- Manila Science High School
Manila Science High SchoolScience, Truth and Country
(Agham, Katotohanan at Bayan)
Location Taft Ave. cor. Padre Faura St. Ermita
City of Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines
Information Type Public, Special Science Established 1963 Principal Fernando B. Orines Number of students approx. 1,200 Medium of language English, Filipino, French Campus 1 hectare Color(s) Royal Blue and White Nickname MaSci Affiliations Division of City Schools - Manila Website Official website
Manila Science High School (Filipino: Mataas na Paaralang Pang-Agham ng Maynila) (colloquially MaSci) is the Pilot Science High School in the Philippines. It is located on Taft Avenue at the corner of Padre Faura Street in Ermita, Manila, and was established on October 1, 1963.
Former President of the Philippines Ramon Magsaysay was the first to envision a Science High School in the Philippines in his 1956 State of the Nation Address where he underscored “the great need of stepping up the development of fundamental and applied research in science and technology which has long been neglected.”
Taking action, the Philippine Congress passed Republic Act 1606 creating the National Science Development Board to work with the Science Foundation of the Philippines in advancing scientific and technological research. This was closely followed by Republic Act 2067, known as the Science Act of 1958 which proposed to integrate, coordinate, and intensify scientific and technological research and development to foster invention.
In conjunction, the Department of Education implemented RA 1606 by issuing Department Orders 1 and 5, series of 1958, for the launching of Science Talent Research.
November 25, 1959 marked the evolution of the first pilot science high school in Manila. Comprising 32 students screened through a competitive examination, this nucleus of a science high school had its beginnings in a single-storey building in Intramuros.
On October 1, 1963, the Manila Science High School was born by virtue of Municipal Resolution 426 signed by Mayor Antonio J. Villegas. Credit for the school's early success goes to the Manila Science High School Principal Augusto Alzona – the "Father of Manila Science High School". Modeled after the Bronx High School of Science, the special science curriculum is designed to meet the needs of scholars gifted in science and mathematics. However, opportunities, training, and experiences in varied fields are also available.
After five years in Intramuros, the Manila Science High School moved to its present site in 1966 with its second principal, Mr. Honesto Valdez (1963–1977). By 1977, Phase I of the Main Building was completed while the construction of Phase II was ongoing.
In September 1977, Mrs. Evelina P. Barotilla (1977–1988), the third principal, saw the completion of the Manila Science High School Complex and the renovation of the H.A. Bordner Building. The Home Economics Building was built in 1980. The whole construction project was financed by the Special Education Fund under the chairmanship of Dr. Josefina Navarro, Superintendent of City Schools, Manila.
The construction of the Php 7.5 million Technology Creativity Laboratory began in 1998 during the administration of Mrs. Daisy H. Banta, (1988–2000), fourth principal. The project was made possible by the Special Education Fund through the joint efforts of Mayors Gemiliano Lopez and Alfredo Lim, together with DECS-Manila Superintendent, Dr. Erlinda G. Lolarga.
The new millennium ushered in the arrival of Mrs. Susan A. Yano, fifth principal, the completion of the Antonio Maceda Building and the revival of the Manila Science High School Alumni Association. Mrs. Susan A. Yano opted for an early retirement. Ms. Edna P. Parcon, Math Department Head III, was then assigned Officer-in-Charge from July 18, 2002 to January 13, 2003, together with Ms. Betty de la Cruz, Science Supervisor, assigned Supervisor-in-Charge from October 13, 2002 to January 13, 2003. Mrs. Rosita C. Herson became the principal in 2003 until 2006. After that, the Manila Science High School was under the leadership of Mrs. Salud S. Sabado from 2006 until November 15, 2008.
Manila Science has been under the leadership of Mrs. Flora A. Valdez for less than a year until her retirement on January 21, 2010. Before the retirement, a government project has started: the construction of the Amadome by Manila 5th District Congressman Amado Bagatsing, which is now completed in time for the new school year and has been formally inaugurated and turned over by Cong. Bagatsing on September 8, 2010.
Due to implementing laws for the May 2010 polls, Manila Science will not have a principal yet until such time that the elected Mayor of Manila appoints new school administrators. The school, at the last half of SY 2009-2010 and on the first quarter of SY 2010-2011, was under the leadership of Ms. Edna P. Parcon, the school's Mathematics Department Head until August 26, 2010 which welcomed the arrival of the eighth and second male principal, Mr. Fernando B. Orines.
SUBJECT YEAR I YEAR II YEAR III YEAR IV SCIENCE General Science Biology Inorganic Chemistry Introductory College Physics MATHEMATICS Elementary Algebra Geometry Advanced Algebra Analytical Geometry and Introduction to Calculus ENGLISH Grammar & Philippine Literature Grammar & Asian Literature Grammar & American Literature Grammar & World Literature FILIPINO Grammar, Mechanics & Ibong Adarna Grammar, Mechanics & Florante at Laura Philippine Literature & Noli Me Tangere Asian Literature & El Filibusterismo SOCIAL STUDIES Philippine History and Government Asian History World History Economics MAPEH Music, Arts, Physical Education and Health I Music, Arts, Physical Education and Health II Music, Arts, Physical Education and Health III Music, Physical Education and Health & Citizenship Advancement Training TECHNOLOGY AND HOME ECONOMICS/LIVELIHOOD EDUCATION Drafting and Livelihood Education OR Merchandising Drafting and Livelihood Education OR Retailing Culinary Arts OR Accounting and Business Management OR Journalism Culinary Arts OR Drafting and House Planning OR Journalism COMPUTER SCIENCE Computer Basics and Windows HTML & Frontpage Basic C++ C++ & Java VALUES EDUCATION Values Education I Values Education II SCIENCE ELECTIVES Earth Science Theoretic Research Biotechnology and Research Organic Chemistry and Research Introductory Physics ENGLISH ELECTIVES Speech and Theater Arts Technical Writing Humanities MATHEMATICS ELECTIVES Statistics Intermediate Algebra Trigonometry Finite Mathematics FOREIGN LANGUAGES Nihongo French OR Mandarin OR Spanish OR Nihongo Spanish II OR French II
- Jose A. Magpantay (Class 1968), internationally-published professor from the University of the Philippines-National Institute of Physics
- Marissa Toledo-Peterson (Class 1978 Valedictorian), former Executive Vice President, Sun Microsystems and Board Member at companies such as Humana, Ansell Limited, and Kettering University.
- Lt. Col. Rene Glenn Paje (Class 1979), Chief of Staff, First Scout Ranger Regiment, Philippine Army
- Cristeta Pasia Comerford (Class 1979), culinary artist and chief cook for the White House. The first woman appointed in the position and the first of Filipino descent.
- Antonio A. Morales (Class 1981?), Chief of Mission Class II, Executive Director, Office of the Undersecretary for Special and Ocean Concerns, Department of Foreign Affairs, former Consul General (Rome and Milan, Italy)
- Eugene Reyes (Class 1981?), Former Commercial Attaché (Singapore and New York, USA), Foreign Trade Service Corps, Department of Trade and Industry
- Randy Sacdalan (Class 1982), sports commentator and dean of student affairs of Lyceum of the Philippines.
- John Paul B. Iñigo (Class 1982), Commercial Attaché in Rome, Italy, former Commercial Attaché (Hamburg, Germany and Brussels, Belgium), Foreign Trade Service Officer, Foreign Trade Service Corps, Department of Trade and Industry
- Rigoberto C. Advincula, PhD (Class 1983), physical chemist and 2003 Arthur K. Doolittle Awardee.
- Von Glenn Hernandez (Class 1983), environmental activist and 2003 Goldman Environmental Prize winner
- Alvin Patrimonio (Class 1983), basketball player, four-time Most Valuable Player of the Philippine Basketball Association.
- Nathaniel Jordan Calvo (Class 1988), the first Filipino pilot to receive a license to fly the Airbus A380.
- Beethoven dV. Bunagan (Class 1991), a.k.a. Michael V., Philippine actor, composer, singer, and parodist.
- Analisa Balares (Class 1992), Founder and CEO of Womensphere, and Global Marketing Manager for Microsoft's blogging/social networking service.
- Tuesday Vargas (Class 1998), born as Marizel Sarangelo, Philippine singer, comedian, and Talentadong Pinoy talent scout.
- Neil Tristan Yabut (Class 1999), 1998 Sibol Awardee for Outstanding Student Creative Research and 3-time nationally televised quiz (1999 and 2000 Battle of the Brains, 2001 National Super Quiz Bee) champion
- Jeric V. Macalintal, Richard Kristoffer S. Manapat and Allan N. Estrella (Class 2002), first Filipinos to win a First Grand Award (Team Category, Physics, 2002) at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF)
- Andrew John Lena (Class 2002), 2001 Digital LG Quiz champion
- Louie Mar Gangcuangco (Class 2003), author of the best-selling Filipino novel Orosa-Nakpil, Malate; and homosexuality, HIV-AIDS, and gay literature activist
- ^ Republic Act 1606
- ^ Republic Act 2067
- ^ MSHS yearbook, SY 2005-2006
- ^ The Nucleus, year XLIII, Volume 1, January 2007
- ^ COMELEC Resolution No. 8737 (December 29, 2009)
- ^ http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v34/i2/p557_1 Phys. Rev. D 34 (1986): Jose A. Magpantay and Danilo M. Yanga - Stochastic quantization and the Tunneling Problem
- ^ http://people.forbes.com/profile/marissa-t-peterson/75709
- ^ Manila Standard: The Future is Ours
- ^ http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/P10_170.cws_home/publishersnote_jan2011
- ^ http://www.unizar.es/premio_goldman/webs/w_carr.pdf
- ^ http://www.up.edu.ph/oar/conline/conline-news.htm
- ^ http://www.balitapinoy.net/link.asp?smenu=373&sdetail=18338&wpage=1
- ^ http://www.manilamaildc.net/2008/11/26/1st-pinoy-pilot-of-super-jumbo-jet
- ^ http://goodnewspilipinas.com/?p=3877
- ^ http://www.gmanews.tv/story/142526/Pinoy-pilot-flies-Airbus-A380-worlds-biggest-jet
- ^ http://markcupitt.blogspot.com/2009/01/filipino-flies-worlds-biggest-jet.html
- ^ http://www.filipinomusica.com/michael-v.html
- ^ http://www.womensphere.com/team/founder.html CEO, Founder & Executive Producer, Womensphere
- ^ http://www.uwc.org/gp_abalares United World Colleges
- ^ http://tuesdayv.tumblr.com/post/1196762820/hi-ms-tuesday-schoolmate-high-school-that-is
- ^ http://www.wipo.int/ip-outreach/en/awards/inventors/winners_98.html
- ^ http://riia.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243564&page=4
- ^ http://www.intel.com/cd/corporate/education/APAC/ENG/ph/math/IPSF/IPSF4/270943.htm
High School System
High School Union
Engineering and Science
NCR Public Science High Schools: Caloocan · Las Piñas · Makati · Mandaluyong · Manila (Raja Soliman) · Manila (Science) · Marikina · Muntinlupa · Parañaque · Pasay · Pasig · Quezon City (Alejandro Roces) · Taguig (Rene Cayetano) · Taguig (Science) · ValenzuelaPrivate Science High Schools: Batangas · Emilio Aguinaldo College · Lorma College · Malayan · PCU-Union · SLC · Roosevelt College · University of Baguio
Provincial Public Science High Schools: Angeles City · Aurora · Baguio City (National) · Baguio City (Pine City) · Bais City · Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo · Batanes · Batangas · Bulacan · Cabanatuan City · Cagayan · Cebu City · Dipolog City · Dumangas, Iloilo · Ifugao · Kabasalan, Zamboanga Sibugay · La Union · Lipa City · Masbate City · Medellin, Cebu · Minglanilla, Cebu · Misamis Occidental · Naga City · Negros Occidental · Olongapo City · Puerto Princesa City · Quezon · Rizal · San Pablo City · San Pedro(Pacita Complex) · Santa Rosa City · Siquijor · Tagaytay City · Tagbilaran City · Tagum City · Talisay City, Cebu · Tandag City · Tanjay City · Toledo City · Ubay, Bohol
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Science High School — Schools named Science High School include:*Gaziantep Science High School, Gaziantep, Turkey *Ankara Science High School, Ankara, Turkey *Bronx High School of Science, New York City, USA *Science Park High School (New Jersey), Newark, New Jersey,… … Wikipedia
Marikina Science High School — Mataas na Paaralang Pang Agham ng Marikina Location Mayor Juan Chanyungco St., Sta. Elena Marikina City, Metro Manila, Philippines Information Type … Wikipedia
Muntinlupa Science High School — Mataas na Paaralang Pang Agham ng Muntinlupa Established 1998 Type Public, Special Science Principal Madeline Ann L. Diaz Location 999 Buen … Wikipedia
Makati Science High School — Location Osias cor. Palma and Gabaldon Sts., Brgy. Poblacion 1210 City of Makati, Metropolitan Manila, Philippines, Metropolitan Manila, Philippines Information Type Science High Schoo … Wikipedia
Parañaque Science High School — Infobox K 12 Schoolname = Parañaque Science High School (PNHS Annex) established = 1990 principal = Mr. Pablito S. Vibal Asst. principal= Vacated city = Parañaque City state = Metro Manila country = Philippines address = Kay Talise St., Brgy. San … Wikipedia
Regional Science High School for Region VI — Infobox Secondary school name = Regional Science High School for Region VI other name = (formerly Science Development National High School) image size = founder = Dr. Constancio Constantino other names = (formerly Science Development National… … Wikipedia
Negros Occidental Science High School — Negros Occidental National Science High School Mataas na Paaralang Pambansa na Pang Agham ng Negros Occidental Aim high, fly high! Location Estrella Road, Barangay XIV Western Visayas … Wikipedia
Quezon City Science High School — Infobox K 12 School name = Quezon City Science High School (RSHS NCR) established = 1967 type = Regional Science High School, Public Science High School region = National Capital Region curriculum = Regional Science High School Curriculum motto … Wikipedia
Pasig City Science High School — Mataas na Paaralang Pang Agham ng Lungsod ng Pasig Motto We Serve. We Excel. We Lead. Established 2005 Type Public Affiliations DepEd, DepEd NCR, Division of … Wikipedia
Lipa City National Science High School — The Lipa City National Science High School (Filipino: Pambansang Mataas na Paaralang Pang Agham ng Lungsod ng Lipa ) is a public science high school located in Lipa City, Batangas in Philippines. It is a DepEd recognized science high school and… … Wikipedia