- Roman Catholic Diocese of London, Ontario
Diocese of London, Ontario
Location Country Canada Ecclesiastical province Toronto Statistics Area 21,349 km2 (8,243 sq mi) Population
Information Denomination Roman Catholic Rite Latin Rite (or Roman) Established February 21, 1856 Cathedral St. Peter's Cathedral Basilica Patron saint The Immaculate Conception
& St. Patrick
Current leadership Bishop Most Rev. Ronald Peter Fabbro, CSB Website rcec.london.on.ca
The Roman Catholic Diocese of London (Latin: Dioecesis Londonensis) was created out of the Diocese of Toronto, along with the Diocese of Hamilton, Ontario, by Pope Pius IX on February 21, 1856. Pierre-Adolphe Pinsoneault was named the first Bishop of London on May 18 of that year. In 1859, Bishop Pinsoneault moved the seat of the diocese to Sandwich, on the Detroit River; the diocese was transferred back to London in November 1869, under Bishop John Walsh.
The present Cathedral of the Diocese, St. Peter's, was built in a French Gothic Revival style from 1880 to 1885. It was raised to the status of a minor basilica by Pope John XXIII in December, 1961. The Diocese also runs St. Peter's Seminary, which is now affiliated with the University of Western Ontario. The Diocese covers the counties of Middlesex, Elgin, Norfolk, Oxford, Perth, Huron, Lambton, Kent, and Essex.
Bishops of London
- Bishop Pierre-Adolphe Pinsoneault (May 13, 1856 - December 18, 1866)
- Bishop John Walsh (November 10, 1867 - July 25, 1889)
- Bishop Denis O'Connor, C.S.B. (October 19, 1890 – 1899)
- Bishop Fergus Patrick McEvay (August 6, 1899 - April 13, 1908)
- Bishop Michael Francis Fallon, O.M.I. (April 25, 1910 - February 22, 1931)
- Bishop Thomas Kidd (July 3, 1931 - June 2, 1950)
- Bishop John Christopher Cody (June 2, 1950 – December 5, 1963)
- Bishop Gerald Emmett Carter (February 17, 1964 - April 29, 1978) (Latterly Cardinal Archbishop of Toronto)
- Bishop John Michael Sherlock (July 8, 1978 - April 27, 2002)
- Bishop Ronald Peter Fabbro, C.S.B. (August 15, 2002 - Present)
- Bishop: Ronald Peter Fabbro, C.S.B.
- Auxiliary Bishop: vacant; Robert Anthony Daniels was named Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Grand Falls, Newfoundland, Canada on Tuesday, March 1, 2011
- Bishop Emeritus: John Michael Sherlock
- Roman Catholic Diocese of London official site
- St. Peter's Seminary (Diocese of London, Ontario)
- "Diocese of London". Catholic-Hierarchy. http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dlond.html. Retrieved 2007-03-13.
- "London (Ontario)". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
Roman Catholicism in North America Sovereign states Dependencies and
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
St. Peter's Seminary (Diocese of London, Ontario) — Infobox University name = St. Peter s Seminary native name = latin name = motto = I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding Jeremiah 3:15 established = 1912 type = campus = Urban/Suburb… … Wikipedia
London, Ontario — London City City of London Downtown London skyline … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kingston — Not to be confused with Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kingston in Jamaica. Archdiocese of Kingston Archidioecesis Kingstonensis Archidioecesis Regiopolitanus Location Country Canada … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto — Infobox Roman Catholic diocese Roman Catholic Diocese of=Archdiocese of Toronto Latin name of diocese=Archidioecesis Torontinus location=Toronto, Ontario, Canada territory=Southern Ontario, Georgian Bay population=1,693,690 Catholics rite=Roman… … Wikipedia
Bistum London (Ontario) — Basisdaten Staat Kanada Metropolitanbistum Erzbistum Toronto … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) — The Roman Catholic church in its entirety contains over 3,000 dioceses, 800 archdioceses as well as military ordinaries, Apostolic vicariates, and prefectures around the world. This is a structural list to show the relationships of each diocese… … Wikipedia
List of Roman Catholic Seminaries — This is a list of Catholic Seminaries in the world, including those that have been closed. This list is a work in progress.AustraliaNew South Wales and Australian Capital Territory* Good Shepherd Seminary established at Homebush in 1996 by the… … Wikipedia
Catholic sex abuse cases — The Catholic sex abuse cases are a series of convictions, trials and ongoing investigations into allegations of sex crimes committed by Catholic priests and members of religious orders. These cases began receiving public attention beginning in … Wikipedia
King's University College (University of Western Ontario) — Coordinates: 43°0′42.31″N 81°15′27.85″W / 43.0117528°N 81.2577361°W / 43.0117528; 81.2577361 … Wikipedia
St. Peter's Cathedral Basilica, London — Parish church name = St. Peter s Cathedral Basilica caption = St. Peter s Cathedral Basilica dedication = denomination = Roman Catholic tradition = parish = St. Peter s deanery = London archdeaconry = diocese = London province = presbytery =… … Wikipedia