Most PowerEdge servers use the x86 architecture. The early exceptions to this, the PowerEdge 3250, PowerEdge 7150, and PowerEdge 7250, used Intel's Itanium processor, but Dell abandoned Itanium in 2005 after failing to find adoption in the marketplace. The partnership between Intel and Dell remained close, with Intel remaining the exclusive source of processors in Dell's servers until 2006. In May 2006 Dell announced that it also intended to develop servers using AMD Opteron processors. The first Opteron-based PowerEdge systems, the PowerEdge 6950 and the PowerEdge SC1435, appeared in October 2006
PowerEdge machines come configured as tower, rack-mounted, or blade servers. Dell uses a consistent chip-set across servers in the same generation regardless of packaging, allowing for a common set of drivers and system-images.
OEMs and VARs also offer solutions based on PowerEdge servers. Loaded with custom software and with minor cosmetic changes, Dell's servers form the underlying hardware in certain appliances from IronPort, Google, Exinda Networks, and Enterasys.
In 2007 the PowerEdge line accounted for approximately 15% of Dell's overall revenue from computer-hardware sales.. In recent years Dell has been transitioning from a pure hardware vendor to a solutions-provider and services company, as evidenced, for example, by the acquisition of Perot Systems and KACE Networks and the setup of a special global services department within Dell
PowerEdge RAID Controller
Among the standard hardware components of a server, note Dell's proprietary PowerEdge-specific PERC (PowerEdge RAID Controller). The related software in the PERC Fault Management Suite offers facilities such as the Background Patrol read, which aims to fix bad sectors on online RAID disks running under some of the more recent PERC controllers.
Model naming convention
Since the introduction of the Generation 10 servers Dell uses a new standarized method to name their servers, the Dell PowerEdge naming convention.
The name of each server-model is a 4 character code. The first character, a letter indicates the type of server: R for 19-inch rack models, the M for modular indicates a blade server while the T for tower indicates a stand-alone server.
This letter is then followed by 3 digits:
The first digit refers to the number of sockets in the system: 1-3: one socket, 4-7: two sockets, 8,9: four sockets
The middle digit refers to the generation: a 0 for Generation 10 and the 1 for Generation 11
And the 3rd and last digit indicates the make of the CPU: a 0 for Intel processors and the 5 for AMD. For example: The Dell PowerEdge M610 is a two-socket server of the 11th generation using an Intel CPU while the R605 is a two-socket AMD-based rack-server of the 10th generation.
- List of Dell PowerEdge Servers
- ^ Dell to Phase Out Computers Using Intel's Itanium
- ^ Press Release — Dell's International And Enterprise Business Drives First Quarter Revenue Growth
- ^ Press Release — Dell Unveils Four- and Two-Socket Servers
- ^ Dell Extends the Scalable Enterprise with Eighth-Generation PowerEdge Servers
- ^ Dell Case-studies on the IronPort Email-security Appliance:Partners in Stopping Crime, February 2006, retrieved 28 June, 2011
- ^ Dell Case-studies on the Google Search Appliance: - In Search Mode, June 2007, retrieved 28 June, 2011
- ^ ITWorld Canada website: Quad CPUs gives Exinda WAN optimization a kick, 21 July, 2010, visited 28 June, 2011
- ^ Dell Case-studies: Enterasys- Serving up Security
- ^ Press Release — Dell Reports Preliminary Revenue of $14.4 Million
- ^ Blog of Kristen Mathis What Dell-Perot merger means for IT, 28-2-2010, visited 28 June, 2011
- ^ PCWorld Dell Launches Dedicated Services Organization, December 2009, visited 28 June, 2011
- ^ "Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC)". http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/pvaul/topics/en/us/raid_controller?c=us&l=en&cs=555. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- ^ Habas, Drew; John Sieber (February 2006). "Background Patrol read for Dell PowerEdge RAID Controllers" (PDF). Dell Power Solutions. Dell Inc. pp. 73–75. http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps1q06-20050212-Habas.pdf. Retrieved 2008-07-20. "a proactive tool [...] to help avert [...] data problems by fixing the bad sectors when all of the drive array members are online and redundant."
- ^ Dell SCSI Storage Solution Team (2005-11-17). "A Reference Guide for Optimizing Dell SCSI Solutions" (PDF). Dell. p. 33. http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/stor-sys/spv22xs/en/engr_brf/Stor_Sol.pdf. Retrieved 2009-09-14. "Patrol Read is a preventative maintenance background operation (available only on PERC 3 (except PERC 3/DI), PERC 4 and PERC 4e controller families running 3.0 and higher firmware)."
- ^ Infoworld website Dell revamps Poweredge line, 12 November 2007, visited 28 June, 2011
- ^ Serverwatch website Spotlight on Dell, 15 May, 2008, visited 28 June, 2011
- Dell Server Documentation
- Dell History
- Using Tower form poweredges on their sides in a rack
- Review Dell PowerEdge R810
- Review Dell PowerEdge R815
Dell Board of directors Computers Servers Thin clients Smartphones Acquisitions Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dell PowerEdge — Serveurs PowerEdge 2850 en Rack. PowerEdge est le nom de la gamme de serveurs du constructeur informatique Dell. Cette gamme représente 15% du chiffre d affaires global de Dell en 2007, l année du lancement de plusieurs nouveaux modèles[1 … Wikipédia en Français
Dell Optiplex — Un Dell Optiplex GX320 Dell Optiplex est la gamme professionnelle d ordinateurs de bureaux vendue par la marque Dell. Il s agit en fait d un mot valise, composé de optimal et de plex (formé d unités). Sommaire … Wikipédia en Français
Dell DRAC Passwords — Summary = Dell DRAC management cards require you log into them with a password. With Drac 4 the default superuser was root in the first index slot. With DRAC 5 they added Administrator to index 1 and moved root to index 2, which changes the… … Wikipedia
Dell — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Dell, Inc. Eslogan Yours Is Here Uniquely You (Australia) Easy as DELL (Europa) Tipo Privada NASDAQ: DELL … Wikipedia Español
Dell OptiPlex — 755 (Ultra Small Form Factor), mounted on the back of a monitor Dell, Inc. targets its OptiPlex line of desktop computers for sale into the corporate, government and education markets. These systems typically contain Intel CPUs, beginning with… … Wikipedia
Dell Inspiron — Logo Dell s Inspiron computer product line started as a range of laptop computers targeted at the entry level, budget, a Mobile Celeron or Mobile Pentium II processor with SDRAM, and had a high starting price of $2,799. Today, though, the… … Wikipedia
Dell XPS — Logo Dell XPS ( Xtreme Performance System) is a line of gaming and performance computers manufactured by Dell Computers. Contents 1 History … Wikipedia
Dell Latitude — D630 Latitude is Dell s business laptop brand, designed and manufactured mainly by Compal and Quanta. Contents 1 Overview and product type … Wikipedia
Dell Studio — 1535 Dell s Studio brand is a range of laptops and desktops targeted at the mainstream consumer market. The computers sit above Dell s Inspiron and below the XPS consumer lines in price and specifications … Wikipedia
Dell Incorporated — Dell Pour les articles homonymes, voir Dell (homonymie). Logo de Dell Créatio … Wikipédia en Français