- Philippine Science High School Main Campus
The Philippine Science High School Main Campus in Diliman, Quezon City is the original campus of the
Philippine Science High SchoolSystem, a special public high school that caters to scientifically- and mathematically-gifted high school students from all over the Philippines. It is located in Agham Road, Diliman, Quezon City, beside the Office of the Ombudsman.
The campus has 4 dormitories, 2 for boys and 2 for girls.
Boys' Residence Hall - Main (BRHM) - mostly junior and senior male students
Boys' Residence Hall - Annex (BRHA) - freshmen and sophomore male students
Girls' Residence Hall - Main (GRHM) - mostly junior and senior female students
Girls' Residence Hall - Annex (GRHA) - freshmen and sophomore female students
Football Field and Grandstand
The top 240 students of the Second Screening (Math and Science Aptitude Test/MSAT) have slots already in the Main Campus, the top campus. In case a student doesn't want to enter the school, or wants to transfer to another campus, students from the waiting list are called up to be enrolled in the Main Campus in order to complete the 240 slots alloted by the system. They are then divided into 8 sections with 30 students or less in each section. After the first year of the batch, slots emptied by dismissed students are then filled up by new students who were qualified by a placement exam given to students who belong in the top percentage of their batch in another school. Afterwards, the remaining students are the only ones left who can graduate at the Main Campus.
Students from the Main Campus may transfer to other campuses. Students from the regional campuses may apply for transfer to the Main Campus. However, they must meet a grade requirement.
The Main Campus has around 30 students in each class, with 8 classes per batch, in a total of about 240 students in each year level. The names of the sections in each year level are in accordance to a theme based on the major subject offered in that particular year level.
Starting from Batch 2009, streaming was abolished. Instead of having 90 students taking technology electives during the second year, based on the student's first year performance and desired stream, every student has a fair chance of experiencing both the science and technology stream.
ciences and Engineering
* Irene Reyes-Santos, M.D.: pediatrician and child TB expert
* Luis Tupas, Ph.D. (Batch 1979): National Program Leader for Global Change and Climate for the Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service of the US Department of Agriculture.
* Rosalia Mercado-Simmen, Ph.D. (Batch 1969): one of the world’s leading researchers in the biology of reproduction, having been published and recognized widely for her work on reproduction, endocrinology, physiology, and biophysics
* Jessamyn Yazon, Ph. D.: Former OIC-Director, Philippine Science High School Main Campus
* Reynaldo Vea, Ph. D. (Batch 1969): President,
Mapua Institute of Technologyand former Dean University of the PhilippinesCollege of Engineering; elected Academician by the National Academy of Science and Technology in 2001
* Victoria Espaldon, Ph.D.: Dean, University of the Philippines Los Baños, School of Environmental Science and Management
* Zosimo Lee, Ph. D.: Dean,
University of the PhilippinesCollege of Social Sciences and Philosophy
Politics, Law, and Governance
* Cielito Habito (Batch 1970): Former Director General of the National Economic and Development Authority
Hermogenes Esperon: General; Chief of Staff, Armed Forces of the Philippines
* Joseph Abaya: Congressman, 1st district of Cavite
* Mario Taguiwalo: Health Undersecretary (1986-1992), political theorist, and occasional actor
* Roberto Verzola: computer scientist and social critic
* Tony Tujan: Ibon Philippines executive director and civil society leader
* Vicky Tauli-Corpuz: Indigenous People's rights advocate; Chair, United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
Arts and Humanities
Anna Bayle: entrepreneur and Asia's first international supermodel
* Arnee Hidalgo (Batch 1998): singer
Atom Araullo(Batch 2000): tv host
Auraeus Solito(Batch 1986): filmmaker, director of the internationally-acclaimed "Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros", "Tuli", and "Pisay"
Butch Dalisay(Batch 1971-A): writer, editor, columnist, Palanca awardee
* Fidelito Cortes: writer
* Jake Verzosa (Batch 1996): fashion photographer
* Jeffrey Hidalgo (Batch 1994): singer-composer and former vocalist of "Smokey Mountain"
Jessica Zafra(Batch 1982): fiction writer, columnist, editor, publisher, former television and radio show host, Palanca awardee
* Joel Navarro: composer
* Lore Reyes: film director
* Luis Katigbak (Batch 1991): writer
* Marc Gaba (Batch 1995): writer, Palanca awardee
* Nes Jardin: dancer and President of the
Cultural Center of the Philippines
* Ralph Galan (Batch 1989): writer
* Ric Fernando (Batch 2000): writer, Palanca awardee
Business and Finance
* Jaime del Rosario: former SGV partner and Accenture CEO
* Rodel Rodis: former San Francisco utilities commission president
On September 30, 2008, the PSHS second floor was burned to a crisp except the lockers at the back. Reasons unknown, but classes were suspended
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Philippine Science High School System — Infobox Secondary school native name = Mataas na Paaralan ng Pilipinas sa Agham name = Philippine Science High School established = 1964 campus director = country=Philippines city=Quezon City address= Agham Road, North Triangle, Diliman… … Wikipedia
Philippine Science High School Eastern Visayas Campus — Infobox Secondary school name = Philippine Science High School Eastern Visayas Campus native name = established = 1994 city = Palo state = province = Leyte country = PHI type = Public, Specialized High School affiliation= Department of Science… … Wikipedia
Philippine Science High School Cagayan Valley Campus — The Philippine Science High School Cagayan Valley Campus is a campus of the Philippine Science High School System, a special public high school that caters to scientifically and mathematically gifted high school students from all over Luzon. It… … Wikipedia
Philippine Cultural High School — Infobox K 12 School chinese name= 菲律宾侨中学院 name = former names = Philippine Cultural High School and Philippine Chinese High School vision = A responsive Chinese Filipino institution that provides equal opportunity for excellent education towards… … Wikipedia
Manila Science High School — Coordinates: 14°34′49.75″N 120°59′09.65″E / 14.5804861°N 120.9860139°E / 14.5804861; 120.9860139 … Wikipedia
Regional Science High School Union — (RSHS Union) is a specialized system of public secondary schools in the Philippines, established during the 1994 1995 school year. It is operated and supervised by the Department of Education, with a curriculum heavily focusing on math and… … Wikipedia
Marikina Science High School — Mataas na Paaralang Pang Agham ng Marikina Location Mayor Juan Chanyungco St., Sta. Elena Marikina City, Metro Manila, Philippines Information Type … Wikipedia
Minglanilla National Science High School — Motto Initium Sapientiae Timor Domini Established 1996 Type Public High S … Wikipedia
Naga City Science High School — The Naga City National Science High School (Mataas na Paaralang Nasyonal na Pang Agham ng Lungsod ng Naga) is a Secondary Public Science High School system located in Naga City, Camarines Sur, Philippines. It is a DepEd recognized science high… … Wikipedia
Negros Occidental Science High School — Negros Occidental National Science High School Mataas na Paaralang Pambansa na Pang Agham ng Negros Occidental Aim high, fly high! Location Estrella Road, Barangay XIV Western Visayas … Wikipedia