Medicine Head Origin Stafford, England Genres Blues rock Years active 1968–1977 Labels Dandelion, Polydor, WWA Past members John Fiddler
The group worked as a duo for most of its career, consisting of
- John Fiddler (born 25 September 1947, Darlaston, Staffordshire, England) - (vocalist, guitarist, pianist, drummer)
- Peter Hope-Evans (born 28 September 1947, Brecon, Powys, Wales) - (harmonica, jew's harp, and mouthbow player).
The group recorded six original albums, the opening trio of which were on 'Dandelion'. That label enjoyed its first UK Singles Chart hit when "(And The) Pictures in the Sky" reached Number 22 in 1971. Despite consistent touring, often as support to acts with larger commercial appeal, Medicine Head failed to place an album on the UK Albums Chart. One of their albums was entitled Dark Side of the Moon (1972) was released the year before the Pink Floyd album of the same name. According to Nicholas Schaffner, Pink Floyd briefly changed the name of their piece (which they were already performing live), to 'Eclipse' in order to avoid confusion. Medicine Head's track, "Only To Do What Is True" appeared on the 1972 compilation, There Is Some Fun Going Forward.
They went through line-up changes with their largely backing personnel, but did achieve a total of four hit singles, the best-known of which are "One and One is One" (Number 3, 1973) and "Rising Sun" (Number 11, 1973). Their later recordings were released on Polydor. Two Man Band was their last album, and Medicine Head finally folded in 1977.
In 2005 Angel Air released the album Don't Stop The Dance. In effect it was a 'lost' album, compiling some singles from an unsuccessful period with the WWA label, and some unreleased sessions with the band as a five piece. In March 2007 Medicine Head's debut album New Bottles, Old Medicine was re-released on CD by Cherry Red Records. In May 2009 Cherry Red also released, One And One Is One - The Very Best Of Medicine Head.
Post break-up careers
Since the band's break-up, both members have continued to work in the music industry. Hope-Evans appeared on many albums, most prominently with Pete Townshend, and Fiddler was a member of British Lions and Box of Frogs. Fiddler has occasionally revived the Medicine Head name, to tour a show of their hits (fellow musicians have included Clive Edwards, Laurence Archer and James Fox) and to release further low-key recordings.
- "(And The) Pictures in the Sky" - Number 22 - 1971
- "One and One is One" - Number 3 - 1973
- "Rising Sun" - Number 11 - 1973
- "Slip and Slide" - Number 22 - 1974
- New Bottles, Old Medicine - 1970
- Heavy on the Drum - 1971
- Dark Side of the Moon - 1972
- One & One is One - 1973
- Thru a Five - 1974
- Medicine Head - 1976
- Two Man Band - 1976
- Don't Stop the Dance - 2005
- John Peel's Record Box
- Harvest Records discography
- List of Peel sessions
- List of performers on Top of the Pops
- List of British blues musicians
- ^ Du Noyer, Paul (2003). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Music (1st ed.). Fulham, London: Flame Tree Publishing. p. 181. ISBN 1-904041-96-5.
- ^ a b c d Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 359. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- ^ a b c "Biography by Jason Ankeny". Allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p19278. Retrieved 21 October 2009.
- ^ 'Dark Side of the Moon MTV.com
- ^ Schaffner, A Saucerful Of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey, 1992, Delta Publishing
- ^ Johnfiddler.com - accessed October 2009
- ^ "Allmusic ((( Medicine Head > Discography > Main Albums )))". http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p19278/discography.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Medicine Head — Жанры блюз рок софт рок Годы 1968 1977 Лейблы … Википедия
Medicine Head — Chartplatzierungen Erklärung der Daten Singles (And the) Pictures in the sky UK 22 26.06.19 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Medicine Rocks State Park — IUCN Category V (Protected Landscape/Seascape) Medicine Rocks State Park … Wikipedia
Head and neck anatomy — focuses on the structures of the head and neck of the human body, including the brain, bones, muscles, blood vessels, nerves, glands, nose, mouth, teeth, tongue, and throat. It is an area frequently studied in depth by surgeons, dentists, dental… … Wikipedia
Medicine Hat Tigers — City Medicine Hat, Alberta … Wikipedia
Medicine Lake Wilderness — IUCN Category Ib (Wilderness Area) … Wikipedia
Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge — IUCN Category IV (Habitat/Species Management Area) … Wikipedia
Medicine Bag — Studio album by Anybody Killa Released October 19, 2010 … Wikipedia
Medicine Hat (federal electoral district) — Medicine Hat Alberta electoral district Medicine Hat in relation to the other Alberta federal e … Wikipedia
Medicine Under Canvas — is a book and a documentary film about the 77th Evacuation Hospital during WWII. The very rare book is 200 pages long and is arguably the most detailed history of an evacuation hospital in the European and North African theatres of war. There… … Wikipedia