Disclaimer Studio album by Seether Released August 20, 2002 Recorded 2001–2002 in Los Angeles, California Genre Post-grunge, alternative metal Length 45:06 Label Wind-up Producer Jay Baumgardner Seether chronology Fragile
(as Saron Gas)
Singles from Disclaimer Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Rolling Stone  This table needs to be expanded using prose. See the guideline for more information.
Disclaimer is the major label debut album by post-grunge band Seether, released in 2002. It features three successful singles which would remain some of the band's most well known songs. After the reworking of "Broken" gained significant popularity, the album would be remastered and remixed slightly in 2004 as Disclaimer II with eight extra tracks.
Background and release
A great deal of pre-production took place in South Africa with supervision from a Wind-Up representative. It continued in New York before the album recording sessions began in Los Angeles. Veteran session drummer Josh Freese filled the role in studio before an audition took place at Leads Rehearsal Studio. Among sixteen others, Nick Oshiro auditioned and joined the band in 2002. Seether would also enlist guitarist Patrick Callahan in fall that year after performing alongside his then current band in Philadelphia.
Disclaimer was released with ten different cover variations. These feature images from the "Fine Again" music video with people holding signs depicting a negative outlook or a poor situation in life. The concept to implement it through the album cover was headed by the video's director, Paul Feeder. According to bassist Dale Stewart:
- "[Feeder] came up with the idea of the people bearing their souls and holding up the signs and we thought it was a good concept. It's kind of like a thread that runs through the whole album, the fragility, or whatever you want to call it, you know in people. People are always screwed up about something, even if they act like they're not."
In regards to recording and single output, the band allegedly faced a considerable deal of label pressure compared to future albums. According to a reflective Shaun Morgan in 2005:
- "...With Disclaimer, we were still pretty green and all the say-so was made for us. We really didn’t have much and most of those decisions, I felt, were bad ones. Last time around we had a manager from South Africa. She wasn’t very good at what she was doing and she was letting [the record label] walk all over us."
Disclaimer gained comparison to grunge acts of the early 1990s, particularly the angst vocal styles of Shaun Morgan and Nirvana's Kurt Cobain. The album features an overall moodier approach than future Seether albums which would be decidedly heavier.
Touring and promotion
Seether began extensive touring in promotion of Disclaimer in July 2002. They performed alongside the likes of Our Lady Peace into the following year. Touring with Evanescence in 2004 would lead to the reworking of the little known ballad "Broken" and the band's subsequent crossover success.
Beginning with the sorrowful "Fine Again" in fall 2002, a total of three singles were released from Disclaimer. The lead single was followed by a similarly melancholy "Driven Under" in early 2003 and finally the more aggressive "Gasoline" later that year. Each song also had a music video which gained substantial airplay on MTV2.
- "Gasoline" – 2:49
- "69 Tea" – 3:31
- "Fine Again" – 4:04
- "Needles" – 3:26
- "Driven Under" – 4:34
- "Pride" – 4:07
- "Sympathetic" – 4:07
- "Your Bore" – 3:53
- "Fade Away" – 3:53
- "Pig" – 3:22
- "Fuck It" – 2:58
- "Broken" - 4:21
- Shaun Morgan – lead vocals, lead & rhythm guitar
- Dale Stewart – bass, backing vocals
- Josh Freese – drums
Chart (2002) Peak
The Billboard 200 92
Region Certification Sales/shipments United States (RIAA) Gold 500,000^
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- ^ Taylor, Jason D.. Disclaimer (album) at Allmusic. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- ^ Cherry, Robert (September 19, 2002). "Seether: Disclaimer: Music review". Rolling Stone (RS 905). Archived from the original on January 31, 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090131225606/http://rollingstone.com/artists/seether/albums/album/197315/review/6067504/disclaimer. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- ^ a b Interview with Dale Stewart, Nick Oshiro, and Pat from Seether (November 2002). Retrieved on 1-29-11.
- ^ One Cold Night (Liner notes). Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Wind-Up Records.
- ^ Perlman, Jason Interview with Shaun Morgan Ferrante's Power Equipment (2005). Retrieved on 1-29-11.
- ^ "Disclaimer - Seether". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/#/album/seether/disclaimer/539621.
- ^ "American album certifications – Disclaimer – Seether". Recording Industry Association of America. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?artist=%22Seether%22. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
DemosSaron Gas 2 Track Demo • Saron Gas 4 Track Demo • Tied My Hands (as Saron Gas) Studio albums Live albums EPs5 Songs • Seether • Rhapsody Originals – Seether Compilation albumsITunes Originals – Seether Singles Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Disclaimer (álbum) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Disclaimer Álbum de Seether Publicación 20 de agosto de 2002 Grabación 2001 2002 … Wikipedia Español
Disclaimer (album) — Disclaimer est le deuxième album du groupe Seether sorti en 2002. Liste des chansons Gasoline 2:49 69 Tea 3:31 Fine Again 4:04 Needles 3:25 Driven Under 4:33 Pride 4:09 Sympathetic 4:08 Your Bore 3:52 Fade Away 3:52 Pig 3:20 Fuck It 2:58 Broken 4 … Wikipédia en Français
Disclaimer (альбом) — Disclaimer … Википедия
Disclaimer — This article is about legal disclaimers in general. For the Wikipedia disclaimer, please see Wikipedia:General disclaimer. For the Seether album see Disclaimer (album) This is a volleyball court in a business park in Goleta, California, USA. A… … Wikipedia
Disclaimer II — Studio album by Seether Released June 15, 2004 … Wikipedia
Disclaimer II — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Disclaimer II Álbum de Seether Publicación 15 de junio del 2004 Género(s) Har … Wikipedia Español
Disclaimer II — est une compilation du groupe Seether sorti en 2004, c est un réenregistrement de l album Disclaimer I avec des pistes supplémentaires. Liste des chansons Gasoline 2:48 69 Tea 3:32 Fine Again 4:05 Needles 3:27 Driven Under 4:33 Pride 4:07… … Wikipédia en Français
Disclaimer I — Disclaimer est le deuxième album du groupe Seether sorti en 2002. Liste des chansons Gasoline 2:50 69 Tea 3:32 Fine Again 4:04 Needles 3:26 Driven Under 4:34 Pride 4:08 Sympathetic 4:10 Your Bore 3:53 Fade Away 3:53 Pig 3:20 Fuck It 2:57 Broken 4 … Wikipédia en Français
Disclaimer — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Disclaimer est une chanson du groupe The Offspring présente sur l album Ixnay on the Hombre sorti en 1997. Disclaimer est un album du groupe Seether sorti … Wikipédia en Français
Magazine (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Magazine Type = Album Artist = Heart Released = First release: April, 1977 Second release: April 22, 1978 Recorded = 1975 and 1976 partially re recorded and re mixed, 1978 Genre = Hard rock Length = 39:13 Label = Mushroom… … Wikipedia