Olt — County —
Coat of arms
Country Romania Development region Sud-Vest Historic region Wallachia Area - Total 5,498 km2 (2,122.8 sq mi) Area rank 22nd Population (2002) - Total 489,274 - Rank 19th - Density 89/km2 (230.5/sq mi) Telephone code (+40) 249 or (+40) 349 ISO 3166 code RO-OT Website County Council
In 2002, it had a population of 489,274 and the population density was 89/km².
Year County population 1948 442,442 1956 458,982 1966 476,513 1977 518,804 1992 523,291 2002 489,274
The county is a mainly rural one, with over 60% of the population living in villages.
This county has a total area of 5,498 km².
The county lies in a flat area on the Western part of the Romanian Plain. It is crossed by rivers from North to South, the main one - the Olt River giving the county its name. The Danube forms a wide valley in the South, with lots of ponds and small channels, which are flooded from time to time.
- Teleorman County to the East.
- Dolj County to the West.
- Argeş County and Vâlcea County to the North.
- Bulgaria to the South - Vratsa Province and Pleven Province.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Metallurgy - aluminium and aluminium components.
- Railway equipment.
- Food and beverages industry.
- Textile industry.
- Mechanical components industry.
Agriculture is the main occupation in the county - over 58% of the population having agriculture as their main occupation. Both extensive agriculture, and small scale, vegetables and fruits, are practiced. The area is well suited for irrigations.
The main touristical destinations are:
- The city of Slatina.
- Fishing on the Danube and on the Olt River.
- City of Corabia with an ancient roman citadelle, large orthodoxe cathedral, Danube sunbathes, sailing and fishing.
- The town of Scorniceşti - the birthplace of Nicolae Ceauşescu.
Olt County has 2 municipalities, 6 towns and 104 communes:
- Slatina - capital city; population: 87,608 (as of 2007)
- ^ The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 şi 2002"
Counties (județe) of Romania
- Satu Mare
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Olt River — Coordinates: 43°42′46″N 24°48′1″E / 43.71278°N 24.80028°E / 43.71278; 24.80028 … Wikipedia
Olt — For abbreviations, see OLT (disambiguation). Olt may refer to: Olt Online Taxes , a tax website for USA Taxpayers Olt County, a county (judeţ) of Romania Olt Defile, a defile that has been cut into the Transyvanian Alps in south central Romania… … Wikipedia
Piatra-Olt — Town … Wikipedia
Drăgăneşti-Olt — Town … Wikipedia
Găneasa, Olt — Găneasa Commune … Wikipedia
Nicolae Titulescu, Olt — Coordinates: 44°18′N 24°48′E / 44.3°N 24.8°E / 44.3; 24.8 … Wikipedia
Corbu, Olt — For other uses, see Corbu. Corbu Commune Country Romania County … Wikipedia
Coloneşti, Olt — Coloneşti Commune Country Romania County … Wikipedia
Teslui, Olt — Teslui Commune … Wikipedia
Milcov, Olt — Milcov Commune Country Romania County Ol … Wikipedia