- Perversion for Profit
Perversion for Profit
George Putnam in Perversion for Profit
Narrated by George Putnam Starring George Putnam Release date(s) 1965 Country United States Language English
Perversion for Profit is a 1965 propaganda film financed by Charles Keating and narrated by news reporter George Putnam. A vehement diatribe against pornography, the film attempts to link explicit portrayals of human sexuality to the subversion of American civilization, and briefly draws a parallel between pornography and the Communist conspiracy. The film is in the public domain, and it has become a popular download from the Prelinger Archives. Perversion for Profit illustrates its claims with still images taken from various soft core pornography magazines of the period, though with some portions of human anatomy obscured by colored rectangles.
To bolster his position, Putnam makes a reference to "Dr. Sorokin, the renowned Harvard sociologist". This individual is Pitirim Sorokin, a Russian-American who founded Harvard's Sociology department and served as the American Sociological Association's 55th president.
In an article discussing the Prelinger Archives for the San Francisco Chronicle, Peter L. Stein observes that the film has gained a different sort of utility than its producers intended:
- ...as the parade of girlie magazine covers, men's physique pictorials and campy S&M leaflets continues, the film betrays a kind of prurience the filmmakers could hardly have intended. What results is a remarkable visual record of midcentury underground literature and sexual appetites, and a gloss on the values of the society that condemned them.
At the time the Chronicle article was written, Perversion was the Archive's second most popular download, superseded only by Duck and Cover. Ephemeral film scholar Rick Prelinger, founder of the Archive, views the popularity of such films as a sign the "unofficial evidence of everyday life" has become more interesting than "'official' documents from Washington or New York".
- "Now, you might ask yourself 'Why this sudden concern? Pornography and sex deviation have always been with mankind.' This is true. But, now, consider another fact: never in the history of the world have the merchants of obscenity, the teachers of unnatural sex acts, had available to them the modern facilities for disseminating this filth. High-speed presses, rapid transportation, mass distribution: all have combined to put the vilest obscenity within reach of every man, woman, and child in the country."—George Putnam, narrator.
- "This same type of rot and decay caused sixteen of the nineteen major civilizations to vanish from the Earth. Magnificent Egypt, classical Greece, imperial Rome, all crumbled away not because of the strength of the aggressor, but because of moral decay from within. But we are in a unique position to cure our own ills: our Constitution was written by men who put their trust in God and founded a government based in His laws. These laws are on our side. We have a constitutional guarantee of protection against obscenity. And, in this day especially, we must seek to deliver ourselves from this twisting, torturing evil. We must save our nation from decay and deliver our children from the horrors of perversion. We must make our land, 'the land of the free', a safe home. O God, deliver us, Americans, from evil."—George Putnam, narrator (closing words).
- "This moral decay weakens our resistance to the onslaught of the communist masters of deceit."—George Putnam, narrator.
- Whitney Strub (2006). Perversion for Profit: Citizens for Decent Literature and the Arousal of an Antiporn Public in the 1960s. Journal of the History of Sexuality 15(2): 258–291. (subscription required)
- List of films in the public domain
- Perversion for Profit is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more]
- Perversion for Profit is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more] (Come Join the Fun!)
- Perversion for Profit at the Internet Movie Database
- Peter L. Stein, "A rejected genre". San Francisco Chronicle, 31 August 2003.
- Perversion: for Profit album info from 3kStatic
- Where is This - Reprise at the Betty Ford' uses parts of the film in its music video.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Charles Keating — For other people named Charles Keating, see Charles Keating (disambiguation). Charles H. Keating, Jr. Born December 4, 1923 (1923 12 04) (age 87) Cincinnati, Ohio Residence Phoenix, Arizona Nationality … Wikipedia
George Putnam (newsman) — Infobox Person name = George Putnam imagesize = 300px caption = George Putnam in Perversion for Profit (1965) birth name = birth date = birth date|1914|7|14 birth place= Breckenridge, Wilkin County, Minnesota, USA death date =… … Wikipedia
Jeff Anderson — Infobox actor name = Jeff Anderson birthdate = birth date and age|1970|04|21 location = Long Branch, New Jersey, U.S. deathdate = birthname = Jeffrey Allan Anderson othername = homepage = spouse = Lisa Spoonhauer (1995 2005) (divorced)Jeffrey… … Wikipedia
Propaganda film — [ 250px|right|thumb|The Why We Fight Series depicts the Nazi propaganda machine.] A propaganda film is a film, either a documentary style production or a fictional screenplay, that is produced to convince the viewer of a certain political point… … Wikipedia
List of Consolevania episodes — This is a list of episodes of Consolevania in order of release.Pilot episodeIn a posting on the [http://www.rllmukforum.com Rllmuk] forums (dated 15 January 2004) the planned contents of the pilot episode of Consolevania were listed… … Wikipedia
3kStatic — is an electronica music group founded in 1999. The German radical newspaper Die Terz described their 2004 album, Perversion: for Profit , as working within the system to defeat the system... [cite web |title=Die Terz… … Wikipedia
Zak Charles Knutson — Zak Knutson (born January 4, 1974) is a movie producer and actor and has a company called Chop Shop Entertainment with longtime friend Joey Figueroa And has worked with writer and director Kevin Smith on his films and DVD projects through his… … Wikipedia
View Askew Productions — logo avec Jay Silent Bob Création 1994 Fondateurs Kevin Smith Scott Mosier … Wikipédia en Français
Corporation — This article is about business corporations. For other uses, see Corporation (disambiguation). Corporate redirects here. For the Bollywood film, see Corporate (film). A corporation is created under the laws of a state as a separate legal entity… … Wikipedia
Comprehensive campaign — A comprehensive campaign is labor union organizing or a collective bargaining campaign with a heavy focus on research, the use of community coalition building, publicity and public pressure, political and regulatory pressure, and economic and… … Wikipedia