- Survivor (UK TV series)
Survivor UK Genre Reality competition Presented by Mark Austin (2001)
Mark Nicholas (2002)
Theme music composer Russ Landau Country of origin United Kingdom No. of series 2 No. of episodes 25 Broadcast Original channel ITV Picture format 480i (SDTV) (2001–2002) Original run 21 May 2001 – 29 May 2002
The series was considered a failure in the ratings and only ran for two series before being axed. Many in Britain believed it was a knock-off of American excesses, and turned away. However the series, particularly the first, was watched by more viewers than other reality series at the time, including Big Brother.
A group of contestants (sixteen in the first series; twelve in the second series) were marooned on a desert island and split into two tribes. For the first 20 days, the two tribes competed against each other in reward challenges and immunity challenges. The tribe that won the reward challenge received a special treat that made their life on the island more comfortable. The tribe that won the immunity challenge was completely safe from any eliminations for three days.
Meanwhile, the tribe that lost the immunity challenge were forced to vote one of their own number off the island. Contestants were free to discuss and scheme about who they wished to vote off, and many alliances were made and broken as the series went on.
After 20 days, the remaining members of the two tribes merged, and the game changed completely. Reward and immunity challenges were competed for on an individual basis, with the remaining contestants battling to prevent themselves from being voted off. After tribal merger, every contestant who was voted off joined a jury that decided who won the £1 million prize. They were given the choice from the final two contestants.
Series One (2001)
Survivor (Series 1) Genre Reality television Winner Charlotte Hobrough (7-0) No. of episodes 14 No. of days 40 No. of survivors 16 Tribes Helang
Production Location(s) Pulau Tiga, Malaysia Broadcast Original run 21 May 2001 – 25 July 2001 Chronology Followed by Survivor (Series 2)
The first series was filmed on the island of Pulau Tiga, Malaysia in the South China Sea, which was also the site of the first American Survivor series. It was broadcast weekly from May 21, 2001 to July 25, 2001. The initial tribes were Helang (Eagle) and Ular (Snake).
Contestant Original Tribe Merged Tribe Finish Total Votes Nick Carter
38, Drugs Company Manager
Ular 1st Voted Out
5 Jennifer "J.J." Adams
37, Personal Assistant
Helang 2nd Voted Out
4 Uzma Bashir
30, Nursery Owner
Helang 3rd Voted Out
8 Sarah Odell
Ular 4th Voted Out
5 Jayne Meyler
47, Massage Therapist
Helang 5th Voted Out
7 Adrian Bauckham
22, Barrister's Clerk
Helang 6th Voted Out
4 Simon Dunkley
35, Financial Sales Manager
Helang Sekutu 7th Voted Out
6 Andy Fairfield
41, Long-haul Airlines Pilot
Helang 8th Voted Out
1st Jury Member
6 James Stroud
40, Property Developer
Helang 9th Voted Out
2nd Jury Member
9 Peter "Pete" Farrar
30, Model and Actor
Ular 10th Voted Out
3rd Jury Member
5 Zoe Lyons
29, Bartender and Actress
Ular 11th Voted Out
4th Jury Member
8 Eve Holding
30, Project manager
Ular 12th Voted Out
5th Jury Member
6 Mick Easton
55, Retired Policeman
Ular 13th Voted Out
6th Jury Member
4 Richard Owen
33, Clinical Psychologist
Ular 14th Voted Out
7th Jury Member
5 Jackie Carey
31, Airline Industry Purchaser
Ular Runner Up 7 Charlotte Hobrough
Helang Sole Survivor 4
Episodes Challenges Eliminated Votes Finish Reward Immunity 1 Helang12 Nick 5-3 1st Voted Out
2 None Ular J.J. 4-4 2nd Voted Out
3 Ular Ular Uzma 4-2-1 3rd Voted Out
4 Ular Helang Sarah 5-2 4th Voted Out
5 Helang Ular Jayne 5-1 5th Voted Out
6 Ular Ular Adrian 3-2 6th Voted Out
7 None Andy Simon 6-2-1-1 7th Voted Out
Pete Andy 6-2-1 8th Voted Out
Richard James 6-1-1 9th Voted Out
10 Pete Richard Pete 5-1-1 10th Voted Out
Eve Zoe 3-3 11th Voted Out
12 Eve Richard Eve 4-1 12th Voted Out
Finale None Richard Mick 3-1 13th Voted Out
Charlotte Richard 2-1 14th Voted Out
Reunion Jury Vote Jackie 7-0 Runner Up Charlotte Sole Survivor
The series was perceived as being not very popular with UK viewers. Despite initial media hype which surrounded the show, the debut episode opened with 6.6 million viewers, which was considered as a disappointment for ITV. Ratings for the show then began to hang around the 5 million mark, which was half of the audience that the network had expected.
The show initially aired four times a week on ITV. On Monday and Wednesday, highlights from the camp were shown, presented by Mark Austin who also spent 40 days on the island with the contestants. On Tuesday and Thursday, an interview was conducted with the latest contestant to be voted off the island, presented by John Leslie.
However, ITV later decided to air fewer episodes per week to give the show a greater opportunity to "grow", but this failed to have an effect on viewing figures. Nevertheless, the final show managed to attract 7.7 million viewers, peaking at 9 million.
The show was won by Charlotte Hobrough. She was a member of Helang tribe, who were outnumbered by Ular tribe members at tribal merger. However, after successfully voting out everybody but her, the Ular tribe members began to vote against each other, allowing Charlotte to make it through to the final two, along with Jackie Carey. Hobrough won by a 7-0 vote. There was controversy when viewers were invited to phone in to cast their preference; this was via a premium rate phone call. Despite being told many times by the host that the phone vote would not be counted in the final tally, several viewers felt cheated. This was rectified for the second series, where the phone vote did count.
Original Tribes Merged Tribe Episode 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Finale Eliminated Nick
Voter Vote Charlotte J.J. Jayne Jayne James Eve Richard Zoe Eve Zoe Eve Mick Richard Jury Vote Jackie Nick Sarah Simon Andy James Pete Zoe Eve Mick Richard Richard Nick Sarah Simon Andy James Pete Zoe Eve Mick Jackie Charlotte Mick Jackie Sarah Simon Andy James Pete Charlotte Eve Jackie Charlotte Eve Nick Zoe Simon Andy James Pete Charlotte Jackie Charlotte Zoe Nick Sarah Simon Andy James Pete Charlotte Charlotte Pete Jackie Sarah Simon Andy James Charlotte Charlotte James J.J. Uzma Jayne Adrian Zoe Richard Mick Charlotte Andy Uzma Uzma Jayne Adrian Zoe Jackie Charlotte Simon Uzma Uzma Jayne Adrian Richard Adrian J.J. Jayne Jayne James Jayne Uzma Uzma Adrian Sarah Nick Zoe Uzma J.J. James J.J. Uzma Nick Jackie
^Note 3 : Simon first voted for Uzma, causing a tie; however, in a revote, Simon changed his vote and voted for J.J., sending her home.
^Note 4 : Charlotte and Zoe were tied 3-3 at Tribal Council and in a Tribal Council countback Charlotte had 1 previous vote, but Zoe had 5, and she was eliminated.
- Nick: Although Jackie was originally targeted for being the weakest player, most of Ular changed their minds and voted out Nick, as they felt he was taking control of the game too early. (5-3)
- J.J.: Both J.J. and Uzma were in the hot seat for being the weakest members, and at tribal council, they tied 4-4. The other players were then sent to a location where they could privately discuss, and then revote. Everyone voted for the same person, except for Simon, who changed his vote for J.J. (4-4)
- Uzma: Uzma's failure to redeem herself cost her dearly, and although Adrian and Charlotte ralied against Jayne, Helang felt Uzma's weakness was the reason why they were losing so much recently. Uzma voted for James. (4-2-1)
- Sarah: Although Sarah and Eve felt safe in their alliance with Richard and Jackie, Eve attempted to make waves by campaigning to send Jackie out. Richard told the plans to Jackie, who in turn made a pact with the tribe outcast Zoe. Richard later convinced Sarah and Eve to stick with their alliance, but Jackie no longer intended to do the same. She convinced Richard to join her and the others in blindsiding Sarah. (5-2)
- Jayne: Adrian and Jayne were the two targets; Jayne for her weak performance in challenges, and Adrian for his lack of work around camp. Ultimately, the tribe decided to keep the stronger physical player and vote Jayne out. (5-1)
- Adrian: Two main duos existed in the Helang tribe: Andy & James, and Adrian & Charlotte. Simon promised loyalty to both groups, but at tribal council he betrayed Adrian and voted him out. (3-2)
- Simon: The Ular alliance decided to vote out the Helang members one-by-one. Simon was first to go because Andy had won immunity and Ular bore Simon a grudge from an incident during one of the earlier challenges (6-2-1-1)
- Andy: Andy was the next victim of the Ular alliance, as he was seen more of threat than Charlotte and James. (6-2-1)
- James: The Ular members stuck together once again and voted out James, who they believed was a bigger threat than Charlotte. (6-1-1)
- Pete: Although Charlotte was supposed to go, Pete lost immunity. The Ular members then saw their chance to vote him out, as they thought he was a physical threat as well as being well liked by the jury. Richard told Pete, who became angry at everyone except Charlotte and Richard. Pete secretly told Charlotte that he was next to go, and not her, which surprised her. Charlotte voted against Eve tactically to increase her votes in case of a tie in the future. Pete stuck the original plan and voted against Charlotte, hoping what Richard told him was wrong. Before leaving, Pete took the betrayal personally, and gave his bible to Richard. (5-1-1)
- Zoe: Fed up with Eve and Zoe, Richard secretly broke away from the Ular alliance and convinced Charlotte and Jackie to form a new one. They decided to vote out Zoe for being too self-confident. The original and remaining alliance of Eve, Mick, and Zoe decided Charlotte's time was up and decided to vote her out. Charlotte and Zoe tied at tribal council 3-3. The tie would be broken by the amount of past votes the players had received. Charlotte had 1 previous vote against her, while Zoe had 5, eliminating her.
- Eve: During the immunity challenge, Eve got on everyone's nerves, and isolated herself. Even Mick, Eve's only ally, decided he had had enough of her. At camp, Eve stole some of Charlotte's tampons (although she later claimed she put some back) and Mick's hidden bottle of ketchup which she drank alone in the jungle. When confronted at tribal council, Eve confessed to the thefts but claimed she had no regrets of doing it. She was then voted out. (4-1)
- Mick: The alliance of Charlotte, Jackie, and Richard voted out their final non-aligned member, Mick. He was also considered a favorite of the jury, which contributed to his elimination. (3-1)
- Richard: After winning the crucial final immunity challenge, Charlotte was safe from elimination. Jackie and Richard were forced to vote for each other. Charlotte voted out well-liked Richard as he was more of a physical and mental threat to her than unpopular Jackie. When the final vote was being cast, Richard knew he would be eliminated and whispered "Good luck" to Charlotte. (2-1)
- Jackie: The jury disliked Jackie and felt she was carried to the end by the others. She received no votes. (0-7)
- Charlotte: The jury was impressed that she was able to make it so far despite winning only 1 individual immunity challenge. She was also more likable than Jackie. She gained the votes of all the jury members: Andy, James, Pete, Zoe, Eve, Mick, and Richard. Andy and James voted for Charlotte since she was an ex-Helang member, Pete because he would only vote for Charlotte or Richard after being betrayed, Zoe because Charlotte "grew on her", Eve because she admitted that Charlotte did play a good game, Mick because of how Charlotte answered his questions compared to Jackie, and Richard because he felt Jackie didn't "understand the beauty" of the island and that Charlotte wasn't afraid to be who she was. (7-0)
Series Two (2002)
Survivor (Series 2) Genre Reality television Winner Johnny Gibb (6-0) No. of episodes 11 No. of days 37 No. of survivors 12 Tribes North Island
Production Location(s) Bocas del Toro, Panama Broadcast Original run 13 March 2002 – 29 May 2002 Chronology Preceded by Survivor (Series 1)
Despite the lack of success of the first series, ITV decided to bring back Survivor with some major changes. The second series, known as Survivor: Panama, was filmed on two islands in the Bocas del Toro archipelago of Panama. It was broadcast from March 13, 2002 to May 29, 2002. The initial tribes were South Island (with a turtle as their mascot) and North Island (with a frog as their mascot).
Contestant Original Tribe Merged Tribe Finish Total Votes Sarah McCombie
22, Financial Trader
South Island 1st Voted Out
5 Lee Capon
25, Car Sales Manager
South Island 2nd Voted Out
4 Tayfun Kadioglu
27, Professional Latin-American Dancer
North Island 3rd Voted Out
5 Meeta Bose
34, Financial Manager
North Island 4th Voted Out
5 Helen Carney
22, Hotel Worker
North Island Columbus 5th Voted Out
1st Jury Member
5 Alastair Brogan
34, Oil Company Director
North Island 6th Voted Out
2nd Jury Member
4 Drew Agger
North Island 7th Voted Out
3rd Jury Member
4 Dave Porter
55, Retired Firefighter
North Island 8th Voted Out
4th Jury Member
4 Bridget Griffiths
South Island 9th Voted Out
5th Jury Member
9 John Dalzell
32, Former Marine/Law Worker
South Island 10th Voted Out
6th Jury Member
2 Susannah Moffatt
South Island Runner-Up 6 Jonny Gibb
30, Police Detective
South Island Sole Survivor 0
Note: Columbus did not have an official tribe color, they simply had a flag resembling the flag of Panama with the frog and turtle replacing the red and blue stars. Purple is used here because it is a combination of the 2 tribe colors.
Episode Challenges Eliminated Vote Finish Reward Immunity 1 North Island Sarah 5-1 1st Voted Out
Lee 4-1 2nd Voted Out
Tayfun 5-1 3rd Voted Out
Meeta 4-1 4th Voted Out
5 None Jonny Helen 4-4 5th Voted Out
6 Drew Jonny Alastair 4-3 6th Voted Out
Jonny Drew 4-2 7th Voted Out
8 John John Dave 4-1 8th Voted Out
9 None John Bridget 3-1 9th Voted Out
Finals Susannah Susannah John 1-0 10th Voted Out
Reunion Jury Votes Susannah 6-0 Runner Up Jonny Sole Survivor
Original Tribes Merged Tribe Episode #: 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 Finale Eliminated: Sarah
Voter Vote Jonny Sarah Lee Helen Alastair Drew Dave Bridget Jury Vote Susannah Sarah Lee Helen Alastair Drew Dave Bridget John John Sarah Lee Helen Alastair Drew Dave Bridget Jonny Bridget Sarah Lee Helen Alastair Drew Dave Susannah Jonny Dave Tayfun Meeta Bridget Susannah Susannah Bridget Jonny Drew Tayfun Meeta Bridget Susannah Susannah Jonny Alastair Tayfun Meeta Bridget Susannah Jonny Helen Tayfun Meeta Bridget Jonny Meeta Tayfun Helen Tayfun Metta Lee Sarah Bridget Sarah John
- Sarah: The South Island tribe deemed Sarah and Susannah as the weakest members. Although Susannah disqualified her tribe in the immunity challenge, she convinced everyone to vote out Sarah. (5-1)
- Lee: Lee was voted out because of his illness dissipating him. Although Bridget was also injured, South Island felt Lee was the weaker of the two. South Island were only in this position because of John's misjudged showboating when well ahead in the immunity challenge but again someone else paid for the mistake. (4-1)
- Tayfun: Tayfun "only care for yourself" strategy isolated himself. Although Meeta was deemed the weakest member, the tribe preferred her over Tayfun. (5-1)
- Meeta: She was perceived as the weakest member of North Island, and not redeeming herself spelled her doom. (4-1)
- N/A: The host announced a tribal council would not take place due to the merge.
- Helen: Helen lost to Bridget in the tiebreaker (a quiz about Panama) when the two former tribes voted against each other. (4-4, lost tiebreaker)
- Alastair: After Helen's elimination, South Island proceeded to pick off the North Island members. Alastair , a physically very strong man was the first victim despite a last-ditch attempt by Drew to put herself forward in his place. (4-3)
- Drew: South Island's second victim, Drew was seen as a bigger threat than Dave. Jonny voted for her despite a relationship developing between the two of them.(4-2)
- Dave: South Island's final victim, as well as the final North Island member. Dave failed to win immunity and convince everyone else to vote against Bridget. (4-1)
- Bridget: John, Jonny, and Susannah turned on Bridget as the outsider to their long-established alliance. (3-1)
- John: Susannah eliminated John for being more well-liked than Jonny. (1-0)
- Susannah: The jury felt she was carried to the final round by John and Jonny, as well as undeserving since she broke a rule at the first immunity challenge. She received no votes. (0-6)
- Jonny: The jury saw him as the lesser of the two evils as well as the more deserving player. Jonny gained all the jury member's votes: Helen, Alistair, Drew, Dave, Bridget, and John. Jonny also received an extra vote from the public. Jonny is first and only person to never have a vote played against him in the UK edition of Survivor. (6-0)
There were several changes in the traditional format. The number of contestants was dropped to twelve, to allow viewers to get to know the cast better. Presenters Mark Austin and John Leslie were dropped in favour of Channel 4 cricket presenter Mark Nicholas. In the fifth episode, the remaining players were merged and then told there would be no immunity this episode. At the Tribal Council they were then told nobody was being voted off that episode and that a vote by the television audience would act as a seventh jury member in the final vote. Other additions included tree mail. Contestants were given a cryptic clue about what the day's challenge would hold for them by producers.
Viewers were also promised that any major action - such as the sex that was edited out of a first series episode - would definitely be shown this year. There was extra footage available to digital viewers. An extra show, Survivor: Raw was shown on ITV2 after the main show had aired. This was presented by last year's winner, Charlotte Hobrough, and Ed Hall. It included extra footage not shown on the main show, discussions, interviews with evictees, phone-ins and emails.
The show was more predictable the second time around, as the contestants decided to stay loyal to each other after tribal merger. The former South Island members successfully voted off all of the remaining North Island members after merger.
The Grand Prize winner, Jonny Gibb, won by a 7-0 vote against Susannah Moffatt. The audience vote was 89% in his favor.
Surprisingly both winners were from the police force. Charlotte being a Dectective Constable and Jonny a Police Detective.
Despite the changes, Survivor still received low viewing figures for its second series, and ITV decided not to bring it back for a third series. This is in stark contrast to the US version which has enjoyed consistent success and popularity.
ITV finally found a successful reality TV show with I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, with many similarities to Survivor, and which received massive ratings in August 2002. The show's similarity in content to Survivor led many viewers (both in the UK and US) to believe that the shows had some licensing agreement, however this was not the case. Legal action was sought by CBS to prevent broadcast in the US however the court ruled against, stating that "Celebrity is different enough from Survivor that CBS would have difficulty prevailing in its underlying copyright infringement suit."
1st series contestant Zoe Lyons, has since become a successful comedienne and has appeared on several BBC radio shows including Clive Anderson's Chat Room (BBC Radio 2), PMQ with Andy Parsons (BBC Radio 4), 4 Stands Up (BBC Radio 4) and The Jon Richardson Show ([BBC 6 Music]. She has also appeared on the BBC panel show Mock The Week twice.
- ^ "Survivor proves a TV dinosaur". BBC. 25 July 2001. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/1457378.stm.
- ^ a b Bindley, David (March 20, 2010). "Survivor: The Complete Challenge Guide (1st ed.)". http://snideasides.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/survivorcompletechallengeguidev1.pdf. Retrieved December 16, 2010.
- ^ "Flop Survivor lives again". The Sun. 19 October 2001. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article142010.ece. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- ^ "BBC top ITV ratings for first time". Daily Mirror. 2 February 2002. http://www.mirror.co.uk/archive/2002/01/02/bbc-top-itv-ratings-for-first-time-89520-11509022/. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- ^ "Survivor makes disappointing debut". Digital Spy. 22 May 2001. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a2932/survivor-makes-disappointing-debut.html. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- ^ "Survivor to be cut back?". Digital Spy. 6 June 2001. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a3024/survivor-to-be-cut-back.html. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- ^ "ITV confirms Survivor shift". Digital Spy. 6 June 2001. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a3032/itv-confirms-survivor-shift.html. Retrieved 2001-06-07.
- ^ "Survivor fails to gather pace". Digital Spy. 6 June 2001. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a3199/survivor-fails-to-gather-pace.html. Retrieved 2001-06-29.
- ^ "Survivor final draws 8m". Digital Spy. 26 July 2001. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a3451/survivor-final-draws-8m.html. Retrieved 2001-06-29.
- ^ "CBS loses lawsuit; ABC's "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!" to air in February". Reality TV World. 14 January 2003. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/cbs-loses-lawsuit;--abc-im-celebrity-get-me-out-of-here!-air-in-february-872.php. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
Survivor U.S. versionBorneo (2000) · The Australian Outback (2001) · Africa (2001-02) · Marquesas (2002) · Thailand (2002) · The Amazon (2003) · Pearl Islands (2003) · All-Stars (2004) · Vanuatu (2004) · Palau (2005) · Guatemala (2005) · Panama (2006) · Cook Islands (2006) · Fiji (2007) · China (2007) · Micronesia (2008) · Gabon (2008) · Tocantins (2009) · Samoa (2009) · Heroes vs. Villains (2010) · Nicaragua (2010) · Redemption Island (2011) · South Pacific (2011) U.S. winners Related articles International
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Survivor — may refer to: Television * Survivor (TV series), a reality television show with several international versions ** Survivor (U.S. TV series) ** Survivor (UK TV series) ** Survivor Philippines ** Survivor BG , Bulgaria ** Survivor South Africa **… … Wikipedia
Survivor (TV series) — Survivor is a popular reality television game show format produced in many countries throughout the world. In the show, contestants are isolated in the wilderness and compete for cash and other prizes. The show uses a progressive elimination,… … Wikipedia
Survivor Live — was an internet talk show about the television series Survivor . The show premiered at the beginning of as a result of the popularity of , which began airing the previous summer during Big Brother 5 . During that season, the show was hosted by… … Wikipedia
Survivor man — may refer to:*Survivor Man, an episode from the fourth season of the United States version of The Office (U.S. TV series) *Survivorman, a survival television series broadcast in the United States and Canada … Wikipedia
Survivor Series (2006) — Infobox Wrestling event name=Survivor Series (2006) theme= Are You Ready? by Hazen Street [cite web|url=http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/specialty clips/music/hazenstreetareyouready|accessdate=2006 11 26|title=Survivor Series Theme… … Wikipedia
Survivor Series (1989) — Infobox Wrestling event name=Survivor Series (1989) promotion=World Wrestling Federation date=November 23 1989 venue=Rosemont Horizon city=Rosemont, Illinois attendance=15,294 lastevent=SummerSlam (1989) nextevent=No Holds Barred event=Survivor… … Wikipedia
Survivor Series (2007) — Infobox Wrestling event name=Survivor Series (2007) tagline= theme= Tick Tick Boom by The Hivescite web|first=Corey|last=Clayton|title=Survive with The Hives new single|url=http://www.wwe.com/inside/overtheropes/news/hivessurvivorseries|date=2007 … Wikipedia
Survivor Series (1993) — Infobox Wrestling event name=Survivor Series (1993) promotion=World Wrestling Federation date=November 24, 1993 venue=Boston Garden city=Boston, Massachusetts attendance=15,509 lastevent=SummerSlam (1993) nextevent=Royal Rumble (1994)… … Wikipedia
Survivor Series (1994) — Infobox Wrestling event name=Survivor Series (1994) tagline=It s Time to Meet Your Maker promotion=World Wrestling Federation date=November 23 1994 venue=Freeman Coliseum city=San Antonio, Texas attendance=10,000 lastevent=SummerSlam (1994)… … Wikipedia
Survivor Series (2003) — Infobox Wrestling event name=Survivor Series (2003) tagline=A Fall from Grace theme= Build a Bridge (Limp Bizkit) [cite web|url=http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/wwf/wwfother.htm|title=Wrestling Information Archive Other WWF… … Wikipedia