Australian limes are species of the plant genus Citrus that are native to Australia. These species were formerly included in the genera Microcitrus and Eremocitrus. They have been used as a food source by indigenous Australians as well as early settlers and are used in modern Australian cuisine, including marmalade and sauces.
- Citrus australasica (Finger Lime), a species from rainforest regions of northern New South Wales and Southern Queensland with elongated yellow-green to purple fruits.
- Citrus australis (Round Lime or Dooja), a species from south-eastern Australia with round, green fruits
- Citrus glauca (Desert Lime), from arid inland areas of inland Australia. Small round fruits are produced in summer.
A number of cultivars have been developed in recent years. These can be grafted on to standard citrus rootstocks. They may be grown as ornamental trees in the garden or in containers. Grafted standards are available for some varieties. The cultivars include:
- 'Australian Outback' (or 'Australian Desert'), developed from several Desert Lime varieties
- 'Australian Red Centre' (or 'Australian Blood') , a hybrid cross of Finger Lime and mandarin
- 'Australian Sunrise' , a hybrid cross of Finger Lime and a calomondin which is pear shaped and orange inside
- 'Rainforest Pearl', a pink-fruited form of Finger Lime from Bangalow, New South Wales
- ^ a b Lindsay, Lenore. "Australian Limes". Australian Plants Onlline. Australian Native Plants Society (Australia). http://asgap.org.au/APOL2006/dec06-1.html. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- ^ "Eremocitrus". Australian Plant Name Index (APNI), IBIS database. Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research, Australian Government, Canberra. http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/apni?TAXON_NAME=Eremocitrus. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- ^ "Microcitrus". Australian Plant Name Index (APNI), IBIS database. Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research, Australian Government, Canberra. http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/apni?TAXON_NAME=Microcitrus. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- ^ "Taming Wild Limes". Ecos Magazine (CSIRO publishing) (107). 2001. http://www.ecosmagazine.com/?paper=EC107p6.
- ^ "Australian native citrus-wild species, cultivars and hybrids". Primary Industries and Resources SA. http://www.homecitrusgrowers.co.uk/australiannativecitrus/Australian_Nativce_Citrus.pdf. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- ^ "From the outback to ‘out the back’". CSIRO. 12 August 2005. http://www.csiro.au/news/LimeVarities.html. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Australian-lime — australinė citrinaitė statusas T sritis vardynas apibrėžtis Rūtinių šeimos dekoratyvinis augalas (Microcitrus australis), vedantis valgomus vaisius, savaime paplitęs Australijoje. atitikmenys: lot. Citrus australis; Limonia australis; Microcitrus … Lithuanian dictionary (lietuvių žodynas)
lime — I. /laɪm / (say luym) noun 1. the oxide of calcium, CaO, a white caustic solid (quicklime or unslaked lime) prepared by calcining limestone, etc., used in making mortar and cement. When treated with water it produces calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2,… … Australian English dictionary
lime sulphur — /laɪm ˈsʌlfə/ (say luym sulfuh) noun a compound of lime and sulphur, forming polysulphides, used to dip sheep to prevent infestation by itch mites and in orchards to control fungus diseases and sucking insects. Also, lime sulfur … Australian English dictionary
lime-burner — /ˈlaɪm bɜnə/ (say luym bernuh) noun someone who makes lime by burning or calcining limestone, etc … Australian English dictionary
lime-green — /laɪm ˈgrin/ (say luym green) noun the yellow green colour of the lime fruit … Australian English dictionary
lime-soda — /ˈlaɪm soʊdə/ (say luym sohduh) adjective of a process for softening water by treating it with lime and sodium carbonate … Australian English dictionary
Lime — NOTOC Lime may refer to:Fruits*Lime (fruit), various green to yellow citrus fruits **Australian lime **Blood lime **Kaffir lime **Key lime **Persian lime **Spanish lime **Sweet lime **Wild lime *Lime tree, a common name for members of the genus… … Wikipedia
Australian round-lime — australinė citrinaitė statusas T sritis vardynas apibrėžtis Rūtinių šeimos dekoratyvinis augalas (Microcitrus australis), vedantis valgomus vaisius, savaime paplitęs Australijoje. atitikmenys: lot. Citrus australis; Limonia australis; Microcitrus … Lithuanian dictionary (lietuvių žodynas)
Australian rock — and pop musicians have produced a wide variety of music. While many musicians and bands have had considerable international success, there remains some debate over whether Australian popular music really has a distinctive sound. Perhaps the most… … Wikipedia
Australian residential architectural styles — can be broadly categorised as follows (there are overlaps between periods): *Pre Colonial Period 30,000 BCE 1788 CE *Old Colonial Period 1788 c. 1840 *Victorian Period c. 1840 c. 1890 *Federation Period c. 1890 c. 1915 *Inter War Period c. 1915 c … Wikipedia