Haplogroup T (mtDNA)
Haplogroup T is a
human mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) haplogroup. Haplogroup T derives from the haplogroup JT, which also gave rise to Haplogroup J. Haplogroup T is believed to have originated in Mesopotamiaapproximately 10,000 years before present, and to have moved northwards. It is found with particularly high concentrations around the eastern Baltic Sea.
In his popular book "
The Seven Daughters of Eve", Bryan Sykes(who is himself in haplogroup T) named the originator of this mtDNA haplogroup "Tara".
Studies, which have since been proven wrong, had shown mitochondrial haplogroup T to be associated with reduced sperm motility in males. [ [http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/Mishmar2003.pdf Family Tree DNA web site] ] Such studies were not studies on fertility, and reduced fertility needn't be inferred from such results.
Notable people of haplogroup T
Russian tsar, Nicholas II, has been shown to be of haplogroup T3. This was established when genetic testing was done on his remains to authenticate his identity. As a consequence, all his matrilineal relatives have haplotype T. Assuming all relevant pedigrees are correct, this includes all female-line descendants of his female line ancestor Barbara of Celje(1390-1451), wife of Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor. This includes a great number of European nobles, including George I of Great Britainand Frederick William I of Prussia(through the Electress Sophia of Hanover), Charles I of England, George III of the United Kingdom, George V of the United Kingdom, Charles X Gustav of Sweden, Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, Maurice of Nassau, Prince of Orange, Olav V of Norway, and George I of Greece.
The American outlaw
Jesse Jameshas been shown to be of the subgroup T2.
Human mitochondrial genetics
* [http://www.jogg.info/21/Pike.pdf Phylogenetic Networks for the Human mtDNA Haplogroup T]
* [https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/pdf/PLOS_paper.pdf The Genographic Project Public Participation Mitochondrial DNA Database]
* [http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v13/n8/full/5201439a.html The population history of the Croatian linguistic minority of Molise (southern Italy): a maternal view]
* [http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/8/45 Mitochondrial DNA structure in the Arabian Peninsula]
* [http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v16/n1/full/5201906a.html New genetic evidence supports isolation and drift in the Ladin communities of the South Tyrolean Alps but not an ancient origin in the Middle East]
* [https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html?card=mm019 Spread of Haplogroup T] , from "
* [http://www.jengod.com/genealogy/family/genetic.html Genetic Genealogy: A Personal Perspective on Tara, Karelians and Kent, England]
* [http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/DNA/DK/DanishDemes-mtDNA-results-HgT.shtml Danish Demes Regional DNA Project: mtDNA Haplogroup T]
* [http://www.u.arizona.edu/~bedford/mitochondrialdna%20for%20posting.htm Analysis of a Haplogroup T sequence (T5/T2)]
* [http://www.jogg.info/21/Pike.html Phylogenetic Networks for the Human mtDNA Haplogroup T]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Haplogroup U (mtDNA) — Haplogroup U Possible time of origin 55,000 BP Possible place of origin Western Asia Ancestor R Descendants U1, U5, U6, U2 3 4 7 8 9 Defining mutations 11467, 12308, 12372 … Wikipedia
Haplogroup H (mtDNA) — Haplogroup H Possible time of origin 25,000 30,000 YBP Possible place of origin Southwest Asia Ancestor HV … Wikipedia
Haplogroup N (mtDNA) — Haplogroup N Possible time of origin Approx. 71,000 YBP Possible place of … Wikipedia
Haplogroup M (mtDNA) — In human genetics, Haplogroup M is a human mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroup. An enormous haplogroup spanning many continents, the macro haplogroup M is a branch of the haplogroup L3. M is believed to have originated in Asia [Gonzalez et al.,… … Wikipedia
Haplogroup L1 (mtDNA) — In human genetics, Haplogroup L1 is a human mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroup.Haplogroup L1 is found in West and Central sub Saharan Africa. Some of its branches (L1d, L1k, L1a, L1f) were recently re classified into haplogroup L0 as L0d, L0k,… … Wikipedia
Haplogroup N1a (mtDNA) — In human genetics Haplogroup N1a is a mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroup.N1a is a rare haplogroup as it currently appears in only .18% .2% of regional populations. It is widely distributed throughout Eurasia and Northern Africa and is divided… … Wikipedia
Haplogroup J (mtDNA) — Haplogroup J is a human mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroup. Haplogroup J derives from the haplogroup JT, which also gave rise to Haplogroup T. In his popular book The Seven Daughters of Eve , Bryan Sykes named the originator of this mtDNA… … Wikipedia
Haplogroup K (mtDNA) — Haplogroup K is a mitochondrial lineage that represents a sizeable fraction of the Western Eurasian genetic pool. It is the most common subclade of haplogroup U8 [ [http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471 2164/7/124 A. González et al. The mitochondrial … Wikipedia
Haplogroup L3 (mtDNA) — Haplogroup L3 Possible time of origin 84,000 to 104,000 YBP  Possible place of origin East Africa[2 … Wikipedia
Haplogroup V (mtDNA) — Haplogroup V Possible time of origin 13,600 YBP  Possible place of origin Western Mediterranean Ancestor HV0a Descendants V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, V7, V8, V9 Defining mutation … Wikipedia