Maris Stella High School
Maris Stella High School (MSHS)
新加坡海星中学 (Xing Jia Po Hai Xing Zhong Xue)勤勉忠勇 (Diligence, Determination, Loyalty and Courage)
Location 25 Mount Vernon Road, Singapore 368051, Information Type SAP, Autonomous, Government-aided Established 1958 Session Single session School code 7111 Principal Mr Joesph Lim Choon Kiat Enrolment Approx. 1,500 Colour(s) Blue, black Vision A Marist Gentleman, Scholar and Sportsman Website Link
Maris Stella High School (Chinese: 新加坡海星中学, Abbreviation: MSHS) is an autonomous, SAP, Government-aided, all-boys Catholic secondary and primary school run by the international Marist Brothers at Mount Vernon Road in Singapore. It was headed by Bro. Anthony Tan from 1984 to 2009. Mr Joseph Lim Choon Kiat, the former Vice Principal, replaced Brother Anthony on 29 December 2009. It is placed in Band 3 in the 2010 School Achievement Table for Special/Express Course compiled by the Ministry of Education and, on that basis, is considered to be one of the top 20 schools in Singapore. Its teachers and students are also involved in non-academic fields including uniformed groups, sports such as archery, badminton, basketball, bowling, softball, table tennis, information technology, life sciences and Chinese debate.
The international crest of the Marist Brothers is the A.M. Monogram - the Marist "M”. It is fairly certain that the monogram was devised in the honour of Our Lady long before the Marist Brothers came into being in 1817. The letters probably signify Ave Maria (Hail Mary) and the twelve stars over the monogram were derived from Chapter 12 of the Book of Apocalypse: "And a great sign appeared in Heaven; a woman clothed with the sun and the moon under her feet, and upon her head crown of twelve stars."
Most Marist schools throughout the world use the same A.M. Monogram and stars.
- 1958 - 1981: Rev. Bro. J. Chanel Soon F.M.S.
- 1982 - 1984: Rev. Bro. John Lek F.M.S.
- 1984 - 2009: Rev. Bro Anthony Tan Kim Hock F.M.S.
- 2009 – Present: Mr Joseph Lim Choon Kiat
Clubs and Societies
- Artificial Intelligence
- Chinese Language Society
- English Language Society (ELS)
- Health and Fitness
- Marist IT Society (MITS)
- Media Club
- Outdoor Activities Club (ODAC)
- Photographic Society
- Singapore Youth Flying Club
- Digital Music & Art
- Chinese Orchestra
- Chinese Pugilistic (Wushu/Lion Dance)
- English Drama
- Symphonic Band
Sports and Games / Adventure
- Table Tennis
- National Cadet Corp (Sea)
- National Police Cadet Corp
- St. John's Ambulance Brigade
The schools Niche CCAs are Table Tennis, Badminton and Bowling. Their Uniformed Groups are also very strong with NCC(Sea), NPCC, Scouts, and St John Ambulance Brigade all clinching the GOLD award in their respective Best Unit Awards.
- Compulsory Enrichment Outdoor Activities
- Student Council
A separate organization outside CCAs, dedicated in contributing to the school
Optional Outdoor Activities
- Canoeing Expeditions
- Overseas Mountain-trekking Expeditions
- Hiking in Singapore (e.g. Pulau Ubin, MacRitchie Reservoir)
- Overseas Outward Bound Adventure Challenge Courses
Note: Parents and family members are invited to join the students in any of the activities.
- Only students who have obtained their 1-star kayaking can apply to take part in this activity.
- School Distinction Award (2008–2012)
Level Two Award
- Best Practice Award (Teaching and Learning) (2008–2012)
- Sustained Achievement Award (Academic Value-added) (Special/Express)
- Sustained Achievement Award (Aesthetics)
- Sustained Achievement Award (Sports)
- Sustained Achievement Award (Uniformed Groups)
- Sustained Achievement Award (Physical Fitness) (Primary Section)
Level One Award
- Achievement Award (Academic Value-added) (Special/Express) - Gold
- CHERISH Award - Silver (2010)
- Development Award (National Education) (2009–2011)
- Singapore Quality Class
- People Developer Standard
The School Distinction Award and Best Practice Award for Teaching and Learning are testimony to the school's commitment to holistic education. The Singapore Quality Class and People Developer Standard also validate the efficiency of the school and staff management processes.
The Secondary Section has the following facilities
- Air-conditioned Hall
- Sports hall
- Multi-purpose outdoor court
- Rock Wall
- Tennis Court
- Basketball Courts
- Wireless Network
- 21st Century Classrooms
- AV Theatrette
- Double Level Media Resource Library
- Air Conditioned Seminar Rooms
- Air-Conditioned Student Recreation Centre
- Music Room
- Band Room
- Media Studio equipped with green screen
- Champagnat Green Outdoor Recreational Area
- Choice of 2 canteens
- Apple Service Centre
- Newly Opened Air-Conditioned Gym
- All classrooms are equipped with an LCD projector, and a TV set linked to a video command system.
School Scholarships and Awards
Any Marist may apply for the following scholarship if he fulfils the criteria:
Kwek Leng Joo Scholarship
Open to application by new Secondary One students who have achieved a PSLE T-score of 260 and above. Ten scholarships are available each year.
Low Tuck Kwong Scholarship
Seconday Four students who achieved eight A1 and above in the GCE 'O' Level Examinations at one sitting are eligible for consideration.
Yeo Cho Sin Marist of the Year Award
One award worth $250 is given to the best all-round Secondary Four student each year.
Yeo Cho Sin Most Improved Marist Award
One award is given each year to the Secondary Four student who shows the most improvement in the GCE 'O' Level Examinations relative to his PSLE T-score.
- Lee Yi Shyan - Minister of State for National Development and Manpower, Member of Parliament for East Coast GRC
- Moses Lim - MediaCorp Actor and Comedian
Several Roman Catholic priests in Singapore have also graduated from Maris Stella High School, namely Father Henry Siew and a few others.
As part of the school's Youth Day celebrations, the school organised Hiphopthon on 30 June 2007 in an attempt to set a new Singapore Record for the most number of people dancing hiphop at the same time. The Hiphopthon was held at Serangoon Junior College Sports Field and the event was adjudicated by the Singapore Book of Records. 1,435 Marists and teachers took part in the event and the attempt was successful. Maris Stella now holds the record for the most number of people dancing hiphop at the same time.
- ^ "Ministry of Education Appoints 60 Principals in 2009". Ministry of Education. http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2009/10/appointment-of-principals.php.
- ^ "2009 School Achievement Table for Special/Express Course". Ministry of Education. http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/files/2010/moa-annex-e1.pdf.
- ^ "CV-Lee Yi Shyan". http://www.parliament.gov.sg/AboutUs/Org-MP-CV-LeeYiShyan.htm.
- ^ http://www2.singaporebookofrecords.com/singapore_records_individual.php?id=NjAwMDAwMDAzMg==
United States Asia and the Pacific Europe and Africa
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Stella Maris High School — is an all girls, private, Roman Catholic high school on the Rockaway Peninsula in Queens, New York. It is located within the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. People who attend this school say this is a small school where big things happen .… … Wikipedia
Maris Stella School — is a private Roman Catholic day school for girls from four to eighteen years old (grades 0 12 or pre primary, primary and secondary phases), located on the Berea in Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. It was founded on May 22 1899 by the Holy… … Wikipedia
Davao Central High School — Oldest Chinese School in Philippine Cities Metro Manila Philippine Tiong Se Academy Baguio City Baguio Patriotic High School Legaspi City Legaspi Chong Hua Institute of Technology Iloilo City … Wikipedia
Northlands Girls' High School — NGHS is an all girls school situated in the suburb of Durban North, South Africa. It has a strong relationship with its brother school, Northwood School for boys. NGHS, the first secondary school to be built in Durban North, was originally called … Wikipedia
Durban Girls' High School — Motto Bravely, Faithfully, Happily (Fortiter, Feliciter, Fideliter) Established 1882 Type State school Girls Affiliations Brother school is Glenwood High School for Boys … Wikipedia
Davao Christian High School — (DCHS) is a Filipino Chinese high school in Davao City, Philippines. It was founded in 1953 by the Davao Evangelical Church. References ^ Dulay, Ana Felicia (2003 02 17). Davao Christian High School: 50 years and mov … Wikipedia
Philippine Science High School Central Visayas Campus — (CVisC) is a campus of the Philippine Science High School System, a specialized public high school in the Philippines. The PSHS CVisC is the youngest Campus of the Philippine Science High School System.It was established in 2006, and became the… … Wikipedia
Durban High School — (D.H.S.) Location Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa Information Type All Boys Public School(state) Motto Deo Fretus (In God We Trust) Established … Wikipedia
Mathunjwa High School — is a public (government funded) school in Vryheid, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. The student body is not well off (according to the Principal, some half of the students could not afford the R100 school fee), however the school has consistently… … Wikipedia
Ohlange High School — is a secondary school in Inanda, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. It was founded in 1901 as the Zulu Christian Industrial School by John Langalibalele Dube (later first president of the African National Congress) . Dube had been in contact with… … Wikipedia