The Koç family is a Turkish dynasty of business people founded by Vehbi Koç, one of the wealthiest self-made people in Turkey. His grandsons, the third generation of the Koç family, today run Turkey’s largest and prestigious group of companies.
- Vehbi Koç was born on July 20, 1901 in Ankara and died on February 25, 1996 in İstanbul. In 1926, he married Sadberk, the daughter of his aunt on his mother's side. Started in trade in his very young age, he built up a broad net of companies, and founded Koç Holding in 1963. He became the richest person in Turkey. His son Rahmi Mustafa and three daughters Semahat, Sevgi and Suna succeeded him.
- Semahat Koç, born 1928 in Ankara, is the first child of Vehbi Koç. She graduated from the American College for Girls in Istanbul before studying at the Goethe Institute in Germany. She has been married to Dr. Nusret Arsel since 1956. Semahat is member of the board directors of Koç Holding and the Koç Foundation. She is president of the "Semahat Arsel Nursing Education and Research Center".
- Rahmi Mustafa Koç (born 1930 in Ankara) received his B.A. degree from Johns Hopkins University, USA after graduating from the Robert College in İstanbul. He served at various managerial posts in the group companies, and in 1984 took over the leadership of the business empire his father founded. Rahmi married Çiğdem Meseretçioğlu but after the birth of their three sons, the couple divorced. In 2003, he transferred his chair to his eldest son Mustafa. He is currently honorary chairman of Koç Holding.
- Mustafa Vehbi Koç, born 1960 in İstanbul, is the eldest son of Rahmi Koç. He was educated in the Lyceum Alpinum Zuoz in Switzerland, and graduated in 1984 from George Washington University, USA. After serving at various posts, the third generation member of the family was appointed president of Koç Holding in 2003. He is married to Caroline Giraud, the daughter of a renowned Levantine family from İzmir. They have two daughters, Esra and Aylin.
- Mehmet Ömer Koç was born on March 24, 1962 in Ankara as the second son of Rahmi Koç. He graduated form Robert College in İstanbul and Millfield School in Somerset, UK. Ömer was educated first at the Georgetown University, Washington D.C., and then obtained his B.A. and Master's degree from Columbia University, New York. After working in several posts in the Koç group companies, he is currently charged with the chair of energy group within the holding.
- Ali Yıldırım Koç (born on April 2, 1967 in İstanbul) is the youngest son of Rahmi Koç. After finishing the high school at Harrow School, London, he received his B.A. in 1989 from Rice University, Houston, Texas, followed by his Master's degree from Harvard University in 1997. He worked in various companies in the USA and in the Koç Group, and became chief executive of the information technologies group of the holding. He recently married Nevbahar Demirağ. He is vice-president of Turkish sports club Fenerbahçe SK.
- Sevgi Koç was born 1938 as the third child of Vehbi Koç. She graduated from the American College for Girls in Istanbul and married Erdoğan Gönül, a member of the board of directors of the Koç Holding. She was also made a member of the board of directors of Koç Holding and the Koç Foundation. Sevgi also presided over the executive committee of the Sadberk Hanim Museum in İstanbul, and was a columnist in the Turkish newspaper "Hürriyet". She died on July 16, 2003 in İstanbul due to cancer, shortly after her husband.
- Suna Koç, born 1941, is the fourth child of Vehbi Koç. She graduated from American College for Girls in Istanbul, and was then educated at the Bosphorus University, İstanbul. She is married to İnan Kıraç, a high ranking executive of the Koç Group. They have one child. Suna has served various posts in the holding, most recently as vice president. She is also a board member of various foundations and educational institutions. Due to her contributions in education, health and social service in Turkey, Suna was awarded "Supreme Service Medal" by state president Süleyman Demirel in 1997. In 1999 The London Business School chose to grant her "honorary membership" for her contributions in leadership at the Koç Holding and in the education of children in Turkey.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Koç School — Infobox Private School name = The Koc School established = 1988 type = Private, coeducational, bilingual, boarding city = Tuzla, Istanbul country = Turkey campus = suburban (75 ha) head name = General Director head = Tony Paulus students = 1140… … Wikipedia
Koç Holding — Infobox Company name = Koç Holding type = Private foundation = flagicon|Turkey1926 Istanbul,Turkey founder = Vehbi Koç location city = Istanbul location country = Turkey key people = Mustafa V. Koç industry = products = revenue = gainUS$39.515… … Wikipedia
Koç University — Infobox University name = Koç University established = 1993 type = Private budget = U.S. $29.2 billion president = Attila Aşkar undergrad = 2935 postgrad = 375 staff = 312 city = Sarıyer, Istanbul country = Turkey website= [http://www.ku.edu.tr/… … Wikipedia
Rahmi Koç — Rahmi Mustafa Koç (born 1930) is a Turkish businessman Born in Ankara as the only son of one of Turkey s wealthiest man Vehbi Koç, he attended high school at Robert College in Istanbul after his primary education in Ankara. Rahmi Koç then studied … Wikipedia
Ali Yıldırım Koç — Yıldırım Ali Koç (born on April 2, 1967 in İstanbul) is the youngest son of Rahmi Koç. After finishing the high school at Harrow School (1980 85), London, he received his B.A. in from Rice University (1985 89), Houston, Texas, followed by his… … Wikipedia
Vehbi Koç — (July 20, 1901 ndash; February 25, 1996), born in Çoraklı, Ankara, Turkey, was a Turkish entrepreneur and philanthropist. He founded the Koç Group, Turkey’s largest and most prestigious group of companies. He was once the wealthest person in… … Wikipedia
Vehbi Koc — Vehbi Koç (* 1901 in Ankara; † 25. Februar 1996 in Antalya) war ein türkischer Geschäftsmann, Philanthrop und Gründer der Koç Holding Durable Consumer Goods Group, die neben Unternehmen wie Beko Elektronik oder Arçelik über 100 Gesellschaften mit … Deutsch Wikipedia
Vehbi Koç — (* 1901 in Ankara; † 25. Februar 1996 in Antalya) war ein türkischer Geschäftsmann, Philanthrop und Gründer der Koç Holding Durable Consumer Goods Group, die neben Unternehmen wie Beko Elektronik oder Arçelik über 100 Gesellschaften mit knapp… … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of Turkish people — This is a list of notable Turkish people. Actors/actresses * İsmail Ferhat Özlü * Güllü Agop * Tarık Akan Actor * Azra Akın Model, Miss World 2002 * Barış Akarsu * Filiz Akın – Actress * Fatih Akın, film director * Metin Akpınar – Actor * Derya… … Wikipedia
Otosan — Type Joint stock company (ISE) Industry Automotive Founded 1959 Headquarters İzmit, Turkey List of Ford factories Key people … Wikipedia