- Sanctuary (manga)
Cover of Sanctuary manga vol. 1
Genre Crime drama, Political thriller Manga Written by Sho Fumimura Illustrated by Ryoichi Ikegami Published by Shogakukan English publisher VIZ Media Demographic Seinen Magazine Big Comic Superior Original run 1990 – 1995 Volumes 12 Live-action film Directed by Yukio Fuji Released 1995 Runtime 103 minutes Original video animation Directed by Takashi Watanabe Released April 1996
Sanctuary (サンクチュアリ Sankuchuari ) is manga written by Sho Fumimura, and illustrated by Ryoichi Ikegami. It was serialized in Big Comic Superior from 1990 to 1995, then released into 12 volumes by Shogakukan. It was published as 46 comic books and collected as nine volumes in America by Viz Graphics from 1995 to 1997. Sanctuary was a bestseller in Japan, and inspired a live action film.
Sanctuary is a political thriller and crime story that featured two childhood friends, Akira Hojo and Chiaki Asami, who are ruthlessly struggling to set a new paradigm of living in Japan. However, the two friends took radically different paths (playing Rock Paper Scissors to decide who does what): Akira chose the dark path and joined a Yakuza gang, while Chiaki strived to become the youngest member of the Japanese Diet. Being survivors of the Cambodian killing fields, the two characters developed an unmatched aggression and survival instincts, helping them to achieve their common ultimate goal: making Japan their own sanctuary.
The story starts with Hojo as a minor mob boss and Asami as a political advisor. The plot first focuses on their rise to positions of greater power. Hojo's rise is decidedly quicker than Asami's, whose struggle to get to the top lasts the entire manga. Hojo is a Yakuza Don by book 2. The story then follows his attempts to gain control over the entire Yakuza while secretly paving the way for them to become a legitimate enterprise. Asami, meanwhile, must try to enter the Diet by forming his own party that represents the younger people of Japan. He is constantly opposed by the current Dietmen, who are aging politicians intent on holding onto power (often considered to be a thinly-veiled reference to the Liberal Democratic Party).
By the end of the series, both Hojo and Asami succeeded in their ambitions. Hojo successfully united all of the major Yakuzas under his banner to extend the longevity of Yakuza (through educational reform) while Asami successfully became the youngest nominated politician to become Prime Minister of Japan. At the end of their journey, they returned to where it all began, Cambodia. Unfortunately, Asami died due to illness.
References in Other Media
In the film "The Fifth Element", Bruce Willis' character has a copy of one of the volumes of Sanctuary next to his bed, when he's lying down and telling his best friend about the perfect woman he met that day.
- Hojo Akira : don of the Sagara Alliance, Asami's childhood friend, he's heading towards domination over Japan's yakuza corporations. By the end of the story, he's running for the diet.
- Asami Chiaki : ambitious and strong-willed politician. He lived in Cambodia with Hojo's family in the 70's. His personal nemesis is Isaoka.
- Isaoka : an "old fox" with all the connections one can imagine at every economic, politic and illegal level possible. He served a prison sentence in Sugamo after WWII.
- Mr. Tokai : Hojo's former mentor, a through-and-through yakuza who serves his boss efficiently, with an unshakeable loyalty.
- Tashiro : young assistant of Hojo, who saved his new-born baby years ago. As Tokai, he would give his life for his boss.
- Ishihara Kyoko : Born in 1965 (vol.1 chap. 2) she's 27 at the time of the story. Went to Todaï. Deputy-chief in the district of Tokyo.
- Ozaki : subaltern of Ishihara, he knows Tokai very well, but he's a good policeman nonetheless.
- Volume 1 (Japan): 1990-12-01
- Volume 2 (Japan): 1991-06-01
- Volume 3 (Japan): 1991-09-01
- Volume 4 (Japan): 1992-04-01
- Volume 5 (Japan): 1992-11-01
- Volume 6 (Japan): 1993-05-01
- Volume 7 (Japan): 1993-11-01
- Volume 8 (Japan): 1994-03-01
- Volume 9 (Japan): 1994-07-01
- Volume 10 (Japan): 1994-10-01
- Volume 11 (Japan): 1995-03-01
- Volume 12 (Japan): 1995-06-01
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sanctuary (manga) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Sanctuary. Sanctuary サンクチュアリ (Sankuchuari) Type Seinen Genre Thriller politique Thèmes … Wikipédia en Français
Sanctuary (disambiguation) — A sanctuary is a social institution.Sanctuary may also refer to:In literature: * Sanctuary (novel), a William Faulkner novel * Sanctuary ( Angel novel), a novel based on the television series Angel * Sanctuary ( Doctor Who ), a Doctor Who novel * … Wikipedia
Sanctuary (Saint Seiya) — Sanctuary is a fictional location from the manga series Saint Seiya, authored by Masami Kurumada, later adapted to anime. It is also the residence of an organization with the same name. Sanctuary, the organization The leader of the Sanctuary is… … Wikipedia
Manga — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Manga (homonymie). Manga écrit en kanji … Wikipédia en Français
Manga outside Japan — Part of a series on Anime and Manga … Wikipedia
Sanctuary — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sanctuary, mot anglais pour Sanctuaire, peut faire référence à : Sommaire 1 Toponyme 2 Musique … Wikipédia en Français
Angel sanctuary — 天使禁猟区 (Tenshi Kinryōku) Type Shōjo Genre fantasy, romance Manga : Angel Sanctuary Auteur Kaori Yuki Éditeur … Wikipédia en Français
Angel Sanctuary — 天使禁猟区 (Tenshi Kinryōku) Genre fantasy, romance Manga : Angel Sanctuary Type Shōjo Auteur Kaori Yuki Éditeur … Wikipédia en Français
Liste des personnages de Angel Sanctuary — Modèle:Angel Sanctuary manga en 20 tomes de Kaori Yuki Cet article décrit brièvement les personnages du manga Angel Sanctuary. Sommaire 1 Anges 1.1 Adam Kadamon 1.2 Lucifer 1.3 … Wikipédia en Français
Angel Sanctuary — Infobox animanga/Header name = caption = Angel Sanctuary manga, volume 1 (Japanese version) ja name = 天使禁猟区 ja name trans = Tenshi Kinryōku genre = Fantasy, RomanceInfobox animanga/Manga author = Kaori Yuki publisher = flagicon|Japan Hakusensha… … Wikipedia