Temporal range: Early Pleistocene - Recent
Conilurus albipes Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Mammalia Order: Rodentia Family: Muridae Subfamily: Murinae Genus: Conilurus
Head and body are 16.5–20 cm. Tail length is 18-21.5 cm. The tail is haired and has a distinct tuft at the end. These nocturnal animals are found in habitats ranging from coastal areas, swamps, plains, and forests. They have been reported along the edge of oceanic surf, presumably feeding.
Young have been found to cling to one of the mother's four nipples while she forages. Gestation is 33–35 days.
Genus Conilurus - rabbit rats
- White-footed Rabbit Rat, Conilurus albipes †
- Conilurus capricornensis †?
- Brush-tailed Rabbit Rat, Conilurus penicillatus
- Duff, A. and A. Lawson. 2004. Mammals of the World A Checklist. New Haven, Yale University Press.
- Nowak, R. M. 1999. Walker's Mammals of the World, Vol. 2. Johns Hopkins University Press, London.
- ^ Cramb, Jonathan; Scott Hocknull (2010). "New Quaternary records of Conilurus (Rodentia: Muridae) from eastern and northern Australia with the description of a new species". Zootaxa 2634: 41–56. http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2010/f/z02634p056f.pdf.