- Operation Hooper
Operation Hooper – Operation Packer
Operation Hooper was a military operation by the South African Defence Force (SADF) during the South African Border War. This operation forms part of what has come to be called the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale.
Directly following on from Operation Modular, Operation Hooper's task was to inflict as much damage as possible on the retreating FAPLA forces by supporting UNITA's drive towards the town of Cuito Cuanavale as well as clearing the area east of the town, between the Cautir and Chambinga rivers, of all FAPLA forces.
The main battles fought during this operation were:
- 13 January 1988 - When South African forces attacked FAPLA's 21st Brigade, who subsequently retreated to safety west of the Cuito River. During this battle more than 250 FAPLA soldiers were killed and large quantities of arms were captured or destroyed, including fourteen main battle tanks.
- 14 February 1988 - When South African forces attacked FAPLA's 59th Brigade. During this battle more than 230 FAPLA soldiers were killed and nine T-55 tanks destroyed.
- 25 February 1988 - When South African and UNITA forces attacked FAPLA's 25th Brigade south of the Tumpo River, about 25 km east of Cuito Cuanavale. Despite encountering an extensive anti-tank mine field, which stopped the tank-supported South African/UNITA attack with the loss of two Olifant tanks, the intense artillery bombardments and infantry assaults inflicted heavy casualties on FAPLA. Although some FAPLA forces remained in the Tumpo River area the combined South Africa/UNITA force had succeeded in capturing the tactical highground in the area, Chambinga heights, which dominates Cuito Cuanavale and its nearby territory.
At this point Operation Hooper was considered to be over and Operation Packer to have begun.
- 32 Battalion (South Africa)
- Operation Modular
- Operation Packer
- Angolan Civil War / South African Border War
- List of operations of the South African Border War
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Operation Modular — v · Battle … Wikipedia
Operation Packer — v · Battle … Wikipedia
Operation Deadstick — Part of Normandy landings … Wikipedia
Elsie Hooper — Infobox webcomic| title = Elsie Hooper caption = Elsie Hooper heroes Ridley Hooper and Trent Gardner in a classic pose featuring hard shafts of light, heavy black inking, and jagged edges. author = Robert D. Krzykowski url =… … Wikipedia
Mark Hooper — Personal information Full name Mark Hooper Date of birth 14 July 1901 … Wikipedia
museum, operation of — Introduction wide array of diverse tasks that a museum undertakes in order to preserve and interpret the material aspects of human society and the environment. Several of the most important museum operations are described in this article.… … Universalium
LAPD Hooper Heliport — is a city owned private use heliport located one nautical mile (2 km) southwest of the central business district of Los Angeles, in Los Angeles County, California, United States.Located at the Piper Technical Center just outside downtown Los… … Wikipedia
Battle of Cuito Cuanavale — Infobox Military Conflict conflict=Battle of Cuito Cuanavale caption= partof=Angolan Civil War and South African Border War date=December, 1987 March, 1988 [cite book|first= W. Martin and Susan Herlin Broadhead|last=James|title=Historical… … Wikipedia
List of operations of the South African Border War — This List of operations of the South African Border War details the military operations conducted by the South African Defence Force during the South African Border War:* Operation Savannah (1975) * Operation Bruilof (1978) * Operation Seiljag… … Wikipedia
Dassault Mirage F1 — Mirage F1 A Mirage F1B Role Fighter aircraft Manufacturer … Wikipedia