- Food science
Food science is a discipline concerned with all technical aspects of
food, beginning with harvesting or slaughtering, and ending with its cookingand consumption. It is considered one of the agricultural sciences, and is usually considered distinct from the field of nutrition.
Examples of the activities of food scientists include the development of new food products, design of processes to produce these foods, choice of packaging materials,
shelf-lifestudies, sensory evaluation of the product with trained expert panels or potential consumers, as well as microbiological and chemical testing. Food scientists at universitiesmay study more fundamental phenomena that are directly linked to the production of particular food product and its properties. In the U.S., food science is typically studied at land-grant universities.
Food science is a highly interdisciplinary
applied science. It incorporates concepts from many different fields including microbiology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, and many others.
Some of the subdisciplines of food science include:
Food safety- the causes, prevention and communication dealing with foodborne illness
Food microbiology- the positive and negative interactions between micro-organisms and foods
Food preservation- the causes and prevention of quality degradation
Food engineering- the industrial processes used to manufacture food
Product development- the invention of new food products
Sensory analysis- the study of how food is perceived by the consumer's senses
Food chemistry- the molecular composition of food and the involvement of these molecules in chemical reactions
Food packaging- the study of how packagingis used to preserve food after it has been processed and contain it through distribution.
Molecular gastronomy- the scientific investigation of processes in cooking, social & artistic gastronomical phenomena
Food technology- the technological aspects
Food physics- the physical aspects of foods (such as viscosity, creaminess, and texture)
The main organization in the
United Statesregarding food science and food technologyis the Institute of Food Technologists(IFT), headquarted in Chicago, Illinois, which is the US member organisation of the International Union of Food Science and Technology(IUFoST). The European national organisations are organised into the European Federation of Food Science and Technology(EFFoST), based at Wageningen University, the Netherlands.
Some popular books on some aspects of food science or kitchen science have been written by
Harold McGeeand Howard Hillman.
In the October 2006 issue of "Food Technology", IFT President
Dennis R. Heldmannoted that the IFT Committee on Higher Education gave the current definition of food science as follows: "Food Science is the discipline in which the engineering, biological, and physical sciences are used to study the nature of foods, the causes of deterioration, the principles underlying food processing, and the improvement of foods for the consuming public." [Heldman, Dennis R. "IFT and the Food Science Profession." "Food Technology." October 2006. p. 11.]
* [http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/705600/description#description Emerging Technologies for Food Processing] , Elsevier, 792 pp., ISBN 978-0-12-676757-5 (2005)
Food and Nutrition Service
* [http://www.food-info.net Food-Info] Largest consumer oriented information on food science and technology in many languages
* [http://www.foodscience.csiro.au Food Science Australia]
* [http://www.ift.org/ Institute of Food Technologists] -
* [http://www.ifst.org/ Institute of Food Science and Technology] -
* [http://www.saafost.org.za/ South African Association of Food Scientists and Technologists]
* [http://www.iufost.org/ International Union of Food Science and Technology] - headquartered in
* [http://www.ansto.gov.au/ansto/bragg/projects/food_science.html Food Science Programme at the Bragg Institute] -
* [http://www.effost.org European Federation of Food Science and Technology]
* [http://www.foodscience.psu.edu/outreach/fun_food_science.html Penn State Food Science Experiments and Learning Opportunities for Students of All Ages!]
* [http://www.ncsu.edu/foodscience/ Department of Food, Bioprocessing and Nutrition Sciences at North Carolina State University]
* [http://www.foodsci.purdue.edu/ Food Science Department at Purdue University]
* [http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/programs/food_science_food_safety.html Rutgers NJAES Food Science Continuing Education Courses]
* [http://en.ifv.life.ku.dk/ Department of Food Science at Copenhagen University]
* [http://sfs.wsu.edu/ Bi-state School of Food Science, Washington State University and University of Idaho]
* [http://foodsci.wisc.edu/ Department of Food Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
food science — the study of the nature of foods and the changes that occur in them naturally and as a result of handling and processing. [1965 70] * * * food science, the technical study of the preparation and processing of foods (sometimes including the… … Useful english dictionary
food science — the study of the nature of foods and the changes that occur in them naturally and as a result of handling and processing. [1965 70] * * * … Universalium
Food Science and Technology Abstracts — (FSTA) is part of the International Food Information Service founded in 1968. It is located in Reading, United Kingdom. It is an index of scientific literature related to food science and technology with abstract supplements of each articles… … Wikipedia
Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts — What is now the Department of Food Science at the University of Massachusetts was officially started on April 27, 1918. This preceded all other Food Science departments in the United States by over a year; the next closest being the Oregon State… … Wikipedia
Journal of Food Science — Infobox Journal discipline = Food science abbreviation = JFS or J. Food Sci. website = http://members.ift.org/IFT/Pubs/JournalofFoodSci/ publisher = Institute of Food Technologists country = USA history = 1936 to present ISSN =0022 1147 CODEN… … Wikipedia
International Union of Food Science and Technology — The International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST) (pronounced eye you fost ) is an international non governmental organization established in 1962 to devote the advancement of food science and technology. Its has as its members… … Wikipedia
European Federation of Food Science and Technology — The European Federation of Food Science and Technology (EFFoST) is a European based non governmental organization devoted to the advancement of food science and technology. It consists of eighty different societies in 21 different European… … Wikipedia
International Review of Food Science and Technology — The International Review of Food Science and Technology is a British yearly food science and technology publication done by Sovereign Publications in the United Kingdom for the International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST).Its… … Wikipedia
The Journal of Food Science Education — (usually abbreviated as JSFE ) is an American online peer reviewed scientific journal published by the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) in Chicago, Illinois. Created in 2002, it is the first scientific electronic journal of IFT that is… … Wikipedia
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety — is an online peer reviewed scientific journal published by the Institute of Food Technologists (Chicago, Illinois) that was established in 2002. Its main focus is food science and food safety. This includes nutrition, genetics, food microbiology … Wikipedia