- Earthworm eel
Earthworm eels Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Actinopterygii Order: Synbranchiformes Suborder: Mastacembeloidei Family: Chaudhuriidae Genera
The earthworm eels are a family (Chaudhuriidae) of small freshwater eel-like fish related to the swamp eels and spiny eels. The ten known species (as of 2011[update]) are literally the size and shape of earthworms, thus the family name. While one species, the Burmese spineless eel (Chaudhuria caudata) was reported from the Inle Lake by Nelson Annandale in 1918, the others have been only recently reported (since the 1970s), all in the eastern Asia area, from India to Korea.
Neither the dorsal nor anal fins have spines, and in Nagaichthys and Pillaia they have fused with the caudal fin; in the other genera the caudal is small but separate. The bodies have no scales. The few specimens found to date have been no longer than 8 cm, and Nagaichthys filipes is only known to reach 3.1 cm. The eye is small, covered in thick skin.
Almost nothing is known of the habits and biology of the earthworm eels.
The family name "Chaudhuriidae" comes from a Burmese local name for a fish.
The family currently includes ten described species in six genera.
- Genus Bihunichthys Kottelat & Lim, 1994
- Bihunichthys monopteroides Kottelat & Lim, 1994
- Genus Chaudhuria Annandale, 1918
- Genus Chendol Kottelat & Lim, 1994
- Genus Garo Yazdani & Talwar, 1981
- Garo Spineless Eel, (Garo khajuriai) (Talwar, Yazdani & Kundu, 1977)
- Genus Nagaichthys Kottelat & Lim, 1991
- Nagaichthys filipes - Kottelat & Lim, 1991
- Genus Pillaia Yazdani, 1972
- Hillstream Spineless Eel, (Pillaia indica) Yazdani, 1972
- Pillaia kachinica - Kullander, Britz & Fang, 2000
- Annandale, N. 1918. Fish and fisheries of the Inlé Lake. Records of the Indian Museum, 14: 33–64
- Kullander, S.O., R. Britz & F. Fang. 2000. Pillaia kachinica, a new chaudhuriid fish from Myanmar, with observations on the genus Garo (Teleostei: Chaudhuriidae). Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters, 11: 327–334.
- Kerle, R., R. Britz & K.L. Ng 2000. Habitat preference, reproduction and diet of the earthworm eel, Chendol keelini (Teleostei: Chaudhuriidae). Env. Biol. Fishes 57(4): 413–422.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2006). "Chaudhuriidae" in FishBase. May 2006 version.
- Ferraris, Carl J. Sven O. Kullander, Fang Fang (2004-01-10). "Earthworm eels (Chaudhuriidae) in Myanmar". Archived from the original on 2004-10-23. http://web.archive.org/web/20041023222135/http://www.nrm.se/ve/pisces/myanmar/myanchau.shtml. Retrieved 2006-08-14.
- Genus Bihunichthys Kottelat & Lim, 1994
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of fish common names — This is a list of fish common names. While some common names refer to a single species or family, others have been used for a confusing variety of different types; the articles listed here should explain the possibilities if the name is ambiguous … Wikipedia
Synbranchiformes — Taxobox name = Synbranchiforms image caption = Monopterus albus image width = 250px regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Actinopterygii ordo = Synbranchiformes subdivision ranks = Families subdivision = Synbranchidae Chaudhuriidae… … Wikipedia
Maurice Kottelat — Dr. Maurice Kottelat (born 1957 in Delémont, Switzerland) is a Swiss ichthyologist. In 1976 he entered the University of Neuchâtel where he obtained his diploma in 1987. In 1980 he went to Thailand where he began his field research on… … Wikipedia
Creature Tech — Cover of Creature Tech TPB Publisher Top Shelf Productions Date February 2003 … Wikipedia
Doug TenNapel — TenNapel in June 2011 Born Douglas Richard TenNapel November 14, 1967 (1967 11 14) (age 44) Denair, Stanislaus C … Wikipedia
Kaiketsu Zorori — Zorori fighting a dragon to rescue Princess Elzie. Arthur is on the bottom left. かいけつゾロリ Genre Comedy, Adventure … Wikipedia
List of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition monsters — This literature related list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it. See also: List of Dungeons Dragons monsters Contents 1 TSR 2009 Monster Manual (1977 … Wikipedia
locomotion — /loh keuh moh sheuhn/, n. the act or power of moving from place to place. [1640 50; see LOCOMOTIVE, MOTION] * * * Any of various animal movements that result in progression from one place to another. Locomotion is classified as either… … Universalium
Sardinian language — Infobox Language name=Sardinian nativename=Sardu, Saldu familycolor=Indo European states=Italy, Australia, Germany, USA, UK region=Sardinia speakers=1.85 million [cite web |url=http://www.ethnologue.com/language index.asp?letter=S… … Wikipedia
muscle — muscleless, adj. muscly, adj. /mus euhl/, n., v., muscled, muscling, adj. n. 1. a tissue composed of cells or fibers, the contraction of which produces movement in the body. 2. an organ, composed of muscle tissue, that contracts to produce a… … Universalium