"Moonage Daydream" Single by Arnold Corns (David Bowie) B-side "Hang on to Yourself" Released April 1971 Format 7" single Recorded 1971 Genre Rock Length 3:52 Label B&C Records CB 149 Writer(s) David Bowie Producer David Bowie Arnold Corns (David Bowie) singles chronology "Holy Holy"
"Changes" (1972) "Moonage Daydream" Song by David Bowie from the album The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars Released June 6, 1972 Recorded 1972 Genre Rock, glam rock, hard rock Length 4:37 Label RCA Records Writer David Bowie Producer David Bowie and Ken Scott The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars track listing
- Side one
- Side two
"Moonage Daydream" is a song written by David Bowie in 1971 and first released as a single under the name Arnold Corns. A rerecorded version was released in 1972 on the album The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.
In the song, the alien messiah is revealed/created, and his destiny to save the world from the disaster in "Five Years" is also hinted at, as well his fate as the quintessential "soul lover". In terms of the plot, this is one of the most important songs as it describes the creation of Ziggy from a combination of religion, romance, sexual freedom, rebellion, and passion; he metamorphoses into the archetypal rock star.
Moonage Daydream: The Life and Times of Ziggy Stardust is the title of a book written by David Bowie, published in 2002 by Genesis Publications, named after this song. The book documented the years 1972-73 and was fully illustrated with the photography of Mick Rock. David and Mick met in 1972 and formed a working relationship and lasting friendship. Subsequently, Mick Rock was allowed to become the only photographer authorised to record the 2-year career of Ziggy Stardust.
Arnold Corns version
- David Bowie
The official band line-up, fronted by dress designer Freddi Buretti, was a total fabrication; Buretti was at the session but his contributions were simply lost alongside Bowie's.
This version was also released as a bonus track on the Rykodisc rerelease of The Man Who Sold the World album (1990) with an alternate lyrics (Come on strong girl, and lay your heavy trip on me, the church of mad love is such a holy place to be...). It also appeared on the Ziggy Stardust - 30th Anniversary Reissue bonus disc in 2002.
- A live version recorded at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, 20 October 1972 was released on Santa Monica '72.
- The version played at the famous concert at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, July 3, 1973 was released on Ziggy Stardust - The Motion Picture.
- A recording from the 1974 tour was released on David Live. Another live recording from the 1974 tour was released on the rare live album A Portrait in Flesh.
- On the Outside tour in 1995 Bowie once again played "Moonage Daydream" and a new live version was released on the "Hallo Spaceboy" single in 1996. This version was also released on the bonus disc that followed some versions of Outside - Version 2
- It was released as the B-Side of the rerelease of the single "Space Oddity" in December 1972.
- It also appeared on the compilations The Best of David Bowie (Japan 1974), Starman (Russia 1989) and the Sound and Vision box set (1989).
- A new mix of the song appeared on the Ziggy Stardust - 30th Anniversary Reissue bonus disc.
Appearances in popular culture
- Featured as one of the 20 songs in Rock Band: Track Pack 1
- Appears as downloadable content in the music video game series Rock Band in a 3-song pack, along with covers of other David Bowie songs "Heroes" and "Queen Bitch".
- Appeared in the movie School of Rock.
- Canadian Idol runner-up Mitch Macdonald sang this song.
- A riff similar to the introductory guitar riff was incorporated into punk pop band Green Day's 2005 hit single, "Jesus of Suburbia".
- Crowded House - Live during their 2010 Tour available on their website 
- The Chameleons - Track on the Album This Never Ending Now
- Cienfuegos - Cienfuegos
- Dennis Dunaway Project - Hero: The Main Man Records Tribute to David Bowie (2007)
- Doofus - Music Is Murder EP (2011)
- Fingersauce- Single (2006)
- Eyfo Hayeled - Live Recording
- J. Hell - Crash Course for the Ravers - A Tribute to the Songs of David Bowie (1996)
- Wendy Ip - Spiders from Venus: Indie Women Artists and Female-Fronted Bands Cover David Bowie (2003)
- Jambi's Revenge - Origins (2010)
- Sass Jordan - Live Recording
- The Killers- Live Recording (Sept. 30, 2005, Jones Beach)
- LA Guns - Rips the Covers Off (2004)
- Low Vs. Diamond - The Saturday Sessions (2007)
- Ann Magnuson - Single
- Mars Needs Women - Hero: The Main Man Records Tribute to David Bowie (2007)
- Danny Michel - Loving the Alien: Danny Michel Sings the Songs of David Bowie (2004)
- Timothy Moldrey - The Dark Side Of David Bowie: A Tribute To David Bowie (1997)
- Of Montreal - Live many times, including at Lollapalooza 2009 with Janelle Monáe.
- Portugal. The Man - Live Recording 2009/2010
- Racer X - Second Heat and Vol. 2 - Live Extreme (1986)
- Mick Ronson - Live Recording
- Patti Rothberg - Track on the Album Candelabra Cadabra (2001)
- Mike Scott - King Electric CD Single
- Sexy Sadie - Odd tracks out! (2000)
- Shades of Red - Demo CD/Cassette
- The Smashing Pumpkins - Unreleased recording for an aborted tribute album in 1993/1994
- The Spiders from Mars - The Mick Ronson Memorial Concert (2001). Joe Elliott (vocals, acoustic guitar), Phil Collen (guitar), Bill Nelson (guitar), Trevor Bolder (bass), Woody Woodmansey, (drums), Billy Rankin (guitar), and Phil Lanzon (keyboards)
- Matthew Sweet - Live Recording
- Techno Cowboy - The Ziggy Stardust Omnichord Album (2009)
- 10,000 Maniacs - Single
- Terrorvision - Long Live Tibet (various artists) (1997)
- Warrior Soul - (Love Is) The Drug single (1995)
- The White Stripes - Live Recording (Nov. 27, 1998)
- Rozz Williams - Live Recording
- Zen Guerrilla - Trance States In Tongues (1999)
Pegg, Nicholas, The Complete David Bowie, Reynolds & Hearn Ltd, 2000, ISBN 1-903111-14-5
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars — Infobox Album Name = The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars Type = studio Artist = David Bowie Released = Start date|1972|6|6|df=yes Recorded = Trident Studios, London, start date|1971|9|7|df=yes, November 1971, start… … Wikipedia
Heathen Tour — Infobox concert tour concert tour name = Heathen Tour image caption= artist = David Bowie location = locations = Europe North America type = album= Heathen start date = 11 June 2002 end date = 23 October 2002 number of legs = 4 number of shows =… … Wikipedia
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars — The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars … Википедия
Hallo Spaceboy — «Hallo Spaceboy» Сингл Дэвид Боуи из ал … Википедия
Музыка Дэвида Боуи в кино — В данных таблицах представлены песни, написанные и/или исполненные Дэвидом Боуи, которые звучат в качестве саундтрека в кинофильмах или телесериалах, а также видеоиграх. Источником данного списка служит страница Дэвида Боуи на сайте IMDb, если не … Википедия
Ziggy Stardust – The Motion Picture — Infobox Album Name = Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture Type = soundtrack Artist = David Bowie Released = start date|1983|10 start date|2003|4|1|df=yes (2003 re release) Recorded = Hammersmith Odeon, London, start date|1973|7|3|df=yes Genre =… … Wikipedia
Cybernauts — Origin England Genres Glam rock Years active ? Associated acts Def Leppard, Lucy, Tush, Dumb Blondes, Girl, David Bowie … Wikipedia
David Live — Live album by David Bowie Released 29 October 1974 ( … Wikipedia
Arnold Corns — was a band formed by David Bowie in 1971. The name was inspired by the Pink Floyd song Arnold Layne . This was one of Bowie’s side projects and something of a dry run for Ziggy Stardust . The band was formed in Dulwich College and Bowie agreed to … Wikipedia
Hang on to Yourself — Infobox Song Name = Hang Onto Yourself Type = B side to Moonage Daydream Artist = Arnold Corns alt Artist = Album = Published = Released = start date|1971|4 track no = Recorded = start date|1971|6|17, Radio Luxembourg studios Genre = Glam rock… … Wikipedia