Natasha Vita-More Occupation Media artist and futurist
Natasha Vita-More (born Nance Clark in Eastchester, New York) is a media artist and designer, with a science background, known for designing "Primo Posthuman."  This future human prototype incorporates biotechnology, robotics, information technology, nanotechnology, cognitive and neuroscience for human enhancement and extreme life extension.
Vita-More is a university lecturer and the Creative Director of H+ Lab  for scientific and artistic design collaborations. Vita-More is currently a Visiting Scholar at Twenty-First Century Medicine, Advisor to the Singularity University, Fellow at the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Humanity+. She is a PhD candidate at the Planetary Collegium, University of Plymouth. Her thesis concerns human enhancement and extreme life extension. She holds a B.F.A., University of Memphis; filmmaker-in-residence, University of Colorado; M.Sc., University of Houston; M.Phil. University of Plymouth.
In 1982, Vita-More authored the Transhuman Statement; produced and hosted cable TV show TransCentury Update on human futures reaching over 100,000 viewers in Los Angeles and Telluride 1985–1992; founded Transhumanist Arts and Culture 1993. She was the Chair of “Vital Progress Summit”  2004, establishing a precedent for proaction of human enhancement (see Proactionary Principle). She was the president of the Extropy Institute 2002-2006. She currently advises non-profit organizations including Center for Responsible Nanotechnology, Adaptive A.I., and LifeBoat Foundation, and Alcor Life Extension Foundation, and has been a consultant to IBM on the future of human performance.
Practice and Theory
In addition to academic works, she has been featured in Wired, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, The New York Times, U.S. News & World Report, Net Business, Telepolis, LA Weekly and Village Voice. She makes frequent media appearances on the future and culture, and has exhibited at National Centre for Contemporary Arts, Brooks Memorial Museum, Institute of Contemporary Art, Women In Video, Telluride Film Festival  and United States Environmental Film Festival  and recently "Evolution Haute Couture: Art and Science in the Post-Biological Age". Vita-More has a bi-monthly column in Nanotechnology Now, is a Guest Editor of The Global Spiral  academic journal and on the Editorial Board of International Journal of Green Nanotechnology. Audio and vido interviews with Vita-More can be found at Technoccult  La Spirale MemeBox Future Blogger Tin Foil  and Wiki Science.
Vita-More has argued that the fundamental issue concerning human efficacy is to improve its condition and survive. Her theory suggests that human nature is built on the premise of problem solving through innovative methods of design. Such theory employs Conceptual Art at its core and includes, but is not limited to, biotechnology, robotics, information technology, nanotechnology, neuroscience and cognitive science, artificial general intelligence ("BRINC"). Primo Posthuman combines bioart and “BRNIC” in reaching past limitations of bioart toward the central issue of extending life well past the Hayflick theory. Arguing for instinctive need and desire to overcome odds such as disease, the original future human body/brain design “Primo Posthuman” is both a media design and a theoretical concept. Her “Primo Guide” gives a brief illustrated introduction.
Human Enhancement Rights
On the surface, Vita-More’s theoretical approach to human enhancement can be understood from evolutionary biology of natural selection; however, it is the human who is making the selection through critical thinking of the pros and cons of human enhancement technologies. Vita-More argues that morphological freedom is the bargaining chip rather than human enhancement being based on an economic hierarchy of those who have power (elitism) and those who do not (poverty).
"Bone Density" in Evolution Haute Couture, art and science in the post-biological age, Bulatov, Dmitry (Ed) Kaliningrade: KB NCCA pp. 64–65.
"Transhuman Statement" in ARTISTS' MANIFESTOS, New York: Penguin Modern Classics.
"The Aesthetics of Transhumanism" in TIF English Journal. Institute of Media Arts, Yonsei University.
"Human Enhancement to the Extreme: a New Role for Art and Its Media" in INSIDE [arte e siencia] Editoria LxK Pub. Impressao Europress, pp 312–217.
"Human Enhancement Aesthetics" in D'ARS, N. 198, Italy, Giugno, pp. 35–37.
“Bringing Art/Science and Design Into the Discussion of Transhumanism”. The Global Spiral, Winter Special Issues.
“The Mediated Technological Singularity: Human Use as a Passport to Technological Innovation”, in New Realities: Being Syncretic. Wein, New York: Springer. pp. 306–309.
"Nano’s Neo Normal” in Nanotechnology Now. Sep 19. http://www.nanotech-now.com/columns/?article=355.
“Nano-Bio-Info-Cogno Skin” in Nanotechnology Now. Jan 19. http://www.nanotech-now.com/columns/?article=268.
"Designing Human 2.0 — Regenerative Existence". Volume 3, Pub. Routledge.
“La Guerra del diseno: Humanish vs. Postbiologico – una Practica del Juego con Posibles Efectos en la Humanidad" in Homo Ludens Ludens. Gijon, Spain: Laboral, pp 172–179.
“Nanomechatronics Nanosystem and Mitochondria Symbiosis” in Nanotechnology Now. Sept, 23. http://www.nanotech-now.com/columns/?article=236
“Putting Criticism Forward” in Nanotechnology Now. April 10. http://www.nanotech-now.com/columns/?article=187
“Nanofactory or AGI — Which technology could cure humanity's many problems”? in Nanotechnology Now. Jan 24. http://www.nanotech-now.com/columns/?article=164 2007
“Posthuman - Putting Transhumanist Perspective into Contrasting Theories” in Nanotechnology Now. Aug 2. http://www.nanotech-now.com/columns/?article=090
"Brave BioArt 2: Shedding the Bio, Amassing the Nano, and Cultivating Posthuman Life." in Technoetic Arts: A Journal of Speculative Research. Volume 5.3, pp. 71–86, London: Intellect, Inc.
"Strategic Sustainable Brain". Nanotechnology Perceptions: A Review of Ultraprecision Engineering and Nanotechnology, Volume 2, No. 1, March 27. Collegium Basilea, Pub. Institute of Advanced Study, Basel, Switzerland.
"The Perfecting of Man" in AnOtherMan, Issue 3, Autumn/Winter.
"Wisdom [Meta-Knowledge] through AGI / Neural Macrosensing". Consciousness Reframed 2006 Conference Paper. http://www.natasha.cc/consciousnessreframed.htm.
“Global Design” 1st Annual Workshop on Geoethical Nanotechnology, Terasem: Vermont.
“Sustainable Futures,” Death And Anti-Death: Fifty Years After Einstein, One Hundred Fifty Years After Kierkegaard. Charles Tandy (ed), Volume 3. Palo Alto, California: Ria University Press.
“The New [human] Genre — Primo Posthuman” at Ciber@RT Conference, Bilbao, Spain April, 2004. http://www.natasha.cc/paper.htm
- ^ http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0405.html
- ^ Baard, Erik (2006). Cyborg Liberation Front. http://www.villagevoice.com/2003-07-29/news/cyborg-liberation-front/2. Retrieved 2009-01-17.
- ^ a b Wilson, Cintra (21 October 2007). "Droid Rage". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/style/tmagazine/21droid.html?_r=1&ref=tmagazine&oref=slogin. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- ^ a b Natasha Vita-More (2008-06-25). "Transhumanism & Transhumanist Arts for the Future!". Transhumanist.biz. http://www.transhumanist.biz. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Extropy Institute Contact". Extropy.org. http://www.extropy.org/summitkeynotes.htm. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Memphis Brooks Museum". Brooksmuseum.org. http://www.brooksmuseum.org/. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "WIFV". WIFV. 2010-10-13. http://www.wifv.org/. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Telluride Film Festival". Telluride Film Festival. http://telluridefilmfestival.org/. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Environmental Film Festival". Dcenvironmentalfilmfest.org. 2010-03-28. http://www.dcenvironmentalfilmfest.org/films.php?FilmID=280. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Evolution Haute Couture: Art and science in the post-biological age — on exhibit in Kaliningrad from today". Corporeality.net. 2008-08-08. http://www.corporeality.net/museion/2008/08/08/evolution-haute-couture-art-and-science-in-the-post-biological-age-on-exhibit-in-kaliningrad-from-today/. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Nanotechnology Now - Nanotechnology Columns". Nanotech-now.com. http://www.nanotech-now.com/columns/. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Global Spiral :: Home". Metanexus.net. http://www.metanexus.net/magazine/. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Journals: Welcome". Tandf.co.uk. http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/19430892.asp. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Natasha Vita-More on NeoFiles". Technoccult.com. 2006-05-03. http://www.technoccult.com/archives/2006/05/03/natasha-vita-more-on-neofiles/. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Natasha Vita-More Interview LaSpirale". Natasha.cc. http://www.natasha.cc/laspirale.htm. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ Golden, Garry. "Natasha Vita-More: Transhumanism on the Rise". Memebox.com. http://www.memebox.com/futureblogger/show/98. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ http://www.tinfoilmusic.net/artists-at-edge/1637-20-questions-with-natasha-vita-more-part-2
- ^ "Scenario: Natasha Vita More - Future". Future.wikia.com. 2010-10-25. http://future.wikia.com/wiki/Scenario:_Natasha_Vita_More. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- ^ "Primo Guide". natasha.cc. 2005. http://www.natasha.cc/primoguide.htm. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Natasha Vita-More — (Febrero de 1950 como Nancie Clark) es una artista y futurista estadounidense. Vita More, que realiza su tesis doctoral en Planetary Collegium, está titulada en prospectiva y en multimedia. En 1982, escribió el Manifiesto transhumano y la… … Wikipedia Español
Max More — at the 2006 Stanford Singularity Summit. Max More (born January 1964) is a philosopher and futurist who writes, speaks, and consults on advanced decision making about emerging technologies. … Wikipedia
Transhumanist art — is a term used for the art movement which reflects the time frame of transhumanity, the transitional stage from human to transhuman to posthuman. Transhumanist Art questions the role of the artist over the late 20th century, the era of modern art … Wikipedia
Transhuman — is a term that refers to an evolutionary transition from the human to the posthuman.cite book | author=FM 2030 | title=Are You a Transhuman?: Monitoring and Stimulating Your Personal Rate of Growth in a Rapidly Changing World | publisher=Viking… … Wikipedia
Transhumanism — This article is about the futurist ideology and movement. For the critique of humanism, see posthumanism … Wikipedia
Transhumain — Transhumanisme ██████████ … Wikipédia en Français
Transhumaniste — Transhumanisme ██████████ … Wikipédia en Français
Transhumanismo — La evolución según el transhumanismo. El Transhumanismo es tanto un concepto filosófico como un movimiento intelectual internacional que apoya el empleo de … Wikipedia Español
Transhumanisme — H+, un symbole du transhumanisme Le transhumanisme est un mouvement culturel et intellectuel international prônant l usage des sciences et des techniques afin d améliorer les caractéristiques physiques et mentales des êtres humains. Le… … Wikipédia en Français
BioArt — is an art practice in which the medium is living matter and the works of art are produced in laboratories and/or artists’ studios. The tool is biotechnology, which includes such technologies as genetic engineering, tissue culture and cloning.… … Wikipedia