Infobox Radio Station
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
watts (day), 1,000 watts (night)
CBC Radio One
website= [http://www.cbc.ca/north/ CBC North]
callsign_meaning=Canada's Finest WhiteHorse
CFWH is a Canadian
radio station, broadcasting at 570 AM in Whitehorse, Yukon. The station broadcasts the programming of the CBC Radio Onenetwork known as CBC North. CFWH's sister television station is CFWH-TV.
CFWH was launched in 1951 as a local community station on AM 1340. On
November 10 1958it was taken over by the CBC as the first station of the newly formed CBC Northern Radio Service. CFWH received CBC news and topical programs by picking up CBX 1010 (later 740) Edmonton and relaying the broadcast. Tapes recorded in Montreal, Quebecwere also flown in on regular airline flights. Eventually the station was linked into the primary CBC network feed.
In 1960, the frequency was changed to 1240 and then to 570 in 1964.
CFWH produces all of CBC Radio's local programs in the Yukon, including "A New Day" on weekday mornings, the noon-hour program "Lunch Break", "The Afternoon Show" in the afternoons, and "The Weekender" on weekend mornings.
The station also produces "Rencontres", a weekly
French languageprogram for the Franco-Yukonnaiscommunity which airs in the network's Saturday afternoon block for local cultural programming. Although Whitehorse itself is served by a rebroadcaster of the Première Chaînestation from Vancouver, that network does not originate any French programming in the Yukon.
CFWH has the following rebroadcasters:
* CBDB - Watson Lake - 990
* CBDC - Mayo - 1230
* CBDF-FM - Haines Junction - 103.5 [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1992/DB92-180.HTM Decision CRTC 92-180] ]
* CBDK - Teslin - 940
* CBDL-FM - Destruction Bay - 105.1 [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1991/DB91-200.HTM Decision CRTC 91-200] ]
* CBDM - Beaver Creek - 690
* CBDN - Dawson City - 540
* CBDX - Swift River - 970
* CBQF - Carmacks - 990
* CBQJ - Ross River - 990
* CBQK-FM - Faro - 105.1 [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1987/DB87-610.HTM Decision CRTC 87-610] ]
* CBUA-FM -
Atlin, British Columbia- 90.1 [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1986/DB86-82.HTM Decision CRTC 86-82] ]
Community-owned rebroadcasters :
* VF2041 - Pelly Crossing - 100.1 [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1994/DB94-805.HTM Decision CRTC 94-805] ]
* VF2048 - Stewart Crossing - 100.9 [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1987/DB87-612.HTM Decision CRTC 87-612] ]
* VF2211 - Horse Camp Hill - 93.3 [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1992/DB92-811.HTM Decision CRTC 92-811] ] [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2003/db2003-144.htm Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-144] ]
* VF2259 - Ferry Hill - 106.1 [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1994/DB94-85.HTM Decision CRTC 94-85] ] [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2003/db2003-167.htm Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-167] ]
* [http://www.cbc.ca/north/ CBC North]
* [http://www.cbc.ca/frequency/frequency_yukon.html Yukon Frequency Listings Radio One and Two]
* [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/1992/DB92-181.HTM Decision CRTC 92-181]
* [http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/listings_and_histories/radio/histories.php?id=741&historyID=500 CFWH history at Canadian Communications Foundation]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
CFWH — is the call sign of a television station and 2 radio stations in Whitehorse, Yukon:* CFWH (AM) * CFWH FM * CFWH TV … Wikipedia
CFWH-TV — Infobox Broadcast call letters = CFWH TV station station slogan = Canada s Own station branding = CBC Television / CBC North analog = 6 (VHF) digital = 36 (UHF) allotted other chs = affiliations = CBC North CBC Television founded = November 1968… … Wikipedia
Whitehorse, Yukon — Infobox Settlement official name = City of Whitehorse, Yukon Ville de Whitehorse, Yukon nickname = motto = Our People, Our Strength (English) Nos personnes, Notre force (French) imagesize = 200px image caption = Downtown Whitehorse seen from the… … Wikipedia
CBC North — Infobox Network network name = CBC North network | country = Canada network type = Broadcast radio network Television network available = owner = Canadian Broadcasting Corporation key people = Robert Rabinovitch, president launch date = 1958… … Wikipedia
Dawson City — Town Town of the City of Dawson Aerial view of Dawson City with the Yukon River … Wikipedia
CBU-FM — Infobox Radio Station name = CBU FM airdate = 1947 frequency = 105.7 MHz (FM) area = Vancouver, British Columbia format = public broadcasting owner = Canadian Broadcasting Corporation erp = branding = CBC Radio Two slogan = class = website =… … Wikipedia
List of assets owned by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation — The following are lists of assets of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and la Société Radio Canada:TelevisionConventional television (English)The following is a list of television stations which are owned by or regional affiliates of CBC… … Wikipedia
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation — Infobox Network network name = Canadian Broadcasting Corporation en icon Société Radio Canada fr icon network | country = Canada network type = Broadcast radio network Television network available = National; available on terrestrial and cable… … Wikipedia
List of CBC television stations — The following is a list of television stations which are owned by or regional affiliates of CBC Television. For stations affiliated with or owned by the CBC s French language television network, see List of Radio Canada television stations.Also… … Wikipedia
CBWT — City of license Winnipeg, Manitoba Branding CBC Television Slogan Canada Lives Here … Wikipedia