India of Inchinnan
India of Inchinnan is now a commercial site in
Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, Scotland, that was formerly used for various industrial uses. It includes the former office block of India Tyres of Inchinnan - a Category A listed buildingin the art decostyle, designed in 1930 by Thomas Wallisof Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. The office block was similar in style to Wallis, Gilbert and Partners' Hoover Buildingin Perivale, London. There is also a Rolls Royce factory.
The site was first used industrially by
William Beardmore and Company, who obtained a contract from the Admiraltyto build airshipsin World War I. Airship components were built at William Beardmore's Dalmuir, Clydebank, factory but more land was needed. William Beardmore therefore obtained land at Inchinnanand built the Inchinnan Airship Constructional Station.Johnson (1993)] Building work started in January 1916 to construct the Station, which occupied 413 acres. Due to the difficulties of getting staff to this isolated location, the company built 52 houses in Inchinnan, at Beardmore Cottages.
airship hangar, the Airship Shed, was built by Sir William Arrol & Co.At convert|720|ft|m long by convert|230|ft|m wide and convert|122|ft|m high, it was of comparable size to the Cardington and HowdenAirship sheds, which were contemporary. It was designed to accommodate two Class 23 airships side by side; of the class only R24 was built by Beardmore.
hydrogenproduction plant, a bottled hydrogen storage area, and various production shops were also built.
William Beardmore successfully built several airships, Airship No. R24, R27, R34 and the R36.
Admiraltycontract was cancelled in August 1919 and no more orders were received. The station closed on 12 October 1922, and the Airship shed and other many other buildings were demolished for scrap.
The major part of the site and some of the buildings, including a large hangar, were purchased by India Tyres in December 1927. The company set about redeveloping it.
Based on a plan of the Airship construction station, Johnson (1993): Page 88, Plan: Inchinnan Airship Constructional Station, 1918.] the existing hangar appears to have comprised three adjacent shops: the Frame Shop, the Girder Shop and the Car shop. It was reused as a
rubbermill building, where the rubber was compounded and the tyres were manufactured, and a linked raw materials store.
Other separate buildings were erected for storage of
carbon blackand finished products. The carbon black storage silowas separate; by the 1970s it appears to occupy part of the former hydrogen generation plant / bottled gas storage area.
India Tyres commissioned their
Art Decooffice block in 1930, strategically located in front of their mill building west of Glasgow on Greenock Road, the A8 roadfrom Edinburgh to Greenock. It is similar in style to Wallis, Gilbert and Partners' Hoover Buildingin Perivale, London. Construction work was completed, and the building opened in 1931. India Tyres also built two groups of houses to accommodate its workers: "Allands Avenue" and "India Drive". The office block remained in use for its original purpose for some 50 years.
The India Tyres office building became vandalised and burnt after India Tyres closed down and vacated the site in the early 1980s. The former India Tyres buildings, with the exception of the office block, were demolished in 1982. Several plans for redevelopment of the by now brown field site by Renfrew District Council's Renfrew Development Agency (RDA), later Renfrew Enterprise, failed to progress.
The India of Inchinnan office block was saved from its dereliction when it was renovated and extended by the software company Graham Technology, now ciboodle, whose headquarters were located in the Grade A
listed building. The renovation was completed in 2003. Getronicsoccupy most of the ground floor.
Other parts of the site are used by Rolls Royce, who opened a brand new £85 million factory in October 2004. It replaced their Hillington factory, a
World War IIshadow factory.Clarifyme|date=September 2008
*Johnson, Ian (1993). "Beardmore Built: The rise and fall of a Clydeside Shipyard". Clydebank: Clydebank District Libraries & Museums Department. ISBN 0-906938-05-8.
*McMillan, James (1989). "The Dunlop Story: The life, death and re-birth of a multi-national". London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson. ISBN 0-297-79429-9.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Inchinnan — ( Innis Fhionghain in Scottish Gaelic) is a small village in Renfrewshire, Scotland. The village is located on the main A8 road between Renfrew and Greenock, just southeast of the town of Erskine.Historic buildings / sitesInchinnan swing bridge.… … Wikipedia
Wallis Gilbert & Partners — Wallis Gilbert Partners Wallis, Gilbert and Partners était un cabinet d architecture britannique qui fut à l initiative de création de différents bâtiments Art déco en Grande Bretagne dans les années 1920 et 1930. Il fut créé par Thomas Wallis… … Wikipédia en Français
Wallis, Gilbert and Partners — était un cabinet d architecture britannique qui fut à l initiative de création de différents bâtiments Art déco en Grande Bretagne dans les années 1920 et 1930. Il fut créé par Thomas Wallis (1873 1953) ie 1914. Bien que l identité de Gilbert ne… … Wikipédia en Français
List of Art Deco architecture — This is a list of buildings that are examples of Art Deco.North America*20 Exchange Place, New York, New York, Cross Cross, 1931 *40 Wall Street, New York City (1930) *140 Eighth Avenue, Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY 1939 *500 Fifth Avenue, New York… … Wikipedia
Paisley — PAISLEY, a burgh, market town, and ancient parish, in the Upper ward of the county of Renfrew, of which it is the principal place, and the seat of a wide manufacturing district, 7½ miles (W. by S.) from Glasgow, and 50 (W. by S.) from… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
List of Moderators of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland — is a complete list of Moderators of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland from the Reformation to the present day. Some listed below also currently have their own article. The location of the parish or other post during the Moderator s… … Wikipedia
Wallis, Gilbert and Partners — was a British architectural partnership responsible for the design of many Art Deco buildings in the UK in the 1920s and 1930s. It was established by Thomas Wallis (1873 1953) in 1914. Although the identity of Gilbert has not been established,… … Wikipedia
Glasgow — GLASGOW, a city, the seat of a university, and a sea port, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the Lower ward of the county of Lanark, and situated in longitude 4° 15 51 (W.), and latitude 55° 52 10 (N.), 23 miles (E. by S.) from Greenock … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland