DIY Network Launched December 31, 1999 Owned by Scripps Networks Interactive Picture format 480i (SDTV)
Headquarters Knoxville, Tennessee, United States Sister channel(s) Cooking Channel
Great American Country
Website http://www.diynetwork.com Availability Satellite DirecTV Channel 230
Channel 1230 (On Demand)
Dish Network Channel 111 (SD/HD)
Comcast 121 Cable Available on most cable systems Check Local Listings for channels
Television stations air local versions with local hosts with segments produced by the network. Branded DIY Network programming is also broadcast in Japan and the Philippines. The cable network reaches 50 million households in the US.
The shows carried over the network cover the gamut of various activities which are capable of being performed by amateurs at home. These include:
- Auto repairs, ranging from simple repairs such as adding stereo speakers, all the way to engine rebuilding.
- Contracting by homeowners, how families helped build, or acted as General Contractor and supervised the construction of their new homes.
- Home repairs, ranging from simple activities such as painting, minor hole filling, and drywall repairs, to more complicated procedures such as door, window and wall addition, removal and replacement, all the way to roof repair.
- Jewelry making
- Motorcycle and motorbike repairs and upgrades
- Plumbing repairs including installation of major appliances such as garbage disposals, dishwashers and refrigerators having in-door ice and water
- Quilting and quilt repairs
- Recreational vehicle usage and maintenance
- Deconstruction : Testing home products for safety and eco friendly bldg. supplies.
- Video production including taping and editing one's home videos.
The network also carries reruns of the series This Old House, originally a PBS series about families who had their homes remodeled or rehabilitated, and as recently as late-2009, some older HGTV archive programming, including the Carol Duvall Show.
DIY was the second network to be launched by Scripps, following the success of HGTV. In fact, for the first two years the programming consisted of mixed and mashed clips of old HGTV programs while new content was developed. The network offered a large amount of broadband content (originally project worksheets and instruction pages for printout by users, later video clips and more) to create demand for and help cable operators launch their nascent broadband services. The broadband portal was first DIYnet.com, and has since been changed to DIYnetwork.com
DIY says they target a more male audience than HGTV (which is more female), although both channels have offerings which appeal to both.
The channel has announced it will launch in high definition on May 1, 2010 on "two prominent distributors", and it will add 17 new original programs by year end. One of the "prominent distributors" turned out to be Dish Network, which launched DIY HD on May 12, 2010.
AT&T U-verse Carriage Dispute
AT&T U-verse dropped Food Network, Cooking Channel, HGTV, DIY Network and Great American Country on November 5, 2010 due to a carriage dispute. But on November 7, 2010, the carriage dispute was resolved.
- ^ If I Had a Hammer, I Wouldn’t Watch TV New York Times July 20, 2008
- ^ 2010 Cable Upfronts: DIY Goes HD In May - Scripps Network Service To Unveil 17 New Series In 2010, Multichannel News, April 20, 2010
- ^ DISH Network Boosts Industry-Leading HD Lineup With Six New Channels
- ^ AT&T's U-verse Drops Food Network, HGTV and Other Scripps Networks, Chicago Tribune, November 5, 2010
- ^ Food Network, HGTV, Back on U-verse, Chicago Tribune, November 7, 2010
- ^ AT&T U-verse, Scripps Reconnect on Carriage Contract, MultiChannel News, November 7, 2010
Corporate Leadership:Kenneth W. Lowe (Founder & CEO) · John Lansing (President & COO) Cable Television: Websites:Food2.com · Food.com · FrontDoor.com · HGTVPro.com Annual revenue: $1.5 billion USD (2008) · Employees: Unknown · Stock symbol: NYSE: SNI · Website: Scripps Networks Interactive
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
DIY Network — Création 31 décembre 1999 Propriétaire Scripps Networks Interactive Langue anglais Pays … Wikipédia en Français
DIY Network (Canada) — DIY Network DIY Network logo Launched October 19, 2009 Owned by Shaw Media (80.24% managing partner) Scripps Networks (19.76%) Picture format … Wikipedia
DIY (disambiguation) — DIY may refer to: Do it yourself, a term used by various communities that focus on people creating things for themselves without the aid of paid professionals DIY birth, the process of intentionally giving birth without the assistance of a… … Wikipedia
DIY ethic — The DIY ethic refers to the ethic of self sufficiency through completing tasks oneself as opposed to having others who are more experienced or able complete them for one s behalf. It promotes the idea that an ordinary person can learn to do more… … Wikipedia
DIY audio — An example of DIY audio: a functioning battery operated DAC (Digital to analog converter) before installation in a box case DIY Audio means do it yourself audio. Rather than buying a piece of possibly expensive audio equipment, such as a high end … Wikipedia
Network 21 (television station) — Although there were (and are) many pirate radio stations in London, Network 21 was one of the few pirate television stations to operate in Britain. Despite only broadcasting for half an hour on a Friday nights in a part of the UHF waveband near… … Wikipedia
Lifestyle Network — Infobox TV channel name = Lifestlye Network logofile = lifestylenetwork.png logosize = 100px caption = The New Lifestyle Network Logo (2008) launch = July 1999 network = ABS CBN owner = Creative Programs, Inc. (subsidiary of ABS CBN Broadcasting… … Wikipedia
List of Dish Network channels in the United States — This is a list of the channels receivable from Dish Network. Contents 1 Channels 1 199 2 Channels 200 299 3 Channels 300 399 … Wikipedia
Food Network — Infobox TV channel name= Food Network logofile=Food Network Logo.svg logoalt= logosize=130px slogan= launch=November 23 1993 founder= Jack C. Clifford owner= The E.W. Scripps Company country= United States headquarters= New York City, New York… … Wikipedia
Global Television Network — Type Réseau de télévision Pays Canada Disponibilité Nationale, nord des É. U., et É. U. via le câble numérique … Wikipédia en Français