List of schools in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York

This is a list of schools in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York.

High Schools

New York City

The Bronx

* Academy of Mount St. Ursula High School - All-girls' school established in 1855; staffed by the Ursuline Sisters. [http://www.amsu.org]
* All Hallows High School - All-boys' school established in 1909; staffed by the Irish Christian Brothers. [http://www.allhollows.org]
* Aquinas High School - All-girls' school established in 1939; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill. [http://www.aquinashs.org]
* Cardinal Hayes High School - All-boys' school established in 1941; staffed by archdiocesan priests, Brothers of St. Charles Lwanga, Carmelite Brothers, Dominican Sisters of Sparkill and Irish Christian Brothers. Formerly staffed by the Lasallian Christian Brothers, Franciscan Brothers and Priests, Marist Brothers and Xaverian Brothers. [http://www.cardinalhayes.org]
* Cardinal Spellman High School - Co-ed school established in 1959; staffed by archdiocesan priests. [http://www.cardinalspellman.org]
* Fordham Preparatory School - All-boys' school established in 1841; staffed by the Jesuit Fathers. [http://www.fordhamprep.org/fp]
* Monsignor Scanlan High School - Coed school established in 1976; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill. Formerly staffed by the Marist Brothers. [http://www.scanlanhs.edu]
* Mount Saint Michael Academy - All-boys' school established in 1926; staffed by the Marist Brothers. [http://www.mountstmichael.org]
* Preston High School - All-girls' school established in 1947; staffed by the Sisters of the Divine Compassion. [http://www.prestonhs.org]
* St. Barnabas High School - All-girls' school established in 1959; staffed by the Sisters of Mercy, Sisters of Charity and the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. [http://www.stbarnabashigh.com/]
* St. Catharine Academy - All-girls' school established in 1889; staffed by the Sisters of Mercy, Dominican Sisters of Sparkill, Sisters of Charity and the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. [http://www.scahs.org]
* St. Pius V High School - All-girls' school established in 1962; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt. [http://www.stpiusvhs.org/]
* St. Raymond Academy - All-girls' school established in 1960; staffed by the Sisters of Charity and the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt. [http://www.saintraymondacademy.org/]
* St. Raymond High School for Boys - All-boys' school established in 1960; staffed by the Lasallian Christian Brothers. [http://www.straymondhighschool.org/]

Manhattan

* Cathedral High School (Girls only) [http://www.cathedralhs.org/]
* Convent of the Sacred Heart - All-girls' school founded in 1881; sponsored by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. [http://www.cshnyc.org]
* Cristo Rey School - Coed school staffed by the Sisters of Christian Charity and Jesuit Fathers; sponsored by the Society of the Holy Child Jesus and the Sisters of St. Dominic. [http://www.cristoreyny.org/]
* Dominican Academy - All-girls' school staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Columbus and the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. [http://www.dominicanacademy.org]
* La Salle Academy - All-boys' school founded in 1848; staffed by the Lasallian Christian Brothers. [http://www.lasalleacademy.org/]
* Loyola High School - Coed school founded in 1900; staffed by the Jesuit Fathers and Sisters of Notre Dame; formerly all-boys' until 1973. [http://www.loyola-nyc.org/]
* Marymount School - All-girls' school founded in 1926; staffed by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. [http://www.marymount.k12.ny.us]
* Mother Cabrini High School - All-girls' school founded in 1899; staffed by the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart. [http://www.cabrinihs.com/]
* Notre Dame High School - All-girls' school established in 1943; formerly located on W. 79th St. and St. Mark's Place. Staffed by the Sisters of St. Ursula.
* Regis High School - All-boys' school founded in 1914; staffed by the Jesuit Fathers & Oratorian Fathers. [http://www.regis-nyc.org/]
* Rice High School - All-boys' school staffed by the Irish Christian Brothers. [http://www.ricehighschool.com/]
* St. Agnes Boys High School - All-boys' school; staffed by the Marist Brothers.
* St. George Academy - Ukrainian Parish high school. [http://www.saintgeorgeschools.org]
* St. Jean Baptiste High School - All-girls' school founded in 1929; staffed by the Congregation de Notre Dame. [http://www.stjean.org/]
* St. Michael Academy - All-girls' school established in 1924; staffed by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. [http://www.stmichaelsnyc.org/site/pp.asp?c=esJWJ5OPF&b=39144]
* St. Vincent Ferrer High School - All-girls' school staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Columbus. [http://www.saintvincentferrer.com/]
* Xavier High School - All-boys' school staffed by the Jesuit Fathers. [http://www.xavierhs.org]

taten Island

* Monsignor Farrell High School - All-boys' school established in 1960; staffed by archdiocesan priests, Irish Christian Brothers and the Sisters of Charity. [http://www.msgrfarrellhs.org/]
* Moore Catholic High School - Coed school established in 1962; formerly an all-girls' school (1962-1969). Staffed by Archdiocesan priest and Sisters of Our Lady of the Garden (2002-present). Formerly staffed by the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Sisters [http://www.moorecatholichs.org]
* Notre Dame Academy - All-girls' school established in 1903; staffed by the Congregation de Notre Dame. [http://www.notredameacademy.org/]
* St. John Villa Academy - All-girls' school established in 1932; staffed by the Sisters of St. John the Baptist. [http://www.sjva.org/]
* St. Joseph by the Sea High School - Coed school established in 1963; formerly an all-girls' school (1963-1973). Staffed by Archdiocesan priests, Sisters of Charity, Sisters of St. Francis and Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. [http://www.stjosephbythesea.org]
* St. Joseph Hill Academy - All-girls' school established in 1930; staffed by the Daughters of Divine Charity. [http://www.stjhill.org/]
* St. Peter's Boys High School - All-boys' school established in 1917; staffed by the Lasallian Christian Brothers and Sisters of St. Joseph of Brentwood. [http://www.stpetersboyshs.org/]
* St. Peter's High School for Girls - All-girls' school established in 1917. [http://www.stpetersgirlshs.org/]

Dutchess County

* Our Lady of Lourdes High School (Poughkeepsie) - Coed school established in 1958. Staffed by the Marist Brothers; sponsored by the Dominican Sisters. [http://www.ollchs.org]

Orange County

* John S. Burke Catholic High School (Goshen) - Coed school established in 1963; formerly staffed by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. [http://www.burkecatholic.org]

Rockland County

* Albertus Magnus High School (Bardonia) - Coed school established in 1957.; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill. [http://www.albertusmagnus.net/]

Ulster County

* John A. Coleman Catholic High School (Hurley) - Coed school established in 1966; staffed by the Sisters of St. Ursula. [http://www.colemancatholic.org]

Westchester County

* Academy of Our Lady of Good Counsel (White Plains) - All-girls' school established in 1922; operated and staffed by the Sisters of the Divine Compassion. [http://www.goodcounselacademyhs.org] .
* Archbishop Stepinac High School (White Plains) - All-boys' school established in 1949; operated by the Archdiocese and staffed by archdiocesan priests. [http://www.stepinac.org]
* Blessed Sacrament-St. Gabriel High School (New Rochelle) - Co-educational school established in 1985 by the merger of Blessed Sacrament High School & St. Gabriel High School. Operated by the parishes of Blessed Sacrament & St. Gabriel and formerly staffed by the Irish Christian Brothers and Sisters of Charity.
* Iona Preparatory School (New Rochelle) - All-boys' school established in 1916; operated and staffed by the Irish Christian Brothers. [http://www.ionaprep.org]
* John F. Kennedy Catholic High School (Somers) - Co-educational school established in 1967; operated by the Archdiocese and staffed by archdiocesan priests and Sisters of Charity. [http://www.kennedycatholic.org/]
* Maria Regina High School (Hartsdale) - All-girls' school established in 1957; operated by the archdiocese and staffed by the Sisters of the Resurrection, Dominincan Sisters and Franciscan Sisters of Peace. [http://www.mariaregina.org]
* Our Lady of Victory Academy (Dobbs Ferry) - All-girls' school established in 1961; operated and staffed by the Sisters of Mercy. [http://www.victoryhs.org]
* Sacred Heart High School (Yonkers) - Co-educational school established in 1923; operated by the parish of Sacred Heart and the Capuchin Friars. Formerly staffed by the Capuchin Friars, Sisters of St. Agnes and Lasallian Christian Brothers. [http://www.sacredhearths.net/]
* Salesian High School (New Rochelle) - All-boys' school established in 1920; operated and staffed by the Salesians of Don Bosco. [http://www.salesianhigh.org/]
* School of the Holy Child (Rye) - All-girls' school established in 1957; operated and staffed by the Society of the Holy Child Jesus. [http://www.holychildrye.org/]
* The Montfort Academy (Katonah) - [http://www.themontfortacademy.org/]
* The Ursuline School (New Rochelle) - All-girls' school established in 1897; operated and staffed by the Ursuline Sisters. [http://www.ursuline.pvt.k12.ny.us]

Elementary Schools

New York City

The Bronx

* Blessed Sacrament Parish School (1160 Beach Ave.) - Established in 1929.
* Christ the King Parish Elementary School - Grades 1-8 only.
* Holy Cross Parish School
* Holy Family Parish School
* Holy Rosary Parish School
* Holy Spirit Parish School
* Immaculate Conception Parish School (378 E. 151st St.)
* Immaculate Conception Parish School (760 E. Gun Hill Rd.) - Established in 1952; formerly staffed by the Pallotine Sisters.
* Mount St. Michael Private Elementary School (Boys only) - Grades 6-8 only.
* Nativity of Our Blessed Lady Parish School
* Our Lady of Angels Parish School
* Our Lady of Grace Parish School
* Our Lady of Mercy Parish School - Formerly staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa.
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish School (2465 Bathgate Ave.) - Established in 1924; formerly staffed by the Pallotine Sisters, Sisters of Our Lady of Lourdes and Brothers of the Holy Cross.
* Our Lady of Refuge Parish School
* Our Lady of Solace Parish School
* Our Lady of the Assumption Parish School
* Sacred Heart Private School (1651 Zerega Ave.) - Established in 1935; staffed by the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
* Santa Maria Parish School (1510 Zerega Ave.) - Established in 1951; staffed by the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
* St. Angela Merici Parish School
* St. Ann Parish School
* St. Anselm Parish School
* St. Anthony Parish School (1776 Mansion St.)
* St. Anthony Parish School (4535 Richardson Ave.)
* St. Athanasius Parish School
* St. Augustine Parish School
* St. Barnabas Parish School (413 East 241st Street) - Established in 1913; staffed by the Sisters of Charity.
* St. Benedict Parish School
* St. Brendan Parish School (268 E. 207th Street) - Established in 1912; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill.
* St. Clare of Assisi Parish School - Established in 1951; staffed by the Oblates of the Blessed Trinity.
* St. Dominic Parish School (1684 White Plains Rd.) - Staffed by the Sisters of St. John the Baptist.
* St. Frances de Chantal Parish School - Established in 1930; staffed by the Sisters of Divine Compassion.
* St. Francis of Assisi Parish School - Established in 1968; grades 1-8 only.
* St. Frances of Rome Parish School
* St. Francis Xavier Parish School
* St. Gabriel Parish School
* St. Helena Parish School
* St. Jerome Parish School
* St. John Chrysostom Parish School
* St. John Parish School (Kingsbridge) Religious of Jesus and Mary
* St. John Vianney Parish School (2141 Seward Avenue) - Established in 1963.
* St. Joseph Parish School
* St. Lucy Parish School (Mace Ave. at Bronxwood Ave.) - Established in 1955; staffed until 1974 by the Franciscan Sisters of Allegheny.
* St. Luke Parish School
* St. Margaret of Cortona Parish School
* St. Margaret Mary Parish School
* St. Martin of Tours Parish School (695 East 182nd St.) - Established in 1925; staffed by the Dominican Sisters.
* St. Mary Parish School
* St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish School (580 Minnieford Ave.) - Established in 1950.
* St. Nicholas of Tolentine Parish School (2345 University Ave.) - Established in 1907.
* St. Philip Neri Parish School
* St. Simon Stock Parish School
* St. Raymond Parish School (Girls only)
* St. Theresa Parish School (2872 St. Theresa Ave.) - Established in 1954; formerly staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill.
* St. Thomas Aquinas Parish School
* Sts. Peter and Paul Parish School
* Sts. Philip and James Parish School
* Villa Maria Academy Private School (3355 Country Club Rd.) - Staffed by the Congregation of Notre Dame Sisters.
* Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish School

Manhattan

* All Saints Parish School (52 E. 130th St.) - Formerly staffed by the Irish Christian Brothers and Sisters of Charity.
* Annunciation Parish School
* Ascension Parish School (220 W. 108th St.) - Established in 1911; formerly staffed by the Sisters of Charity and the Lasallian Christian Brothers.
* Blessed Sacrament Parish School (147 W. 70th St.) - Established in 1903; formerly staffed by the Sisters of Charity and the Lasallian Christian Brothers.
* Convent of the Sacred Heart Private School (Girls only)
* Cornelia Connelly Center for Education - Grades 5-8 only.
* Corpus Christi Parish School (535 W. 121st St.) - Established in 1907; staffed by the Marist Brothers and formerly staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa.
* Epiphany Parish School (234 E. 22nd St.) [http://www.the-epiphany.org/] - Established in 1888; formerly staffed by the Lasallian Christian Brothers (1900-1935) and the Sisters of Charity (1888-1978).
* Good Shepherd Parish School
* Guardian Angel Parish School
* Holy Cross Parish School
* Holy Name of Jesus Parish School
* Immaculate Conception Parish School
* Incarnation Parish School
* Mary Help of Christians Parish School
* Mount Carmel/Holy Rosary Parish School
* Nativity Mission Private School - Grades 6-8 only.
* Our Lady of Lourdes Parish School
* Our Lady of Pompeii Parish School (240 Bleecker St.) - Established in 1930; staffed by the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
* Our Lady of Sorrows Parish School
* Our Lady Queen of Angels Parish School [http://www.olqaeastharlem.org/]
* Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Parish School (Arden St. at Dongan Pl.) [http://olqmnyc.org/] - Established in 1932.
* Resurrection Parish School
* Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish School
* St. Aloysius Parish School (132nd St., W. of Seventh Ave.) - Established in 1940; previously staffed by the Handmaids of the Most Pure Heart of Mary.
* St. Angela Merici School
* St. Ann Parish School
* St. Brigid Parish School
* St. Charles Borromeo Parish School - Established in 1924; staffed by the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament.
* St. Columba Parish School
* St. Elizabeth Parish School
* St. George Private School
* St. Gregory the Great Parish School
* St. Ignatius Loyola Parish School
* St. James Parish School
* St. Joseph of the Holy Family Parish School
* St. Joseph of Yorkville Parish School
* St. Joseph Parish School (1 Monroe St.) - Established in 1926; staffed by the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
* St. Jude Parish School (433 W. 204th St.) - Established in 1952.
* St. Mark the Evangelist Parish School
* St. Patrick Old Cathedral Parish School
* St. Paul Parish School (117th St.) - Established in 1877; staffed by the Sisters Servants of the Lord and Virgin of Matara. Formerly staffed by the Sisters of Charity.
* St. Rose of Lima Parish School
* St. Stephen of Hungary Parish School - Formerly staffed by the Sister, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
* Transfiguration Parish School - Grades 1-8 only. Formerly staffed by the Maryknoll Sisters.

taten Island

* Academy of St. Dorothy Private School
* Blessed Sacrament Parish School (830 Delafield Ave.) - Established in 1917; formerly staffed by the Sisters of Charity.
* Holy Rosary Parish School
* Immaculate Conception Parish School (Stapleton) - Established in 1907.
* Notre Dame Academy Private School (Girls only)
* Our Lady Help of Christians Parish School
* Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish School
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel/St. Benedicta Parish School
* Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish School
* Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish School
* Sacred Heart Parish School
* St. Adalbert Parish School
* St. Ann Parish School
* St. Charles Parish School - Established in 1963.
* St. Christopher Parish School
* St. Clare Parish School
* St. John Villa Academy Private School (57 Cleveland Place) - Staffed by the Sisters of St. John the Baptist.
* St. Joseph and St. Thomas Parish School (50 Maguire Ave.) - Established in 1966; formerly staffed by the Marianites of the Holy Cross (1966-1981).
* St. Joseph Hill Academy Private School (Girls only)
* St. Joseph Parish School
* St. Margaret Mary Parish School
* St. Mary Parish School
* St. Patrick Parish School
* St. Paul Parish School
* St. Peter Parish School
* St. Rita Parish School
* St. Roch Parish School (465 Villa Ave.) - Staffed by the Sisters of St. John the Baptist.
* St. Sylvester Parish School
* St. Teresa Parish School

Dutchess County

* Holy Trinity Parish School (Poughkeepsie) - Established in 1952; staffed by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
* Regina Coeli Parish School (Hyde Park)
* St. Denis/St. Columba Parish School (Hopewell Junction) - Grades 1-8 only.
* St. Joseph Parish School (Millbrook) [http://www.stjosephmillbrook.org/main.htm]
* St. Martin de Porres Parish School (Poughkeepsie)
* St. Mary Parish School (Fishkill)
* St. Mary Parish School (Wappingers Falls)
* St. Peter Parish School (Poughkeepsie) - Established in 1844

Orange County

* Bishop Dunn Memorial Private School (Newburgh) - Staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Hope.
* Most Precious Blood Parish School (Walden)
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish School (Middletown)
* Sacred Heart Parish School (Monroe)
* Sacred Heart/St. Francis Parish School (Newburgh)
* Sacred Heart of Jesus Elementary School (Highland Falls) - Established in 1930; formerly staffed by the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
* St. John the Evangelist Parish School (Goshen) - Grades 1-8 only.
* St. Joseph Parish School (New Windsor)
* St. Joseph Parish School (Middletown) - Established in 1900; formerly staffed by the Ursuline Sisters.
* St. Stephen Parish School (Warwick) - Formerly staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame.
* St. Thomas of Canterbury Parish School (Cornwall-on-Hudson)

Putnam County

* St. James the Apostle Parish School (Carmel)
* St. John the Evangelist Parish School (Mahopac)

Rockland County

* Sacred Heart Parish School (Suffern)
* St. Anthony Parish School (Nanuet) [http://www.stanthonyschoolnanuet.org/] - Established in 1953; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill.
* St. Augustine Parish Elementary School (New City)
* St. Gregory Barbarigo Parish School (Garnerville) - Established in 1963.
* St. Margaret Parish School (Pearl River)
* St. Paul Parish School (Valley Cottage)
* St. Peter Parish School (Haverstraw) - Established in 1863.

ullivan County

* St. Peter Regional Parish School (Liberty) - Established in 1897; formerly staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt.

Ulster County

* Kingston Catholic School (Kingston) - Established in 1970; formed by the merger of St. Mary and St. Peter schools in Kingston.
* St. Augustine Parish School (Highland) - Established in 1958; formerly staffed by the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart (1958-1973).
* St. Joseph Parish School (Kingston) - Formerly staffed by the Sisters of St. Ursula (1943-2001).
* St. Mary of the Snow Parish School (Saugerties) - Established in 1882; formerly staffed by the Sisters of Charity.

Westchester County

* Annunciation Parish School (Crestwood)
* Assumption Parish School (Peekskill)
* Corpus Christi/Holy Family School (Port Chester) - Established in 2008 through the merger of Corpus Christi and Holy Family schools.
* Christ the King Parish School (Yonkers)
* Good Counsel Academy Private School (White Plains) - Sponsored by the Sisters of Divine Compassion.
* Holy Name of Jesus Parish School (Valhalla) - Established in 1963.
* Immaculate Conception Parish School (Tuckahoe) - Formerly staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis.
* Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish School (Scarsdale) - Established in 1928; formerly staffed by the Sisters of Charity (1928-1967) and Dominican Sisters of Sparkill (1967-1972).
* Iona Grammar Private School (New Rochelle) - Sponsored by the Irish Christian Brothers.
* Our Lady of Fatima Parish School (Scarsdale)
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish School (Elmsford) - Established in 1929; staffed by the Sisters of Divine Compassion.
* Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish School (Pelham Manor)
* Our Lady Of Sorrows Parish School (White Plains) - Grades 1-8 only.
* Our Lady of Victory Parish School (Mount Vernon)
* Resurrection Parish School (Rye)
* Sacred Heart Parish School (Hartsdale) - Established in 1953; staffed by the Sisters of Charity (1979-present). Formerly staffed by the Sisters of Divine Compassion (1953-1979).
* Sacred Heart Parish School (Yonkers)
* Sacred Heart School for the Arts Parish School (Mount Vernon)
* St. Ann Parish School (Ossining)
* St. Ann Parish School (Yonkers)
* St. Anthony Parish School (Yonkers) - Established in 1962; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill.
* St. Anthony of Padua Parish School] (West Harrison)
* St. Augustine Parish School (Ossining)
* St. Bartholomew Parish School (Yonkers) - Established in 1958; formerly staffed by the Presentation Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
* St. Casimir Parish School (Yonkers) - Established in 1910; formerly staffed by the Sisters of the Resurrection (1910-1997).
* St. Columbanus Parish School (Cortlandt Manor)
* St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish School (Shrub Oak)
* St. Eugene Parish School (Yonkers)
* St. John the Baptist Parish School (Yonkers)
* St. Joseph Parish School (Bronxville)
* St. Joseph Parish School (Croton Falls)
* St. Mary Parish School (Yonkers) - Established in 1857; staffed by the Sisters of Charity of New York (1857-present). Formerly staffed by the Lasallian Christian Brothers.
* St. Patrick Parish School (Bedford)
* St. Patrick Parish School (Yorktown Heights) - Established in 1953; formerly staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Peace (1953-2004).
* St. Paul the Apostle Parish School (Yonkers) - Established in 1949.
* St. Peter Parish School (Yonkers) - Established in 1911.
* St. Theresa Parish School (Briarcliff Manor)
* Sts. John & Paul Parish School (Larchmont)
* Sts. Peter & Paul Parish School (Mount Vernon) - Established in 1949; formerly staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Child.
* Transfiguration Parish School (Tarrytown)

pecial Schools

* Lavelle School for the Blind (The Bronx) - Established in 1904; sponsored by the Marist Brothers and Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt.
* St. Joseph Private School for the Deaf (The Bronx) - Established in 1869; sponsored by the Daughters of the Heart of Mary.

chools that have closed in the Archdiocese

Catholic Colleges and Universities

Colleges and Universities in New York City

* College of Holy Names (Manhattan) - Run by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus & Mary; closed in 1969.
* Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart (Manhattan) - Run by the Society of the Sacred Heart; opened in 1917 and moved to Purchase in 1952.
* Mercy Hospital School of Nursing (Manhattan) - Run by the Sisters of Mercy; operated from 1904 to 1967.
* Misericordia Hospital School of Nursing (The Bronx) - Run by the Misericordia Sisters; operated from 1911 to 1982. Located in Manhattan from 1911 to 1958.
* Notre Dame College (Staten Island) - Run by the Sisters of Notre Dame; operated from 1931 to 1971.
* St. Clare Hospital School of Nursing (Manhattan) - Run by the Franciscan Sisters of Alleghany; operated from 1951 to 1976.
* St. Francis Xavier College (Manhattan) - Run by the Society of Jesus; operated from 1847 to 1912.
* St. Pius X School of Liturgical Music (Manhattan) - Run by the Society of the Sacred Heart; opened in 1916 and moved to Purchase in 1952.
* St. Vincent Hospital School of Nursing (Manhattan) - Run by the Sisters of Charity; operated from 1905 to 1999.
* St. Vincent Hospital School of Nursing (Staten Island) - Run by the Sisters of Charity; operated from 1912 to 1998.

Colleges and Universities Outside of New York City

* Elizabeth Seton College (Yonkers) - Run by the Sisters of Charity of New York; opened in 1961 and merged with Iona College in 1989.
* Epiphany Apostolic College (Newburgh) - Run by the Josephite Fathers of Baltimore; merged with Our Lady of Hope Seminary in 1970.
* Good Counsel College (White Plains) - Run by the Sisters of the Divine Compassion; opened in 1923 and merged with Pace University in 1975.
* Ladycliff College (Highland Falls) - Run by the Missionary Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis; operated from 1933 to 1980.
* Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart (Purchase) - Run by the Society of the Sacred Heart; moved from Manhattan in 1952 and became non-denominational in 1971.
* Marian College (Poughkeepsie) - Run by the Marist Brothers; opened in 1946 and was renamed Marist College in 1959.
* Maryknoll School of Theology (Maryknoll) - Run by the Maryknoll Sisters of St. Dominic; operated from 1933 to 1995.
* Marymount College (Tarrytown) - Run by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary; operated from 1907 to 2002. Merged with Fordham University in 2002 and closed in 2007.
* Presentation Junior College of the Sacred Heart (New Windsor) - Run by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary; closed in 1970.
* Queen of Apostles College (Harriman) - Run by the Sisters of the Catholic Apostolate; closed in 1981.
* Rodgers College (Maryknoll) - Run by the Maryknoll Sisters of St. Dominic; closed in 1973. Formerly known as Maryknoll Teachers' College and Mary Rodgers College.
* St. Ann Scholasticate (Poughkeepsie) - Run by the Marist Brothers; opened in 1910 and was renamed to Marian College in 1946.
* St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing (Yonkers) - Run by the Sisters of Charity; operated from 1946 to 1978.
* St. Pius X School of Liturgical Music (Purchase) - Run by the Society of the Sacred Heart; operated from 1952 to 1969.

eminaries and Novitiates

eminaries and Novitates in New York City

* Little Sisters of the Assumption Novitiate (Manhattan) - Operated from 1891 to 1954 at 241 East 15th Street; moved to 1195 Lexington Ave.
* Little Sisters of the Assumption Novitiate (Manhattan) - Operated from 1954 to 1984 at 1195 Lexington Avenue; moved to 475 East 115th St.
* Mission Helpers of the Sacred Heart Novitiate (Manhattan) - Closed in 1964.
* St. Bonaventure Seminary (The Bronx) - Run by the Capuchin Friars; operated ca. 1940
* St. Charles Seminary and Novitiate (Staten Island) - Run by the Missionaries of St. Charles Borromeo; operated from 1948 to 1966.
* St. Francis Seminary (Staten Island) - Run by the Franciscan Order of Friar Conventuals; closed by 1997.
* Woodstock College Jesuit Seminary (Manhattan) - Run by the Society of Jesus; originally founded in 1869 in Maryland and moved in 1969. Closed in 1974.

eminaries and Novitates Outside of New York City

* Capuchin Theological Seminary (Garrison) - Run by the Capuchin Friars; closed in 1972.
* Eymard Seminary (Hyde Park) - Run by the Fathers of the Blessed Sacrament; closed in 1966.
* Eymard Seminary (Suffern) - Run by the Fathers of the Blessed Sacrament; opened in 1909 and moved to Hyde Park.
* Helpers of the Holy Souls Novitiate (Chappaqua) - Operated from 1930 to 1973.
* Loyola Jesuit Seminary (Shrub Oak) - Operated from 1955 to 1973.
* Mother Celine House of Studies (Rye) - Run by the Sisters of the Resurrection; operated from 1947 to 1973.
* Mount Alvernia Seminary (Wappingers Falls) - Run by the Franciscan Order of Friars Minor; operated from 1950 to 1967.
* Mount St. Florence Novitiate (Peekskill) - Run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd; operated from 1874 to 1986.
* Mount St. Joseph Novitiate (Peekskill) - Run by the Missionary Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis; operated from 1870 to 1975.
* Our Lady of Hope Mission Seminary (Newburgh) - Run by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate; operated from 1946 to 1971.
* Salesian Seminary (Goshen) - Run by the Salesians of Don Bosco; operated from 1925 to 1985.
* Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament Novitiate (Yonkers) - Opened in 1912 and moved to Scarsdale in 1996.
* St. Albert Junior Seminary (Middletown) - Run by the Carmelites.
* St. Alphonsus Seminary (Esopus) - Run by the Redemptionist Fathers; operated from 1907 to 1985.
* St. Andrew-on-Hudson Seminary & Novitiate (Hyde Park) - Run by the Society of Jesus; closed in 1969.
* St. Ann Juniorate (Poughkeepsie) - Run by the Marist Brothers; operated from 1906 to 1942.
* St. Ann Novitiate (Poughkeepsie) - Run by the Marist Brothers; opened in 1908 and moved to Tyngsboro in 1949.
* St. Joseph Normal College (Pocantico Hills) - Run by the Lasallian Christian Brothers; opened in 1906 and moved to Barrytown in 1930.
* St. Joseph Normal Institute (Amawalk) - Run by the Lasallian Christian Brothers; moved to Pocantico Hills in 1906.
* St. Joseph Juniorate and Novitiate (Barrytown) - Run by the Lasallian Christian Brothers; operated from 1930 to 1973.
* St. Joseph Novitiate (Cold Spring) - Run by the Fathers of Mercy
* St. Joseph Novitiate (Tarrytown) - Run by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary; operated from 1907 to 2007.
* St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary (Callicoon) - Run by the Franciscan Order of Friar Minors; operated from 1901 to 1968.
* St. Pius X Seminary (Garrison) - Run by the Franciscan Friars of Atonement; closed in 1969.
* Ursuline Novitiate (Beacon) - Run by the Ursuline Sisters

High Schools

New York City

The Bronx

* Aquinas Hall Business School - Run by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill; operated from 1923 to 1939.
* Clason Point Military Academy - Run by the Lasallian Christian Brothers; opened in 1883 and moved to Oakdale in 1927 and renamed La Salle Military Academy.
* Manhattan Preparatory School - Run by the Lasallian Christian Brothers; operated from 1854 to 1972.
* Mother Butler High School - Run by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary; merged in 1974 with Immaculate Heart of Mary High School in Manhattan.
* St. Brendan Academy - Parish high school; opened in 1931 and closed in 1939.
* St. Helena Commercial High School - Parish high school; opened in 1956 and merged with Msgr. Scanlan High School in 2002.
* St. Helena High School for Boys - Parish high school staffed by the Marist Brothers; opened in 1949. Renamed to Msgr. Scanlan High School in 1972 and merged with Msgr. Scanlan High School for Girls in 1976.
* St. Helena High School for Girls - Parish high school staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill; opened in 1949. Renamed to Msgr. Scanlan High School in 1972 and merged with Msgr. Scanlan High School for Boys in 1976.
* St. Nicholas of Tolentine High School - Parish high school; operated from 1927 to 1991.
* St. Pius Commercial School - Parish high school; operated from 1930 to 1962. Coed school from 1930 to 1945; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill. Renamed to St. Pius V High School in 1962.

Manhattan

* Academy of the Sacred Heart of Mary - Run by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary; operated from 1947 to
* Academy of the Sacred Heart - Run by the Society of the Sacred Heart; operated from 1841 to 1917.
* Assisium Secretarial School - Run by the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
* Bishop Dubois High School - Operated from 1946 to 1976.
* Blessed Sacrament High School - Parish high school; operated from 1924 to 1964.
* Cathedral High School at St. Joseph Parish (109-11 Washington Place) - Operated from 1944 to ?
* De La Salle Institute - Run by the Lasallian Christian Brothers; closed in 1960.
* Holy Cross Academy - Run by the Sisters of Charity; operated from 1858 to 1972.
* Holy Rosary High School
* Holy Trinity High School - Parish high school; closed in 1960.
* Immaculata High School - Parish high school; operated from 1934 to 1989.
* Immaculate Heart of Mary High School - Merged in 1974 with Mother Butler High School in the Bronx.
* Our Lady of Lourdes Academy - Operated from 1912 to 1943; run by the Sisters of St. Ursula; moved to W. 79th St. and renamed Notre Dame School.
* Paulist Fathers High School - Run by the Paulist Fathers; operated from 1922 to 1974.
* Power Memorial Academy - Run by the Christian Brothers; closed in 1984.
* St. Alphonsus Commercial High School for Girls - Parish high school; closed in 1980. Formerly staffed by the Sister, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
* St. Ann Academy - Run by the Marist Brothers; operated from 1892 to 1957; moved to Jamaica and renamed Archbishop Molloy High School.
* St. Lawrence Academy - Operated from 1854 to 1960; staffed by the Jesuit Fathers
* St. Michael Academy for Boys - Parish high school; operated from 1931 to 1947 and staffed by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
* St. Walburga Academy - Operated from 1904 to 1957; staffed by the Society of the Holy Child of Jesus. Moved to Rye in 1957.

taten Island

* Augustinian Academy - Run by the Augustinian Friars; operated from 1899 to 1969.

Dutchess County

* Cardinal Farley Military Academy (Rhinecliff) - Run by the Irish Christian Brothers; operated from 1942 to 1971.
* St. Peter High School (Poughkeepsie) - Parish high school staffed by the Marist Brothers; operated from 1927 to 1936.

Orange County

* Garr Institute (Goshen) - Parish high school; operated from 1904 to 1946. Staffed by the Sisters of Charity and the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary; renamed to St. John High School in 1946.
* Mount St. Joseph Academy) (New Windsor) - Staffed by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
* Mount St. Vincent Academy (Tuxedo Park) - Staffed by the Sisters of Charity
* Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Academy (Goshen)
* St. John High School (Goshen) - Archdiocesan high school; operated from 1946 to 1963. Staffed by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary; renamed to John S. Burke Catholic High School in 1963.

Rockland County

* Rosary Academy (Sparkill) - Run by the Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of the Rosary; operated from 1956 to 1980.
* School of the Holy Child (Suffern) - Run by the Society of the Holy Child of Jesus; closed by 1985.
* St. Agnes School (Sparkill) - Run by the Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of the Rosary; operated from 1876 to 1977.

Ulster County

* Academy of St. Ursula (Kingston) - Run by Sisters of St. Ursula; operated from 1925 to 1966. Succeeded by John A. Coleman Catholic High School

Westchester County

* Academy of the Resurrection High School (Rye) - Parish high school; operated from 1950 to 1991.
* Blessed Sacrament Academy (Yonkers) - Run by the Sacramentine Sisters; closed in 1975.
* Blessed Sacrament High School for Boys (New Rochelle) - Parish high school; Merged with St. Gabriel High School for Girls in 1985.
* Franciscan High School (Mohegan Lake) - Run by the Franciscan Missionary Sisters; closed in 1991.
* Mary Immaculate High School (Ossining) - Run by Dominican Sisters of Columbus (OH); Operated from 1915 to 1975.
* St. Clare Academy (Hastings-on-Hudson) - Run by the Sisters of St. Francis.
* St. Gabriel High School for Girls (New Rochelle) - Parish high school; operated from 1924 to 1985. Merged with Blessed Sacrament High School for Boys in 1985.
* St. Mary High School (Katonah) - Parish high school; operated from 1924 to 1967. Succeeded by John F. Kennedy Catholic High School
* Villa Loretto School (Peekskill) - Run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd; closed in 1986.

Elementary Schools

New York City

The Bronx

* Mount St. Ursula Elementary School - Run by the Ursuline Sisters; operated from 1855 to 1968.
* Our Lady of Solace Parish School (Morris Park Ave. at Holland Ave.) - Operated from 1927 to 2005.
* St. Pius V Parish School - Closed in 2008.
* St. Valentine Parish School - Staffed by the Daughters of Mary of the Immaculate Conception.

Manhattan

* Commander John J. Shea Memorial School (132 E. 111th St.) - Opened in 1943; staffed by the Sisters of Mercy and the Irish Christian Brothers.
* Holy Cross Academy Private School - Operated from 1903 to 1950; staffed by the Sisters of Charity.
* Holy Innocents Parish School (West 37th Street) - Closed in 1918.
* Holy Trinity Parish School (West 83rd Street) - Closed by 1979.
* Mary Help of Christians Parish School - Closed in 2005.
* Our Lady of Loretto Parish School (Elizabeth St.) - Operated from 1927 to ??.
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish School - Merged with Our Lady of the Holy Rosary School in 1975.
* Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Parish School (450 E. 119th St.) - Opened in 1949 and merged with Our Lady of Mount Carmel School in 1975.
* Resurrection Parish School - Closed in 2005.
* Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary Parish School (E. 33rd St.) - Operated from 1925 to ??.
* St. Agnes Parish School (E. 45th St.) - Opened in 1893; staffed by the Sisters of Charity and Lasallian Christian Brothers.
* St. Ambrose Parish School (54th St.) - Operated from 1910 to 1935; staffed by the Sisters of St. Dominic.
* St. Ann Parish School (12th St.) - Opened in 1863; staffed by the Sisters of Charity.
* St. Bernard/St. Xavier Parish School - Closed in 2001.
* St. Catherine of Genoa Parish School - Closed in 2005.
* St. Cecilia Parish School (120 E. 106th St.) - Closed in 1991; staffed by the Sisters of Mercy and Irish Christian Brothers.
* St. Clemens Mary Parish School - Closed in 1971.
* St. Columba Parish School - Closed in 2005.
* St. Francis de Sales Academy (E. 97th St.) - Closed in 2007; formerly staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Union.
* St. Jean Baptiste Parish School (185 E. 76th Street) - Operated from 1886 to 1987.
* St. Joseph Parish School - Closed in 2005.
* St. Michael Parish School (W. 32nd St. at Ninth Ave.) - Operated from 1874 to 1971; staffed by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1919.
* St. Monica Parish School (416 E. 80th St.) - Operated from 1883 to 1974; staffed by the Sisters of Charity (1883-1944) and the Sisters of St. Francis (1944-1974).
* St. Paul the Apostle Parish School (415 W. 59th Street) - Run by the Paulist Fathers; operated from 1886 to 1974.
* St. Stephen the Martyr Parish School (28th St. near Lexington Ave.) - Staffed by the Sisters of Mercy.

taten Island

* St. Paul Parish School - Closed in 2005.

Dutchess County

* Immaculate Conception Parish School (Amenia) - Closed after 1975
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish School (Poughkeepsie) - Operated from 1930 to 2007.
* St. Joachim-St. John Parish School (Beacon) - Closed in 2001.
* St. Joseph School (Poughkeepsie) - Closed in 1966; also known as Mount Carmel South. Formerly staffed by the Sisters of the Resurrection.
* St. Mary School (Poughkeepsie) - Opened in 1878; formerly staffed by the Sisters of Charity.

Orange County

* Sacred Heart Parish School (Newburgh) - Merged with St. Francis of Assisi School.
* St. Columba Parish School (Chester) - Closed in 1991.
* St. Francis of Assisi Parish School (Newburgh) - Merged with Sacred Heart School; formerly staffed by the Sisters of the Resurrection.
* St. Mary Parish School (Port Jervis) - Operated from 1942 to 1971; formerly staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Allegheny.

Putnam County

* Our Lady of Loretto Parish School (Cold Spring) - Formerly staffed by the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart and the Franciscan Sisters of Peace.
* St. Lawrence O'Toole Parish School (Brewster) - Operated from 1927 to 2008; formerly staffed by the Sisters of Divine Compassion.

Rockland County

* Immaculate Conception Parish School (Stony Point) - Closed in 2008.
* Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Parish School (Tappan) - Operated from 1965 to 1992.
* St. Ann Parish School (Nyack) - Operated from 1892 to 2003.
* St. Catharine Parish School (Blauvelt) - Operated from 1957 to 2008.
* St. Joseph Parish School (Spring Valley) - Operated from 1927 to 2005.
* St. Michael Parish School (Rockland Lake) - Operated from 1907 to 1927; staffed by the Sisters of St. Agnes.

ullivan County

* Holy Cross Parish School (Callicoon) - Operated from 1925 to 1981; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Allegheny.
* Our Lady of the Angels Parish School (Jeffersonville) - Operated from 1954 to 1968; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Allegheny.
* St. Aloysius School ( [Livingston Manor, New York|Livingston Manor] )) - Closed after 1971; formerly staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt.
* St. Joseph Mountain School (Forestburgh) - Operated as a boarding school by the Sisters of St. Dominic.

Ulster County

* St. Catherine Laboure Parish School (Lake Katrine) - Operated from 1959 to 1972.
* St. Joseph Parish School (New Paltz) - Operated from 1949 to 1970; staffed by the Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth (1949-1970).
* St. Mary Parish School (Kingston) - Merged with St. Peter School in 1970 to form Kingston Catholic.
* St. Peter Parish School (Kingston) - Merged with St. Mary School in 1970 to form Kingston Catholic.
* St. Peter Parish School (Rosendale) - Closed in 2001.

Westchester County

* Assumption Parish School (Tuckahoe) - Closed in ??; Staffed by the Religious Teacher Filippi.
* Blessed Sacrament Parish School (New Rochelle) - Operated from 1924 to 2007; staffed by the Ursuline Sisters (1924-1995).
* Corpus Christi Parish School (Port Chester) - Merged in 2008 with Holy Rosary in Port Chester.
* Holy Family Parish School (New Rochelle) - Operated from 1920 to 2005; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Newburgh.
* Holy Rosary Parish School (Hawthorne) - Closed in 2008.
* Holy Rosary Parish School (Port Chester) - Merged in 2008 with Corpus Christi in Port Chester.
* Holy Name of Mary Parish School (Croton-on-Hudson) - Operated from 1929 to ~1985; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Peace/Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
* Immaculate Conception Parish School (Irvington) - Closed in 2008; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Peace.
* Most Holy Trinity Parish School (Mamaroneck) - Closed in 1986; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Hastings-on-Hudson and the Sisters of Charity.
* Most Holy Trinity Parish School (Yonkers) - Closed in 1986.
* Our Lady of Mercy/St. Mary Parish School (Port Chester) - Operated from 1848 to 1993; staffed by the Sisters of Charity of New York (1868-1993).
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel-St. Anthony Parish School (Yonkers) - Operated from 1963 to 2005.
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish School (Mount Vernon) - Operated from 1925 to 1991; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Allegheny (1925-1981).
* Sacred Heart Parish School (Dobbs Ferry) - Staffed by the Sisters of Mercy.
* St. Augustine Parish School (Larchmont) - Operated from 1912 to 1976; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Newburgh (1912-1973).
* St. Catharine Parish School (Pelham)
* St. Denis Parish School (Yonkers) - Operated from 1926 to 2006.
* St. Francis of Assisi School (Mount Kisco) - Operated from 1956 to ???.
* St. Gabriel Parish School (New Rochelle) - Closed in1976.
* St. Gregory the Great Parish School (Harrison, New York) - Operated 1953 to 2002.
* St. John & St. Mary Parish School (Chappaqua) - Operated from 1959 to 1972.
* St. John the Evangelist Parish School (White Plains) - Operated from 1888 to 2006.
* St. Joseph Parish School (New Rochelle) - Staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis.
* St. Joseph Parish School (Yonkers) - Closed in 1992.
* St. Mary of the Assumption Parish School (Katonah) - Closed in 1993.
* St. Matthew Parish School (Hastings-on-Hudson) - Operated from 1889 to 2005; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Peace.
* St. Patrick Parish School (Verplanck) - Operated from 1891 to 1991; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Peace.
* St. Pius X Parish School (Scarsdale) - Operated from 1956 to 2005.
* St. Teresa of Avila Parish School (Sleepy Hollow) - Operated from 1885 to 1993; staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Peace (1885-1984).
* St. Thomas Parish School (Pleasantville)
* St. Vito Parish School (Mamaroneck) - Operated from 1960 to 1986; staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill.


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.