Now ... Us!
Now ... Us! Studio album by No Angels Released June 24, 2002 Recorded 2002 Genre Pop, europop Length 47:18 (original)
Label Cheyenne/Polydor Producer Tim Brettschneider, Thorsten Brötzmann, Fahrenheit & Kelvin, Leslie Mandoki, Mousse T., Nick Nice, Peter Ries, Royal Garden Sound, Pontus Söderqvist, Sandi S., Syndicate, Daniel Troha No Angels chronology Elle'ments
Now ... Us!
When the Angels Swing
Singles from Now ... Us! Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating CDStarts  laut.de 
Now ... Us! is the second studio album by German pop group No Angels, released by Polydor subsidiary Cheyenne Records on June 24, 2002 (see 2002 in music) in German speaking Europe. It was primarily produced by Thorsten Brötzmann, with additional production from Peter Ries, Pontus Söderqvist, Fahrenheit & Kelvin, Leslie Mandoki, Mousse T., and band member Lucy Diakovska among others.
The album received a mixed reception from professional music critics, but was generally praised for the inclusion of more personal content that appeared in form of five self-penned solo songs on Now ... Us!. Upon its release, the album opened on top of the German Media Control albums chart, and at number 2 and 4 on the Austrian and Swiss albums chart respectively. It ranked twelfth on the year-end charts in Germany.
Now ... Us! spawned three singles, including the band's third non-consecutive number-one "Something About Us", summer-lite "Still in Love with You" and funk-unfluenced "Let's Go to Bed." A fourth single, the Alison Moyet cover "All Cried Out," was included on a Special Winter Edition of the album, released on November 18, 2002.
Writing and recording process
After a short break from public at the turn of the year 2001 the No Angels members reunited in February 2002 to begin working on their second album in Munich and Hamburg. Asked to contribute own ideas and skills to guarantee a more personal album after fast-recorded debut Elle'ments (2001), each member of the group focused on writing lyrics and melodies on her own - assisted by a wide range of different musicians and songwriters, including Thorsten Brötzmann, Alexander Geringas, Nik Hafemann, Thomas Anders and Christian Geller. In the end five self-written songs made it to the final tracklist, four of them lead sung by a different member, and Vanessa Petruo-penned "Something about Us" emerging as the album's lead single. While another eleven songs were included on the album, primarily produced by Peter Ries, Mousse T, and Leslie Mandoki, Now ... Us! was eventually named as a reference to the band's own musical input into the album.
The album cut "2 Get Over U" was originally recorded as a duet with UK popstars Hear'Say, and was scheduled to be released as a special Christmas single in December 2001. However, due to Hear'Say's limited fame in Germany (their debut single "Pure and Simple" peaked at number 83 only) Polydor and Cheyenne Records decided to exclude the band's vocals from the song and moved it back to a spring 2002 launch. Although the No Angels premiered the song on the The Dome 21 in Stuttgart on March 1, 2003 and a release date was set on March 18, 2002, "2 Get Over You" was eventually shelved as the lead single from Now ... Us! - in favour of self-written "Something about Us" and its b-side "Like Ice in the Sunshine."
Release and reception
Media reception for Now ... Us! was generally mixed. Although most professional reviewers praised the band for the include of self-written material and a "less conventional" and more mature pop sound with "major influences of contemporary R&B and soul," laut.de declared the album as "teen-pop" on "average level." Matthias Eisen from CDStarts cited the album "dissembling ... cheesy and cliched", sharply criticizing the cover songs on Now ... Us!. However, the No Angels' second album became a major success: It debuted on top of the German albums chart, and at number 2 and 4 on the Austrian and Swiss albums chart respectively. Now ... Us! ranked twelfth on the German Media Control year-end charts.
Although "2 Get Over U" was still considered to be released as a single at times, Now ... Us! spawned three singles only: The album's lead single, "Something about Us"/"Like Ice in the Sunshine", became the band's third non-consecutive number-one hit on the German and Austrian Singles Chart within a period of sixteen month, but failed to enter the Siwss top ten with a peak position of 11. The second single, "Still in Love with You", reached the top 5 in Germany and Austria, and became the band's first top ten hit since 2001's "When the Angels Sing/Atlantis". By contrast, the single edit of "Let's Go to Bed" ended the run of the No Angels' consecutive top 10 songs in Germany, and charted outside the Swiss 100. A previously unreleased fourth single, "All Cried Out" was included on a November 2002 released Special Winter Edition of the album.
No. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length 1. "Anchor Your Love" Oliver Dommaschk, Marco Quast, Kaidy-Ann Morgan Royal Garden Sound 3:38 2. "Something About Us" Vanessa Petruo, Thorsten Brötzmann, Alexander Geringas Thorsten Brötzmann 3:26 3. "Still in Love with You" Figge Boström, Johan Lindman Nick Nice, Pontus Söderqvist 3:31 4. "Push Me to the Limit" 3:23 5. "Say Goodbye" Sandy Mölling, Celitia Martin, Velroy Baily, Ian Pitter Peter Ries 3:37 6. "Like Ice in the Sunshine" Holger Julian Copp, Hanno Harders N-Dee, Frank Lio, Donald Fact 2:57 7. "Lovestory" Reed Vertenley, Anders Bagge, Per Åström Thorsten Brötzmann 3:35 8. "Shield Against My Sorrow" Jessica Wahls, Nik Hafemann, Leslie Mándoki, Lazlo Bencker Leslie Mándoki 3:29 9. "Autumn Breeze" D. Dowlut Nick Nice, Pontus Söderqvist 3:32 10. "Now That We Found Love" Ulrich Wehner, Thorsten Brötzmann Thorsten Brötzmann 3:34 11. "Stay" Lucy Diakovska, Christian Geller Oliver Fahrenheit, Christian Kelvin 4:09 12. "Let's Go to Bed" Mousse T., Errol Rennalls Mousse T. 3:32 13. "2 Get Over You" Sandi S., Tim Brettschneider, Alan Glass 3:24 14. "Lost in You" Sandi S., Tim Brettschneider, Alan Glass Frank Hellum, Ronny Wikmark 3:28 15. "Come Back" Nadja Benaissa, Daniel Troha, Cal Abate Daniel Troha 4:02 16. "Atlantis 2002" (with Donovan) Donovan Leitch, Leslie Mándoki, Laszlo Bencker Leslie Mándoki 4:01
- Special Winter Edition
No. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length 1. "All Cried Out" (pop version) Steve Jolley, Alison Moyet, Tony Swain Perky Park 3:38 2. "Still in Love with You" (single version) Figge Boström, Johan Lindman Nick Nice, Pontus Söderqvist 3:31 3. "Something About Us" (latin radio edit) Vanessa Petruo, Thorsten Brötzmann, Alexander Geringas Thorsten Brötzmann 3:26 4. "Three Words" Andreas Romdhane, Josef Larossi Peter Ries 3:48 5. "Let's Go to Bed" (single edit) Mousse T., Errol Rennalls Mousse T. 3:32 6. "Say Goodbye" Sandy Mölling, Celitia Martin, Velroy Baily, Ian Pitter Peter Ries 3:37 7. "Lovestory" Reed Vertenley, Anders Bagge, Per Åström Thorsten Brötzmann 3:35 8. "Stay" Lucy Diakovska, Christian Geller Oliver Fahrenheit, Christian Kelvin 4:09 9. "Autumn Breeze" D. Dowlut Nick Nice, Pontus Söderqvist 3:32 10. "2 Get Over You" Sandi S., Tim Brettschneider, Alan Glass 3:24 11. "Shield Against My Sorrow" Jessica Wahls, Nik Hafemann, Leslie Mándoki, Lazlo Bencker Leslie Mándoki 3:29 12. "Anchor Your Love" Oliver Dommaschk, Marco Quast, Kaidy-Ann Morgan Royal Garden Sound 3:38 13. "Now That We Found Love" Ulrich Wehner, Thorsten Brötzmann Thorsten Brötzmann 3:34 14. "Like Ice in the Sunshine" Holger Julian Copp, Hanno Harders N-Dee, Frank Lio, Donald Fact 2:57 15. "Come Back" Nadja Benaissa, Daniel Troha, Cal Abate Daniel Troha 4:02 16. "Daylight in Your Eyes" (big band version) Tony Bruno, Tommy Byrne Till Brönner 3:44
Credits and personnel
- Vocal assistance: James Caldwell, Linda Freeland, Inez Haynes, Franca Morgano, Daniel Troha
- Engineers: Felix Knöchel, Spok, Mike Streefkerk, Stephan Zeh
- Mixing: Peter Boström, Jeo, Pit Floss, Nike Nice, Mike Streefkerk, Stephan Zeh
- Artwork: Ronald Rensberg, Berlin
- Photography: Benjamin Wolf, Sven Jacobsen
- "Three Words" (written by Peter Ries) (appears as a b-side on the "Still in Love with You" single) 
- "Since I Found You" (written by Vanessa Petruo, Thorsten Brötzmann, Alexander Geringas) (appeared on the Four Seasons Tour setlist) 
Chart (2002) Peak
Austrian Top 50 2 European Top 100 Albums 7 German Albums Chart 1 Hungary Top 40 65 Swiss Albums Chart 4
Region Certification Austria (IFPI Austria) Gold Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland) Gold
- ^ CDStarts review
- ^ laut.de review
- ^ Review of Now... Us!. LAUT.de. Retrieved on 2007-02-15.
- ^ "Album-Charts des Jahres 2002" (in German). FOCUS Online. http://www.focus.de/D/DF/DFM/DFM01/DFM01A/DFM01AC/dfm01ac.htm?musik=album. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- ^ a b c d "Now... Us!". Austriancharts. http://www.austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=No+Angels&titel=Now+%2E%2E%2E+Us&cat=a. Retrieved 2007-06-01.
- ^ a b "Duett der «Popstars»". Netzeitung. http://www.netzeitung.de/entertainment/people/157024.html. Retrieved 2007-04-04.
- ^ "Hear'Say Ditch X'Mas Duet". MTV Asia News. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. http://web.archive.org/web/20070929083416/http://www.mtvasia.com/News/200111/06006338.html. Retrieved 2007-04-04.
- ^ a b "Now... Us! review". Brainstorms. http://www.brainstorms42.de/artikel/no-angels.html. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- ^ "Now... Us! review". CDStarts. http://www.cdstarts.de/kritiken/No%20Angels%20-%20Now...%20Us!.html. Retrieved 2007-02-15. [dead link]
- ^ "Jahrescharts 2002". MTV.de. http://mtv.de/albumtop50/jahrescharts02.php. Retrieved 2007-10-07. [dead link]
- ^ "Three Words". Swisscharts. http://swisscharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=No+Angels&titel=Three+Words&cat=s. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- ^ "Since I Found You". GEMA Search. https://mgonline.gema.de/werke/detail.do?title=SINCE+I+FOUND+YOU&dbkey=2774764. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- ^ a b "No Angels - Now... Us! - austriancharts.at". austriancharts.at. http://austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=No+Angels&titel=Now%2E%2E%2E+Us%21&cat=a. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- ^ "Oasis Has The Right Chemistry At No. 1". Billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/search/google/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1536586. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- ^ "Austrian album certifications – No Angels – Now ... Us!" (in German). IFPI Austria. http://www.ifpi.at/?section=goldplatin. Enter No Angels in the field Interpret. Enter Now ... Us! in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- ^ "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards ('No Angels')". Hung Medien. http://www.swisscharts.com/search_certifications.asp?search=No+Angels.
- NoAngels-Music.de — official site (German)
Studio albums Live albums Compilation albums Singles"Daylight in Your Eyes" · "Rivers of Joy" · "There Must Be an Angel" · "When the Angels Sing"/"Atlantis" · "Something About Us" · "Still in Love with You" · "Let's Go to Bed" · "All Cried Out" · "No Angel (It's All in Your Mind)" · "Someday" · "Feelgood Lies" · "Reason" · "Goodbye to Yesterday" · "Maybe" · "Amaze Me"/"Teardrops" · "Disappear" · "One Life" Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.