- Make-up artist
A Makeup Artist is an artist whose medium is the human body, applying makeup and prosthetics for theatrical, television, film, fashion, magazines and other similar productions including all aspects of the modeling industry. Awards given for this profession in the entertainment industry include the Academy Award for Makeup and even several entertainment industry awards such as the Emmy awards and the Golden Globes to name a few. In the United States as well as the other parts of the globe, professional licenses are required by agencies in order for them to hire the MUA. Bigger production companies have in-house makeup artists on their payroll although most MUA’s generally are freelance and their times remain flexible depending on the projects.The use of digital cameras may have made the use of bridal make up more popular.
- Fashion Makeup
- Fashion makeup is used in magazine photography as well as on the fashion runway. Avant Garde Makeup is also an applicable technique used for projects that require experimental themes. Fashion makeup is also commonly used in television and film ranging for the natural prime look to more sophisticated applications such as color balance.
- Theatrical Makeup
- Stage makeup is used as a method in conjunction with stage lighting to highlight the actors' faces in order make expressions visible to the audience from moderate distances. This often includes defining the eyes and lips as well as the highlights and lowlights of the facial bones.
- Special Effects Makeup (FX Makeup)
- The use of special effects techniques enhancing physical features to exhibit metaphysical characteristics as well as fantasy makeup. The use of prosthetics and plaster casting are also required for projects that entails non-human appearances. Accents such as theatrical blood and ooze are also techniques applicable to this type of makeup.
- The use of an airbrush which is a small air-operated device that sprays various media including alcohol and water-based makeup by a process of nebulization. The earliest record of this type of cosmetic application dates back to the 1925 film version of Ben-Hur, it has recently been re-popularized by the advent of HDTV and Digital Photography, wh the camera focuses on higher depths of detail. Liquid Foundations that are high in coverage but thin in texture are applied with the airbrush for full coverage without a heavy build-up of product.
- Bridal Makeup
- Bridal Makeup is a new segment in a makeup artist's repertoire. From ethnic, to glamorous to contemporary, makeup artists are now an important part of wedding planning; in Asia, Europe and North America.
- High Definition
- This is an art which involves the use of light reflectors and ingredients such as minerals to give the skin a flawless finish. This was developed due to the further development of High Definition mediums and the cost implications of airbrush makeup.
Notable make-up artists
- LaVey Ortiz, Celebrity Makeup artist in Las Vegas
- Ellis Faas
- Funmi Moriah Odegbami
- Iman Mohamed Abdulmajid
- Mariquita Samper, Macy's makeup artist, featured in the Latino literary classic "Empire of Dreams" by Giannina Braschi
- ^ "82nd Academy Awards® Oscar® Nominees for Make-up". Makeup Mag. http://makeupmag.com/featured/id/685/. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ "Emmy® Awards Nominations Announced". Makeup Mag. http://www.makeupmag.com/featured/id/294/. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ "61st Emmy for Makeup Nominees". Fox News Idaho. http://www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=10737430. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ "67th Golden Globe Awards Tina Fey Make Up Break Down". pursebuzz. http://www.pursebuzz.com/2010/01/67th-golden-globe-awards-tina-fay-make-up-break-down/. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ "Revisiting the 2009 Make-up Oscar® Contenders". Makeup Mag. http://makeupmag.com/search_results.php?keywords=studios&x=1&y=1. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ "Get paid to apply Makeup". Fab Job. http://www.fabjob.com/makeupartist.asp. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ "The art of make up". Erica Storm. http://www.stormmakeup.com/make_up_avantgarde.html. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ "AIRBRUSH FOUNDATION MAKE-UP". Airbrush Body Art. http://www.airbrushbodyart.com.au/foundation_make-up.htm. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ "Top High Definition Makeup". Makeup.com. http://makeup.about.com/od/topsplurg8/tp/Top-High-Definition-Makeup.htm. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ Elsworth, Catherine (2005-12-03). "Are they ready for a high-definition close-up?". Telegraph.co.uk. Telegraph Media Group Limited. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/12/03/wtv03.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/12/03/ixworld.html. Retrieved 2007-10-15.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
make-out artist — n. a seducer; a lecher, usually a male. (See also lady killer.) □ The guy thinks he’s a make out artist, but the women all think he’s a nerd. □ He might have been a make out artist in his youth, but I doubt it … Dictionary of American slang and colloquial expressions
make-up artist — n. artist who does makeup for movies or theatrical productions … English contemporary dictionary
make-out artist — n American a successful seducer, stud. The term is invariably applied to males. It is from the verb make out, meaning to achieve sex ual satisfaction or success … Contemporary slang
make-up artist — /ˈmeɪk ʌp atəst/ (say mayk up ahtuhst) noun a person whose job it is to apply the make up of actors, presenters, etc., in film, theatre, television, etc … Australian English dictionary
make-up artist — noun A person who creates makeup and prosthetics for theatrical, television, film, fashion, magazines and similar productions … Wiktionary
Jack Pierce (make-up artist) — Infobox actor bgcolour = name = Jack Pierce imagesize = (145 × 236 pixel, file size: 21 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg) caption = Jack Pierce working on Boris Karloff birth date = May 5, 1889 birth place = Greece death date = July 19, 1968 death place … Wikipedia
Dick Smith (make-up artist) — This article is about the make up artist. For other uses, see Dick Smith (disambiguation). Dick Smith Born June 26, 1922 (1922 06 26) (age 89) Larchmont, New York, USA Other names Richard Emerson Smith Occupation … Wikipedia
David Aylott (make-up artist) — David Aylott was a United Kingdom film producer and make up artist. After his movie career, he co founded Eylure of London , a British manufacturer of artificial eyelashes which were sold worldwide. His founding partner was his brother Eric… … Wikipedia
Ken Jennings (make-up artist) — Ken Jennings is a make up artist who has worked for both stage and screen productions.In 1990, Jennings was nominated Best Make Up Artist in the BAFTA Awards for her work on My Left Foot . In 1998, Jennings was nominated for an Outstanding Make… … Wikipedia
National Film Award for Best Make-up Artist — The National Film Award (Silver Lotus Award) Best Make up Artist given for the first time in the year 2008, at 54th National Film Awards . Winners: Year Film Awardees 2011 Moner Manush Vikram Gaikwad 2010 Paa Christein Tinsley and Dominie Till … Wikipedia