sportof cricket, the approach is the motion of the bowler prior to bowling the ball. It is also known as the run-up.
A spinner's approach differs from that of a medium pace or fast bowler, but certain principles remain the same:
* Balance: lack of balance in the approach translates into lack of balance in the later stages of the action and so absence of accuracy.
* Consistency: a consistent approach allows the later phases of the bowling action to be consistent. Moreover, inconsistency is likely to lead to bowling no-balls.
* Head still and upright.
The strides of the bound,
back foot contact, front foot contactand the first stride of the follow through should all be in line in order to give a balanced action that flows towards the target. Medium pace and quick bowlers usually employ a straight approach that is aligned toward the target. Spin bowlers, on the other hand, tend to have more varied approaches.
Other recommended elements of the approach are:
* Starting with shorter strides then lengthening to cruise in to the bound.
* Leaning slightly forward, running on the balls of the feet.
* Running with the hands pumping, tucked into the side. This tucked in run up is intended to set the pattern for the whole delivery, keeping everything in a tight corridor flowing towards the target. Some bowlers choose to sacrifice this in order to cover the ball with the non-bowling hand in order to disguise the grip.
* Long enough to hit the desired cruise speed and arrive balanced at the bound. Some bowlers, especially chest on bowlers tend to run through the crease. This adds the speed of the approach to the speed at which the ball is released. In contrast, side on bowlers tend to be more similar to javelin throwers. The lower part of their body brakes between front foot contact and point of release causing a whip like effect. Hence side on bowlers tend to have slower approaches.
* [http://coachesinfo.com/category/cricket/44/ Biomechanics and the art of bowling]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cricket in Australia — Governing body Cricket Australia National team Australia First played before 1804, Sydney, New South Wales Registered players 850,155 Competitions National … Wikipedia
Cricket Rating Systems — Cricket is a bat and ball sport that probably originated in England more than 300 years ago. It is a game that lends itself to statistical analysis and cricket fans have used these statistics to argue the merits of individual players and teams… … Wikipedia
Cricket Association of Nepal — CAN Sport Cricket Formation date … Wikipedia
Cricket — A bowler bowling to a batsman. The paler strip is the cricket pitch. The two sets of three wooden stumps on the pitch are the wickets. The two … Wikipedia
Glossary of cricket terms — Cricket is a team sport played between two teams of eleven. It is known for its rich terminology. Some terms are often thought to be arcane and humorous by those not familiar with the game. This is a general glossary of the… … Wikipedia
List of cricket terms — Cricket is a team sport played between two teams of eleven. It is known for its rich terminology. [http://content usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/239756.html A glossary of cricket terms ] from CricInfo retrieved May 13 2008]… … Wikipedia
Comparison of cricket and baseball — Cricket and baseball are the best known members of a family of related bat and ball games. While many of their rules, terminology, and strategies are similar, there are many differences some subtle, some major between the two games. Other present … Wikipedia
Donald Bradman with the Australian cricket team in England in 1948 — Sir Donald Bradman Personal information Full name Sir Donald George Bradman Nickname The Don, The Boy from Bowral, Braddles Born 27 August 1908 … Wikipedia
Variations in first-class cricket statistics — This article seeks to explain the key differences in alternative versions of English first class cricket statistics.The concept of first class cricket originated in May 1894 at a meeting of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) committee and the… … Wikipedia
English cricket team in Sri Lanka in 2007-08 — Infobox Cricket series begin series name = England cricket team in Sri Lanka in 2007 ndash;08 team1 team1 name = England team2 | team2 name = Sri Lanka from date = 28 September to date = 22 December 2007 team1 captain = Michael Vaughan | (Test),… … Wikipedia