- Metropolitan police
Metropolitan Police is a generic title for the municipal police force for a major metropolitan area, and it may be part of the official title of the force. They provide all general police services and tend to be headed by a chief called a Commissioner or Sheriff.
In the United States, metropolitan police agencies have often been formed through mergers between several local police agencies formerly holding jurisdiction within neighboring communities within a metropolitan area or county, such as several local police departments and possibly the county sheriff's office.
Typically, such communities have experienced recent population growth and urban sprawl, which causes the area to more closely resemble and function as one single conurbation. Under these circumstances, a single law enforcement agency with a unified command, jurisdiction and support structure comes to be seen as more appropriate and efficient.
A related concept exists in some American counties in which county sheriffs' offices contract with some (though not necessarily all) local cities or towns within their counties to provide all law enforcement services in those municipalities in lieu of a separate city or town police force.
Examples of use of the term "Metropolitan Police" include:
- The Greater London Metropolitan Police Service, formally known as the "metropolitan police force", and commonly known as the Metropolitan Police or simply the Met.
- The large municipal police force of an Indian city, which is headed by a Commissioner and may be independent of the state police, such as Mumbai Police.
- The Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia.
- The Dublin Metropolitan Police, now absorbed into the Garda Síochána.
- Metropolitan Police F.C., the football club of the Greater London Metropolitan Police currently members of the Isthmian League.
- The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
- The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.
- The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department. Commonly referred to as the Metro Police, they are referred to as simply Metro.
- The St. Louis Police Department. known as the Metropolitan Police
- The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.
- The Toronto Police Service, formerly (and still commonly) known as Metropolitan Toronto Police or simply Metro.
- The Metropolitan District Commission Police (commonly known as the Metropolitan Police), a former agency in Massachusetts that was merged with the Massachusetts State Police in 1992.
- The Metropolitan Police Force, predecessor of the New York City Police Department.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Metropolitan Police F.C. — Metropolitan Police Full name Metropolitan Police Football Club Nickname(s) The Met Founded 1919 … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Police — Metropolitan Po lice n the Metropolitan Police the police force that is responsible for the London area … Dictionary of contemporary English
Metropolitan Police — Polizeiauto der Metropolitan Police Der Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) (üblicherweise als Metropolitan Police oder umgangssprachlich auch als The Met bezeichnet) ist die Polizeibehörde von Greater London, mit Ausnahme des Stadtteils City of… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Metropolitan Police — (also infml the Met) the police force responsible for Greater London (except for the City, where the police force is the City of London Police). It was established in 1827 by Sir Robert Peel. Its headquarters are at New Scotland Yard in… … Universalium
Metropolitan Police — noun (singular) the police force that is responsible for London … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
Metropolitan Police Service — Metropolitan Police Force redirects here. For other uses, see Metropolitan police. Metropolitan Police Service Metropolitan Police Force Common name The Met Abbreviation MPS … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Police Act — (with its variations) is a stock short title used for legislation relating to the metropolitan police. The Metropolitan Police Act 1829 The Metropolitan Police Act 1839 The Metropolitan Police Act 1856 The Metropolitan Police Act 1860 (repealed… … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Police Sports Club Ground, East Molesey — Metropolitan Police Sports Club Ground Ground information Location East Molesey, Surrey Establishment 1940 (first recorded match) End names Football Ground End Tennis Courts End Domestic team information … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Police Air Support Unit — Metropolitan Police EC 145 helicopter over Croydon The Air Support Unit (ASU) is a Central Operations branch of London s Metropolitan Police Service. The main responsibility of the unit is to provide aerial … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Police Service — Juridiction Zone Grand Londres (excepté Cité de Londres) Taille 1,578 km² … Wikipédia en Français