- Yana language
: "The article is about a Californian language. For the Chinese city, see
The language perished in 1916 with the death of
Ishi, the last native speaker who spoke Yahi. Yana is fairly well-documented (mostly by Edward Sapir) compared to other extinct American languages.
The names "Yana" and "Yahi" are derived from the Yana words (in two dialects) meaning "people".
There are four known Yanan languages/
: 1. Northern Yana: 2. Central Yana: (a) Southern dialects:: 3. South Yana:: 4. Yahi
Yana is often associated with the hypothetical
Hokanstock. Sapir suggested a grouping of Yana within a "Northern Hokan" sub-family with Karuk, Chimariko, Shastan, Palaihnihan, and Pomoan.
* distinct male and female speech
* Campbell, Lyle. (1997). "American Indian languages: The historical linguistics of Native America". New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-509427-1.
* Goddard, Ives (Ed.). (1996). "Languages". Handbook of North American Indians (W. C. Sturtevant, General Ed.) (Vol. 17). Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution. ISBN 0-16-048774-9.
* Mithun, Marianne. (1999). "The languages of Native North America". Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-23228-7 (hbk); ISBN 0-521-29875-X.
* Sapir, Edward. 1910. "Yana Texts". University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology, vol. 1, no. 9. Berkeley: University Press. ( [http://www.archive.org/details/yanatexts00sapirich Online version] at the
* Sturtevant, William C. (Ed.). (1978-present). "Handbook of North American Indians" (Vol. 1-20). Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution. (Vols. 1-3, 16, 18-20 not yet published).
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Yana people — The Yana people were a group of Native Americans indigenous to Northern California in the central Sierra Nevada Mountains, on the western side of the range. The Yana people comprised four groups: the Northern Yana, the Central Yana, the Southern… … Wikipedia
Yana — Things and people known as Yana include:* Yana Gupta, an Indian model. * Yana (Buddhism), a Buddhist term (path). * Yana River, a river in eastern Russia. * Yana, Sierra Leone, a town in western Africa. * Yana, a part of Kisarazu city, Japan. *… … Wikipedia
Yana Mintoff — is a peace activist, the daughter of Baroness Moyra De Vere Bentinck and the former Prime Minister of Malta, Dom Mintoff.In 1968, at the age of 17, Yana Mintoff, travelled to Czechoslovakia on her own, outraged by the Soviet occupation of that… … Wikipedia
Yana Djin — (born 1969, in Tbilisi, Georgia) is an American poet.She lived in Moscow. In 1980, she emigrated to the United States where she studied philosophy and journalism. Y. Djin writes poetry in English. Her first book of poetry Bits And Pieces of… … Wikipedia
Yaña imlâ — Infobox Writing system name = İske imlâ type = Alphabet typedesc = with some elements of an abjad time = 1920 to 1928 languages = Tatar, experimental usage for the Bashkir fam1 = Arabic alphabet fam2 = Persian alphabet fam3 = Chagatay alphabet… … Wikipedia
Yana — /yah neuh/, n., pl. Yanas, (esp. collectively) Yana for 1. 1. a member of a North American Indian people who once resided in the eastern portion of the upper Sacramento River valley in California. 2. the now extinct Hokan language of the Yana,… … Universalium
Yana Gupta — Infobox actor name = Yana Gupta caption = birthdate = birth date and age|1979|4|23 location = Brno, Czech Republic yearsactive = partner = parents = spouse = Satyakam Gupta (Divorced), Abhay Deol (currently dating) occupation = Actress homepage … Wikipedia
Yana's Friends — Infobox Film name = Yana s Friends caption = director = Arik Kaplun producer = Anat Bikel Moshe Levinson Marek Rozenbaum Uri Sabag writer = Arik Kaplun Simon Vinokur starring = Evelyn Kaplun Nir Levy Shmil Ben Ari Mosko Alkalai Dalia Friedland… … Wikipedia
Yana Toboso — Este artículo o sección sobre anime y manga necesita ser wikificado con un formato acorde a las convenciones de estilo. Por favor, edítalo para que las cumpla. Mientras tanto, no elimines este aviso puesto el 23 de septiembre de 2011. También… … Wikipedia Español
Yana — noun 1. a member of an extinct North American Indian people who lived in northern California • Hypernyms: ↑Hokan, ↑Hoka 2. the Yanan language spoken by the Yana • Hypernyms: ↑Yanan … Useful english dictionary