Suntory Holdings Limited Type Kabushiki gaisha Industry Beverage Founded Osaka, Japan (1899) Founder(s) Torii Shinjiro Headquarters Osaka, Japan Website www.suntory.com
Suntory Holdings Limited (サントリーホールディングス株式会社 Santorī Hōrudingusu Kabushiki-Gaisha ) is a Japanese brewing and distilling company group. Established in 1899, it is one of the oldest companies in the distribution of alcoholic beverages in Japan. Its business has expanded to other fields, and the company now offers everything from soft drinks to sandwich chains. Suntory is headquartered in Dojimahama 2-chome, Kita-ku, Osaka, Osaka prefecture.
Suntory was started by Torii Shinjiro, who first opened his store Torii Shoten in Osaka on February 1, 1899, to sell imported wines. In 1907, the store began selling a sweet tasting red wine called Akadama Port Wine. The store became the Kotobukiya company in 1921 to further expand its business. In December 1924, Yamazaki Distillery, the first Japanese whisky distillery, began its production of malt whisky. Five years later Suntory Whisky Sirofuda (White Label), the first single malt whisky made in Japan, was sold.
Due to wartime shortage of World War II, Kotobukiya was briefly forced to halt its development of new products. In 1961, Kotobukiya launched the famous "Drink Tory's (Whisky) and Go to Hawaii" campaign. At the time, a trip abroad was considered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. In 1963, Kotobukiya changed its name to "Suntory", taken from the name of the famous whisky it produces. In the same year, Musashino Beer Factory began its production of the Suntory Beer. In 1997, the company became Japan's sole bottler, distributor, and licensee of Pepsi products.
On April 1, 2009, Suntory became a stockholding company named "Suntory Holdings Limited (サントリーホールディングス株式会社)" and established "Suntory Beverage and Food Limited (サントリー食品株式会社)", "Suntory Products Limited (サントリープロダクツ株式会社)", "Suntory Wellness Limited (サントリーウェルネス株式会社)", "Suntory Liquors Limited (サントリー酒類株式会社)", "Suntory Beer & Spirits Limited (サントリービア&スピリッツ株式会社)", "Suntory Wine International Limited (サントリーワインインターナショナル株式会社)", and "Suntory Business Expert Limited (サントリービジネスエキスパート株式会社)".
- Cerebos Pacific Ltd
- Château Lagrange S.A.S
- Florigene Pty Ltd
- Frucor Beverages Limited
- Gold Knoll Ltd
- Grupo Restaurante Suntory Mexico
- Louis Royer S.A.S
- Morrison Bowmore Distillers, Limited
- Pepsi Bottling Ventures LLC
- Subway Japan
- Tipco F&B Co., Ltd
From the early 1990s, Suntory has collaborated extensively with Melbourne biotechnology firm Florigene to genetically engineer the world's first true blue rose, a symbol often associated with the impossible or unattainable. In 1991, the team won the intense global race to isolate the gene responsible for blue flowers, and has since developed a range of genetically modified flowers expressing colors in the blue spectrum, as well as a number of other breakthroughs extending the vase life of cut flowers.
In 2003, Suntory acquired a 98.5% equity holding in Florigene. Prior to this, Florigene had been a subsidiary of global agrochemicals giant Nufarm Limited since 1999. In July 2004, Suntory and Florigene scientists announced to the world the development of the first roses containing blue pigment, an important step toward the creation of a truly blue colored rose.
In July 2011, Suntory Beverage and Food Limited together with PT GarudaFood from Indonesia have agreed to make a new firm to produce non-alcoholic drink with 51 percent and 49 percent shares respectively. It will produce Suntory Ooolong Tea, Boss and Orangina.
Media and advertising
- Suntory was one of the first Asian companies to specifically employ American celebrities to market their product. One of the most notable is Sammy Davis, Jr., who appeared in a series of memorable Suntory commercials in the early 1970s. In the late 1970s, Akira Kurosawa directed a famous series of commercials featuring American celebrities on the set of his film Kagemusha. One of these featured Francis Ford Coppola (an executive producer of the film), which later inspired his daughter Sofia Coppola in her writing of Lost in Translation, a film which focuses on an American actor filming a Suntory commercial in Tokyo.
- A Reuters photo by Toshiyuki Aizawa from July 2003 showed Suntory's unusual marketing strategy of TV helmets. In this scheme, advertising company employees clad in orange jumpsuits wear televisions that broadcast wide-screen digital feeds of the brewing company's commercial on top of their helmets.
- Suntory operates two museums, the Suntory Museum of Art in Tokyo and the Suntory Museum Tempozan in Osaka, in addition to a number of cultural and social programs across Japan.
- Suntory produced several drinks under the name "Final Fantasy Potion", named for the weakest and most common healing item in the game, each were released in Japan only for a limited time to promote the release of the Square Enix game Final Fantasy XII, the 10th Anniversary of Final Fantasy VII, and the release of Dissida Final Fantasy, which comes in two varieties. Each drink is different despite sharing the name. For the release of Final Fantasy XIII the Potion name was abandoned and replaced with Elixir, an item which typically heals one party member fully and restores all MP.
- There is a top Japanese rugby club called the Suntory Sungoliath owned by the Suntory company.
- In the 1970s, Suntory engaged US pop group, the Carpenters, to advertise its new line of soft drinks.
- Suntory is a former sponsor of the professional match play golf tournament played annually at Wentworth Club, near London.
- Suntory Kakubin is featured in an episode of the 2006 anime series Bartender entitled "Menu of the Heart."
- In the 2000s, to advertise its The Premium Malt's beer, there has been a series of television ads featuring Eikichi Yazawa and various versions of the title song of Shall We Dance?.
- The Premium Malt's
- Aki (Discontinued in 1988)
Food for specified health uses (FOSHU)
- Black Oolong Tea
- Calcium and Iron Beverage
- Sesame Barley Tea
- Suntory Sungoliath rugby team - champions of the 2007-08 Top League (fifth season)
- Suntory Mermaid II - Wave powered catamaran
- ^ キリン：サントリーと経営統合へ交渉 - 毎日ｊｐ(毎日新聞) Mainichi Shimbun (Retrieved on July 13, 2009)
- ^ Termination of Merger Negotiation with Kirin Suntory News Release (Retrieved on February 8, 2010)
- ^ Suntory News Release on January 19, 2009 (Global webside), (Japan website) - Suntory Limited
- ^ "Japan's Suntory snaps up Orangina". BBC News (BBC). 2009-11-13. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8358674.stm. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- ^ http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/07/16/garudafood-suntory-form-joint-venture.html
- ^ "Food for Specified Health Uses (FOSHU)", Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (Retrieved on May 1, 2010)
- ^ "Beverages, Health Beverages", Suntory (Retrieved on May 1, 2010)
- ^ "Soft drink product information" (Japanese), Suntory (Retrieved on May 1, 2010)
- "Suntory buys Frucor from Groupe Danone October 2008". Danone. 23 October 2008. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=95168&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1216654. Retrieved 16 January 2009.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Suntory — Logo des Unternehmens Suntory K.K. (jap. サントリー株式会社 Santorī Kabushiki gaisha) ist ein japanischer Getränkehersteller. Die Firma wurde 1899 gegründet und ist damit eine der ältesten im Vertrieb von alkoholischen Getränken. Ursprünglich nur eine… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Suntory — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar … Wikipedia Español
Suntory — Logo de Suntory Création 1899 Forme juridique … Wikipédia en Français
Suntory Hall — Type Salle de concerts classiques Lieu Tokyo Coordonnées … Wikipédia en Français
Suntory Hall — Suntory Hall, is a concert hall complex consisting of the Main Hall and the Small Hall located in the Ark Hills complex, near the U.S. Embassy and TV Asahi in the Akasaka district of northern Minato, a ward in Tokyo, Japan. This is the first… … Wikipedia
Suntory Hall — Suntory Hall … Deutsch Wikipedia
Suntory Hotel — (Pará de Minas,Бразилия) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: Av. Professor Mell … Каталог отелей
Suntory Sungoliath — est un club japonais de rugby à XV détenu par Suntory, et résidant à Fuchū, comme leur rival local Toshiba Brave Lupus. Sommaire 1 Top League Table 2 Joueurs actuels 3 Effectif 2009 2010 … Wikipédia en Français
Suntory Sunbirds — is a men s volleyball team based in Osaka city, Osaka, Japan. It plays in V.League. The club was founded in 1973.Honours;Japan Volleyball League/V.League *Champions (7): 1994 1995 1999 2000 2000 2001 2001 2002 2002 2003 2003 2004 2006 2007… … Wikipedia
Suntory Sungoliath — Rugby team teamname = Suntory Sungoliath サントリーサンゴリアス founded = April 1980 ground = Suntory Fuchu Sports Centre capacity = union = Japan Rugby Football Union country location = Fuchū, Tokyo, Japan coach = Katsuyuki Kiyomiya league = Top League… … Wikipedia