- Sam Francis
Samuel Lewis Francis (
June 25, 1923, San Mateo, California– November 4, 1994, Santa Monica, California) was an American painter and printmaker. He was born in San Mateo, California> [http://www.samfrancisfoundation.com/page3/page17/page17.html Samuel L. Francis Foundation Foundation website: About the Artist page] ] , and studied botany, medicineand psychologyat the University of California, Berkeley. He served in the United States Air Forceduring World War IIbefore being injured in a plane crash. He was in the hospitalfor several years, and it was while there that he began to paint. Once out of the hospital he returned to Berkeley, this time to study art.
Francis was initially influenced by the work of
abstract expressionists such as Mark Rothko, Arshile Gorkyand Clyfford Still. He spent the 1950s in Paris, having his first exhibition there in 1952. While there he became associated with Tachisme. He later spent time in Japan, and some have seen an influence from Zen Buddhismin his work.
Francis spent some time in Paris executing entirely monochromatic works, but his mature pieces are generally large
oil paintings with splashed or splattered areas of bright contrasting colour. Areas of white canvas are often left to show through, and in later works, paint is sometimes confined to the edges of the canvas.
Francis returned to
Californiaduring the 1960s and continued painting in Los Angeles. During the final three decades of his career his style of large scale bright Abstract expressionismwas also closely associated with Color field painting. During the last year of his life, suffering from prostate cancer and unable to paint with his right hand after a fall, in a final burst of energy he used his left hand to complete a dazzling series of about 150 small paintings before he died. He was buried in Olema, in Marin County, California. [ [http://www.marinmagazine.com/Marin-Magazine/October-2007/Sam-Francis/ "Marin Magazine" "Sam Francis: The internationally acclaimed abstract expressionist spent his last days in West Marin" By Jim Wood. October 2007.] ]
In the wake of the artist death, the Samuel L. Francis Foundation, Inc. (also know as the "Samuel L. Francis Art Museum, Inc." or the "Sam Francis Foundation") was founded. The Foundation not only serves as his official Estate, but also has a mission "to research, document, protect and perpetuate the creative legacy of [Francis] ." [ [http://www.samfrancisfoundation.com/page3/page17/page17.html Samuel L. Francis Foundation Foundation website: Mission page] ] The U.S. copyright representative for the Francis Foundation is the
Artists Rights Society[ [http://www.samfrancisfoundation.com/page3/page17/page17.html Samuel L. Francis Foundation Foundation website: Rights and Reproduction page] ] .
As of 2008, the Foundation is working to create a
Catalogue Raisonnéof Francis's work. [ [http://www.samfrancisfoundation.com/page2/page2.html Samuel L. Francis Foundation Foundation website: Catalogue Raisonné page] ] In addition to collecting information on known Francis works, they also have a page dedicated to "missing works" [ [http://www.samfrancisfoundation.com/page2/page13/page13.html Samuel L. Francis Foundation Foundation website: Missing Works page] ] for which they are seeking any information interested parties may have.
Color field painting
* Marika Herskovic, [http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/oclc/50253062&tab=holdings "American Abstract Expressionism of the 1950s An Illustrated Survey,"] (New York School Press, 2003.) ISBN 0-9677994-1-4
* Peter Plagens, [http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0268/is_7_37/ai_54169955 "Sunny side up - abstract expressionist painter Sam Francis,"] "
Artforum", March 1999.
* [http://www.samfrancisfoundation.com/ The Samuel L. Francis Foundation website]
* [http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ArtistWorks?cgroupid=999999961&artistid=1113&page=1 Francis' page at the Tate Gallery] (includes a brief biography and images of his work)
* [http://www.artfacts.net/index.php/pageType/artistInfo/artist/1470/lang/1 Sam Francis (artfacts)]
* [http://www.delaive.com/ Gallery Delaive - Official representative of the Sam Francis estate for Europe]
* [http://www.artnet.com/Artists/ArtistHomePage.aspx?artist_id=6439&page_tab=Artworks_for_sale/Online examples of Sam Francis paintings]
* [http://www.hollistaggart.com/artists/francis.htm Sam Francis Biography and
* [http://www.arsny.com Artists Rights Society, U.S. Copyright Representatives for Sam Francis]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.