- National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology Established 2001 President Tamotsu Nomakuchi Admin. staff 3200 Location Coordinates: Campus Tsukuba, Tokyo, Kyūshū, Chūgoku, Shikoku, Kansai, Chūbu, Tōhoku, Hokkaidō Former names Agency of Industrial Science and Technology Website www.aist.go.jp
The National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (産業技術総合研究所 Sangyō Gijutsu Sōgō Kenkyū-jo ), or AIST, is a Japanese research facility headquartered in Tokyo, and most of the workforce is located in Tsukuba Science City, Ibaraki, and in several cities throughout Japan. The institute is managed to integrate scientific and engineering knowledge to address socio-economic needs. It became a newly designed legal body of independent administrative institution in 2001, remaining under the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.
Three missions of AIST
- Advanced Research by exploring broad spectra of research fields and integrating multidisciplinary subjects to promote innovation in versatile fields that strengthen the competitiveness of Japanese industries in the world market and create new industries.
- Interdisciplinary and Cross-Disciplinary Research that enables planning long-range governmental policies by exploiting the current and future needs of society.
- Basic Research that maintains and strengthens competitiveness of national science and technology by developing and maintaining high standards of scientific and engineering research under the sole responsibility of AIST.
Type-I and Type-II basic researches
The institute attempts to use and integrate scientific and engineering knowledge that is fragmented into various disciplines to address versatile and highly complex socio-economic needs that change rapidly with time.
AIST defines such research as Type-II Basic Research, which integrates multiple disciplines and creates methods for the use of integrated knowledge; traditional basic research is defined as Type-I Basic Research, which is the pursuit and discovery of novel rules, laws and principles that govern natural phenomena.
AIST places its highest priority on the pursuit of complete research, "Full Research", ranging from Type-I Basic Research to the development of products by conducting intensive Type-II Basic Research.
Each Unit of AIST places its highest priorities on establishing an integrated research system that enables researchers with different scientific backgrounds to participate in scenario-oriented research projects to address the needs of society.
The institute employs researchers of various backgrounds and levels of expertise who carry out research with respect to the three main mission of the institute. The number of employees are as follows:
- Researchers: 2,508
- Tenured researchers: 1,995
- Fixed-term researchers: 513
- Administrative staffs: 717
- Total number of employees: 3,225 (as of April 1, 2005)
- Hiroyuki Yoshikawa, former President of AIST, University of Tokyo (1993–1997), Science Council of Japan (1997–2003) and International Council for Science (1999–2002)
- Jun Kondo, a famous researcher for the Kondo effect
- Sumio Iijima, the discoverer of the Carbon nanotube
- Yoshinori Tokura, famous for nanotechnology experiments
- Hiromichi Kataura, well known for his research in carbon nanotubes and for the Kataura plot
- HRP-2 Promet, a domestic general helper robot (under development) in joint Humanoid Robotics Project with Kawada Industries
- HRP-4C, a female humanoid robot
- Paro, a baby harp seal robot for therapeutic use
- Humanoid Robotics Project
- Independent Administrative Institution (IAI)
- List of Independent Administrative Institutions (Japan)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Science and technology in the People's Republic of China — has been growing rapidly. As China develops and becomes more connected to the global economy, the government has placed a stronger emphasis on science and technology as an integral part of the socio economic development of the country. This has… … Wikipedia
Science and technology in Iran — Science and technology in Iran, formerly known as Persia, have a history, like the country itself. Persia was a cradle of science in earlier times. Persian scientists contributed to the current understanding of nature, medicine, mathematics, and… … Wikipedia
Science and technology in the United States — The United States came into being around the Age of Enlightenment (circa 1680 to 1800), a period in which writers and thinkers rejected the superstitions of the past. Instead, they emphasized the powers of reason and unbiased inquiry, especially… … Wikipedia
Korea Institute of Science and Technology — The Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) is a multi disciplinary research institute located in Seoul, South Korea. Founded in 1966, it was the first multi disciplinary scientific research institute in Korea and has contributed… … Wikipedia
China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation — Type State owned Founded 1999 Headquarters Beijing, China The China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (中國航天科技集團公司)(CASC) is the main c … Wikipedia
History of science and technology in the People's Republic of China — For more than a century China s leaders have called for rapid development of science and technology, and science policy has played a greater role in national politics in China than in many other countries. China s scientific and technical… … Wikipedia
Cochin University of Science and Technology — CUSAT redirects here. For other uses, see CUSAT (disambiguation). Cochin University of Science and Technology കൊച്ചിന് യൂനിവേഴ്സിറ്റി ഓഫ് സയന്സ് ആന്റ് ടെക്നോളജി Motto May learning illuminate us both, the teacher and the taught … Wikipedia
University of Science and Technology of China — 中国科学技术大学 Motto 红专并进，理实交融 Established 1958 Type … Wikipedia
Department of Science and Technology (Philippines) — Department of Science and Technology Kagawaran ng Agham at Teknolohiya Department overview Formed January 30, 1987 Headquarters … Wikipedia
Norwegian University of Science and Technology — Norges teknisk naturvitenskapelige universitet Established 1996 (1910, 1760) Type Public university … Wikipedia