Robert A. Freitas Jr. is a Senior Research Fellow, one of [http://www.imm.org/#IMMpeople four researchers] at the nonprofit foundation
Institute for Molecular Manufacturing(IMM) in Palo Alto, California. He holds a 1974 Bachelor's degree majoring in both physicsand psychologyfrom Harvey Mudd College, and a 1978 Juris Doctor( J.D.) degree from Santa Clara University. He has written more than 150 technical papers, book chapters, or popular articles on a diverse set of scientific, engineering, and legal topics. He co-edited the 1980 NASAfeasibility analysis of self-replicating space factories and later authored the first detailed technical design study of a hypothetical medical nanorobotever published in a refereed medical journal.
In 1977-78 Robert Freitas created the concept
Sentience Quotient(SQ) as a way to describe the information processing rate in living organisms or computers(For a discussion see "Xenopsychology" linked below, first published in the April 1984 edition of [http://www.analogsf.com Analog Science Fiction and Fact] magazine).
Freitas is authoring "
Nanomedicine", the first multiple-book-length technical discussion of the potential medical applications of hypothetical molecular nanotechnologyand hypothetical medical nanorobotics. Volume I was published in October 1999 by [http://www.landesbioscience.com/ Landes Bioscience] while Freitas was a Research Fellow at the Institute for Molecular Manufacturing . He published Volume IIA in October 2003 with Landes Bioscience while serving as a Research Scientistat [http://www.zyvex.com/ Zyvex] Corp., a nanotechnology company headquartered in Richardson, Texas, during 2000-2004. Freitas is now completing Nanomedicine Volumes IIB and III and is consulting on hypothetical diamond mechanosynthesisand hypothetical molecular assemblerdesign at IMM.
Also in 2004, Robert Freitas and
Ralph Merklecoauthored and published [http://www.MolecularAssembler.com Kinematic Self-Replicating Machines] , the first survey of the field of physical and hypothetical self-replicating machines ever published. The book is [http://www.molecularassembler.com/KSRM.htm available online] in HTML format. In 2006, Freitas and Merkle co-founded the [http://www.MolecularAssembler.com/Nanofactory Nanofactory Collaboration] , a research program to develop the first diamondoid nanofactory.
In 2006, Freitas was awarded
Lifeboat Foundation's [http://lifeboat.com/ex/guardian2006 Guardian Award] , and he received the [http://www.foresight.org/nanodot/?p=2576 2007 Foresight Prize in Communication] from the Foresight Nanotech Institute.
* "Robert A. Freitas Jr.", Nanomedicine, Volume I: Basic Capabilities (Landes Bioscience, 1999) ISBN 1-57059-645-X
* "Robert A. Freitas", Nanomedicine, Vol. IIA: Biocompatibility (Landes Bioscience, 2003) ISBN 1-57059-700-6
* "Robert A. Freitas, Ralph C. Merkle", Kinematic Self-Replicating Machines (Landes Bioscience, 2004) ISBN 1-57059-690-5
* "Robert A. Freitas", Nanomedicine: Biocompatibility (S Karger Pub, 2004) ISBN 3-8055-7722-2
K. Eric Drexler
Ray Kurzweil(a colleague of sorts)
* [http://www.rfreitas.com/ Robert Freitas's website] (including his [http://www.rfreitas.com/index.htm#Publications publications] )
* [http://www.nanomedicine.com Nanomedicine website] Freitas' Nanomedicine book series on medical nanorobotics, freely available online
* [http://www.imm.org/ Institute for Molecular Manufacturing website]
* [http://www.foresight.org/Nanomedicine/Respirocytes.html A paper on Respirocytes (artificial red cells)] by Freitas (first medical nanorobot design paper ever published)
* [http://www.rfreitas.com/Nano/Microbivores.htm A paper on Microbivores (artificial white cells)] by Freitas
* [http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/Xenopsychology.htm Xenopsychology] (including the Sentience Quotient) by Freitas
* [http://www.molecularassembler.com/ Molecular assembler website]
* 1980 NASA Study edited by Freitas
* [http://www.MolecularAssembler.com/KSRM.htm Kinematic Self-Replicating Machines] first survey of field, by Freitas and Merkle
* [http://www.nanotech-now.com/whos-who.htm Who's Who in the Nanospace]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Freitas — is a commom surname in the Portuguese language. It may refer to:PeopleGeneral*Afonso Cláudio de Freitas Rosa, Brazilian politician *Antonio A. de Freitas, Portuguese immunologist *Chris de Freitas, New Zealand environmental and climate scientist… … Wikipedia
Robert A. Freitas — Jr. est un chercheur et un ingénieur américain, spécialiste de la nanotechnologie, et travaillant au sein de la fondation Institute for Molecular Manufacturing installée à Palo Alto, en Californie. Il obtient en 1974 sa B.A en physique et en… … Wikipédia en Français
Freitas — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Acelino Freitas (* 1975), brasilianischer Boxer Aelton Freitas (* 1961), brasilianischer Politiker Chantal de Freitas (* 1967), deutsche Schauspielerin Duarte Freitas, (* 1966), portugiesischer Politiker… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Robert Wagner — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Wagner. Robert Wagner … Wikipédia en Français
Duarte Freitas — (born August 10, 1966 in São Roque do Pico, Azores) is a Portuguese politician and Member of the European Parliament for the Social Democratic Party–People s Party coalition; part of the European People s Party–European Democrats group.… … Wikipedia
Acelino Freitas — Infobox Boxer name = Acelino Freitas image size=150px realname = Acelino Freitas nickname = Popó weight = Lightweight nationality = flagicon|BRA Brazilian birth date = birth date and age|1975|9|21|mf=y death date = birth place = Bahia, Brazil… … Wikipedia
Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum — Former names UConn Ice Arena Location Storrs, CT Broke ground 1996 Opened November 7, 1998 Owner University of Connecticut … Wikipedia
Makoa Freitas — Date of birth: November 23, 1979 (1979 11 23) (age 31) Place of birth: Honolulu, HI Career information Position(s): Of … Wikipedia
Paradoxe de Fermi — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Fermi. Le radiotélescope Very Large Array dans le Nouveau Mexique (États Unis), haut lieu du … Wikipédia en Français
Search for extraterrestrial intelligence — The search for extraterrestrial intelligence is sometimes abbreviated as SETI. For other uses, see SETI (disambiguation). Screen shot of the screensaver for SETI@home, a distributed computing project in which volunteers donate idle computer power … Wikipedia