as his mood requires. While he is occasionally capable of intellectual competence, he is generally overshadowed by his brother when faced with challenges that require mental capacity. His catchphrase is "That was nuts!" He is voiced by Richard Steven Horvitz.
- Norbert Foster Beaver: Norbert (usually nicknamed as "Norb" and "Norby") is Daggett's laid-back older twin brother. Generally well-spoken and quite intelligent, Norbert is a highly sarcastic beaver with a habit of performing great feats of impeccable engineering with aplomb and without explanation. While he is frequently manipulative of his younger brother and just as often condescending he shows great concern and love for Daggett, constantly soliciting and imposing hugs on the less receptive sibling. He is voiced by Nick Bakay.
- Stump: Stump is a tree stump friend of the beaver brothers. Despite his kind's tendency toward lifelessness, Stump is apparently self-aware and animate. He frequents many of the beavers' social events, forming an integral part of their inner circle. He's is known around the forest as someone who goes out of his way to help other, and thusly is well liked throughout the forest.
- Barry Bear: Barry Bear, a character based on Barry White, is a hulking yet kind-hearted friend to the beaver brothers. Possessed of a sultry, deep voice, Barry is a prodigious singer and die-hard vegetarian, contrary to his species' generally carnivorous nature. While he is occasionally manipulated by and tormented by Norbert and Daggett, he maintains a close and easy-going friendship with the pair. Barry is voiced by John Garry.
- Treeflower: Treeflower is the love of Norbert's life, whom he met at a concert (a parody of Woodstock) in Bummer of Love. Once a hippie beaver, she successfully works in versatile jobs, e.g. as an elevator-music composer (as noted in the episode Tree of Hearts) and firefighter (as noted in A Little Dad'll Do You). She was voiced by Cynthia Mann.
- Bing: Bing is an annoying lizard who hangs around Norbert and Daggett, introduced in episode The Bing That Wouldn't Leave. Bing talks extremely fast and often employs circular logic. Victor Wilson provided Bing's hyperactive voice. It is not confirmed what kind of lizard Bing is; however, he is seen changing colors like a chameleon and losing his tail like a gecko.
- Truckee: Truckee is a trucker shrew who thinks only about trucks and shrews, introduced in the episode Tree of Hearts. Truckee hates Daggett and the feeling is mutual. In addition, he briefly dated Treeflower, causing animosity between him and Norbert.
- Wolffe D. Wolf: He is a grey wolf who tends to be a little laid back. He does show some interest in most common things.
- Big Rabbit Or Big Bunny: He is a humungous rabbit. It is revealed that he has two younger brothers and lives with his parents. He has a tattoo on his right arm. His dad has his left foot taken off by charm hunters, and his mom is a pro at wrestling. He was one time hired as Norb and Dag's bodyguard.
- Racoon: He is a recurring wild character.
- The Female Racoon Tribe: They are a crazy tribe of racoons that believe in godly power.
- Laverta Lutz: She is a magical lady who showed up at the bowling alley. She has the power to grant a wish to anyone. The only one who knows of this is Dag. She normally talks with a little phlegm.
- Oxnard Montalvo: Oxnard is Norbert and Daggett's favorite B-movie actor, introduced in the episode Up All Night. Norbert and Daggett often watch black and white horror movies (these are very seriously drawn, contrary to the regular style of the show), which are an obvious homage to 1950's horror movies. Named after two streets in Los Angeles, Montalvo resembles B-movie stars like John Agar and Peter Graves (who guest stars in the Halloween special, The Day the World Got Really Screwed Up!). Oxnard Montalvo is voiced by Tom Kane.
- Toluca Lake: Toluca is another B-movie actor, introduced in Up All Night, who often accompanies Oxnard Montalvo as the damsel in distress. The name plays on the eponymous California city Toluca Lake, and is also a reference to 1940s actress Veronica Lake.
- El Grapadura (The Stapler): The beavers' (especially Daggett's) favorite vale tudo/lucha libre wrestler, introduced in Kandid Kreatures. Daggett has an autographed copy of his board game, "El Grapadura and Ladders" (a reference to Snakes and Ladders).[original research?]
- Scientist #1 and Pete: A pair of scientists introduced in the episode Stinky Toe. They call the beavers "pointy weasels" and try to use them for very strange experiments. Scientist No. 1 (voiced by Edward Winter) has a distinctive cleft chin and always wears sunglasses; he is just as arrogant as he is incapable. Since the third season, he has a name plate with a "1" on his coat, although his real name may likely be Todd based on his dialogue in a later episode where he mentions about wanting to name the world Todd. It is revealed in one episode that he never even went to college. Pete speaks in an unintelligible mutter that only Scientist No. 1 seems to understand. At one point, they wore green coats, making them environmentalists.
- Bill Licking: Bill Licking was a presenter of TV shows and prototype of a touting salesman. He wears an "impressive" black wig. He was introduced in the episode Born to Be Beavers. Licking has often been known to manipulate Daggett and Norbert into being filmed for fraudulent documentaries. Voiced by Gregg Berger.
- Stacy and Chelsea: The twin younger sisters of Norbert and Daggett, their birth led to their eviction from their family's home. They were first identified in the episode If You In-Sisters, though before their official introduction they are shortly shown in Born to Be Beavers as newborns without their names or even their genders identified. Chelsea bears a resemblance to and acts much like Daggett in her hyperactivity and speech patterns, while Stacy apparently takes after Norbert in appearance and personality. They are much more familiar and united than their brothers. They both adore their older brothers and hate it when they fight. They are named after and voiced by creator Mitch Schauer's daughters.
- "Mom" and "Dad": Norbert and Daggett's parents. Following the birth of their youngest children, they kicked the elder beaver brothers out of their dam to make room for the new offspring. In spite of this stern approach to their sons, they love the two of them greatly. Daggett shares a great many physical features in common with his mother, but relates to and gets along with his father the best; the opposite is true for Norbert, visibly taking after his father but behaving remarkably like his mother.
64 episodes were produced.
There were several in-jokes throughout The Angry Beavers run. One involves Richard Steven Horvitz, the voice of Daggett, being mentioned in the episode "Tree of Hearts", as well as the birth of his oldest son, Jake Elliot Horvitz, who was born on April 11, 1998:
- Norbert: [reading mail] Hey, Daggett! Look at this! [reading letter] Richard Horvitz had a little baby boy, April 11th!
- Daggett: Ooh!
- Norbert: Jake Elliot Horvitz.
- Daggett: Wow! That's great!
- Norbert: I think so.
- Daggett: Who's Richard Horvitz ?
- Norbert: Nobody.
The use of "spoot" in place of swear words, such as an in exclamation ("Oh spoot!") or a descriptor ("What a pile of spoot" or "You're a spoot-head"), was another form of in-jokes in the series. Although these were said primarily by Daggett, they were used by Norbert from time to time.
Both beavers would often mispronounce common words in pseudo-French or otherwise foreign pronunciation. For example, pronouncing refrigerator as "re-frige-er-A-twoah/re-frige-er-ize-or", mine as "my-yun", natural which Norbert pronounces as "nature-ral", and "Canada" as "Ca-naa-da". Characters would also elongate words, particularly each other's names, with superfluous syllables, such as "Norbie-orbie" and "Dag-a-lag-a-ding-dong." On occasion, they would use foreign words but mispronounce them: for example, pronouncing the French word "moi" phonetically as "moy".
iTunes released several episodes of angry beavers in 'Best of' Volumes 1-3. It has also been made available on Netflix via their Instant View service, however Netflix has full seasons.
Volume Episode Number Episode Name Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 1 1 Born To Be Beavers / Up All Night Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 1 2 A Dam Too Far / Long In The Teeth Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 1 3 Gift Hoarse / Go Beavers! Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 1 4 Beach Beavers A Go-Go / Deranged Ranger Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 1 5 Muscular Beaver / Fish And Dips Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 1 6 Enter The Daggett / Bug-A-Boo Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 1 7 Mission To The Big, Hot, Thingy / I Dare You Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 2 1 Stinky Toe / House Broken Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 2 2 Trees Company / Guess Who's Stumping To Dinner Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 2 3 Fancy Prance / H-2 Whoa Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 2 4 The Bing Wouldn't Leave / You Promised Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 2 5 Kandid Kreatures / Fakin' It Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 2 6 Same Time Last Week / Beaver Fever Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 2 7 Muscular Beaver II / Stump Looks For His Roots Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 3 1 Tree Of Hearts / Dag For Nite Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 3 2 Mighty Knot Head / Pond Scum Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 3 3 Lumberjack's Delight / Zooing Time Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 3 4 Friends, Romans, Beavers / Big Round Sticky Fish Thingy Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 3 5 If You Insisters / Alley Oops! Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 3 6 Open Wide For Zombies / Dumbwaiters Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 3 7 Gonna Getcha / Sans - A - Pelt Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 4 1 The Day the Earth Really Got Screwed Up Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 4 2 My BunnyGuard / What's Eating You? Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 4 3 Omega Beaver / Bite This Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 4 4 Spooky Spoots / Up All Day Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 4 5 Muscular Beaver III / Sang 'em High Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 4 6 In Search of Big Byoo-Tox / Moronathon Man Best of Angry Beavers Vol. 4 7 Pass it On / Stump's Family Reunion Nick Rewinds Vol. 1 1 Born To Be Beavers / Up All Night Nick Rewinds Vol. 2 1 A Dam Too Far / Long In The Teeth Nick Rewinds HALLOWEEN! 1 The Day The World Got Really Screwed Up
Angry Beavers DVD releases
Amazon.com stopped selling the Create Space DVDs as a result of Shout Factory now producing their own sets.
CreateSpace Releases Release date Discs Episodes Best of Angry Beavers Season 1 June 28, 2010 3 11 Best of Angry Beavers Season 2 December 8, 2010 3 19 Best of Angry Beavers Season 3 December 8, 2010 3 19 Shout Factory Releases Release date Discs Episodes Season 1 & 2 August 23, 2011 4 26 Season 3: Part 1 February 28, 2012 2 11 Season 3: Part 2 TBA 2 11 Season 4 TBA 3 15
In other media
The Angry Beavers appeared in Nicktoons Racing for the PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, PC, Game Boy Color, and Arcade, as playable characters. Norbert and Daggett had a cameo as a Trophy in Nicktoons: Attack of the Toybots.
Awards and nominations
Award Category Nominee Result World Animation Celebration Best Animation Produced for Daytime Mitch Schauer Won World Animation Celebration Best Director for Daytime Series Robert Hughes Won Motion Picture Sound Editors, USA Best Sound Editing — Television Animated Series Unknown Nominated Motion Picture Sound Editors, USA Best Sound Editing — Television Animated Series Tim Borquez, Thom Syslo Nominated Daytime Emmy Awards Outstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing — Special Class Timothy J. Garrity Nominated Daytime Emmy Awards Outstanding Sound Editing - Special Class Thomas Syslo,Timothy Borquez, Eric Freeman, Rick Hammel, Les Wolf and Marc Mailand Won Annie Awards Outstanding Achievement in a Daytime Animated Television Program Mitch Schauer Nominated Annie Awards Outstanding Individual Achievement for Effects Animation Joel Krasnove Nominated Annie Awards Outstanding Individual Achievement for Production Design in an Animated Television Production Dan Chessher Nominated Annie Awards Best Individual Achievement: Production Design in a TV Production Mitch Schauer Won Annie Awards Best Promotional Production (for main title) Unknown Nominated
Nicktoons 1991-1995 1996-2000 2001-2005 2006-2010 Currently running Upcoming seriesThe Last Airbender: Legend of Korra · T-M-N-T Nicktoons channel
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Angry Beavers — Título Los castores cascarrabias Género Animación Reparto Richard Steven Horvitz Nick Bakay País de origen … Wikipedia Español
The Angry Beavers — Seriendaten Deutscher Titel: Die Biber Brüder Originaltitel: The Angry Beavers Produktionsland: USA Produktionsjahr(e): 1997–2001 Episodenlänge: etwa 22 Minuten Episodenanzahl … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of The Angry Beavers episodes — This is a list of episodes from the Nickelodeon animated television series []. Contents 1 Series overview 2 Episodes 2.1 Season 1: 1997 2.2 Season 2: 1998 … Wikipedia
Angry Beavers — Seriendaten Deutscher Titel: Die Biber Brüder Originaltitel: The Angry Beavers Produktionsland: USA Produktionsjahr(e): 1997–2001 Episodenlänge: etwa 22 Minuten Episodenanzahl … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Ren & Stimpy Show — Title card Also known as Ren Stimpy Genre Black comedy … Wikipedia
The Simpsons Movie — The Simpsons Movie … Wikipedia
The Wild Thornberrys — Format Animation Created by Arlene Klasky Gabor Csupo … Wikipedia
The Fairly OddParents — Title card. Genre Comedy, adventure, fantasy Format … Wikipedia
The Maxx — #1, illustrated by Sam Kieth. Publication information Publisher Image Comics … Wikipedia
The X's — Clockwise from top left: Mrs. X, Mr. X, Truman X, and Tuesday X. Format Animated Comedy Created by Carlos Ramos Directed by Dave Marshall … Wikipedia