Radhanath Swami Religion Gaudiya Vaishnavism, Hinduism Other name(s) Richard Slavin. Personal Born December 7, 1950
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Religious career Initiation Diksa–1973, Sannyasa–1982 Post GBC–1994, Initiating guru–1994 Website http://www.radhanathswami.com
Radhanath Swami (born December 7, 1950) is a Gaudiya Vaishnava guru and a member of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). He works largely from Mumbai in India and also travels extensively throughout Europe and America. He has been instrumental in the founding of the Mumbai Bhaktivedanta hospital. He is an ISKCON guru and a member of the Governing Body Commission of ISKCON. Steven J. Rosen described Radhanath Swami as a "saintly person respected by the mass of ISKCON devotees today".
Born as Richard Slavin, he studied a number of religious paths such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam. At the age of 19 he began traveling through Europe and the Middle-East, eventually settling for over a year in the Himalayas. Much of this time he spent devoted to the tradition of Shaivism and was living as a renunciate Shaivite in India when he first met with Krishna devotees near Delhi. Through contact with the devotees in Vrindavan, and after receiving name Ratim Krishna from Swami Bon Radhanath began to focus exclusively on his spiritual path in Krishna Consciousness. In 1971 Radhanath Swami observed A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada during the ISKCON Cross Maidan festival in Mumbai. After leaving India, Radhanath Swami returned to the United States where he joined the New Vrindaban ISKCON farm community in West Virginia during July 1972. There he accepted initiation from A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada in February 1973.
Radha Gopinath temple
In later years Radhanath has been essential for many highly successful Mumbai projects associated with Radha Gopinath Temple in Chowpatty, which was founded in 1986 and joined ISKCON in 1994. Radhanath Swami also has been instrumental in the founding of the Mumbai Bhaktivedanta hospital.
The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami
Radhanath Swami wrote his autobiography on the request of his friend and god-brother Bhakti Tirtha Swami who from his deathbed asked him to share his story. The book "The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami" is the story of how Radhanath Swami grew up in a Jewish family in Chicago, Illinois and through his journey of prayer was led through the 60's counter-culture movement in America into Europe, walking and hitch-hiking all the way through Europe to the Middle East and into India. Along the way he met many people who would share their wisdom with him, encouraging him on his search for the truth. He stayed with Yogis in Himalayan caves, in Buddhist Monasteries, Jewish Synagogues, and Christian Churches. He met many teachers and practitioners of spirituality and learned from them. The book details his adventures along the journey.
Francis Xavier Clooney in his review of the book notes "Like many a spiritual autobiography, the external events and details turn out to be the setting for the author’s inner quest. His journey is a humbling, learning to be poor, a series of tests that push the author toward living by faith alone. Like any pilgrim, he does not see all of this along the way, but in retrospect sees how he was being quietly, insistently drawn toward God all the time".
Radhanath Swami and Russell Brand
Radhanath Swami has been providing spiritual guidance to the British stand-up comedian and actor Russell Brand. According to The Times report, after meeting with Radhanath Swami Russell Brand stated “He's a beautiful fellow. He's got the answer. I'm a spiritual gent and increasingly that's the level I want to vibrate on, were it not for my crazed lust for sex and glamour.” On another occasion The Times reports him saying “I met this swami, and I said, ‘I’m a bit ridden with egotism and ambition, I’m riddled with it, I’m alive with it, I’m crawling with the stuff.’ He said, ‘Don’t worry. It’s a gift from God. Use it in the service of God.’ Except he said Krishna, but I’m anglicising it to make it sound less oooooeeee. . .”
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness
- Bhakti Yoga
- List of ISKCON members and patrons
- ^ Lama 2010
- ^ a b Russell Brand: I'm a spiritual gent with a crazed lust for glamour
- ^ a b Russell Brand seeking guidance from guru
- ^ a b c Dwyer & Cole 2007, pp. 24–25
- ^ 2004, p. 204
- ^ Dwyer & Cole 2007, p. 24
- ^ a b c d e f Prof. Francis X. Clooney, S.J.. "A Hare Krishna Swami Tells All". The National Catholic Weekly (www.americamagazine.org). http://www.americamagazine.org/blog/entry.cfm?blog_id=2&id=20526790-3048-741E-9109927783980030. Retrieved 2009-05-22.
- ^ The Heart and Soul of Radhanath Swami
- ^ Cole, Richard; Dwyer, Graham (2007). The Hare Krishna Movement: Forty Years of Chant and Change. London: I. B. Tauris. pp. 24–25. ISBN 1-84511-407-8.
- ^ Mandala Publishing
- ^ Russell Brand is hot to trot
- Dwyer, Graham; Cole, Richard J. (2007), The Hare Krishna Movement: Forty Years of Chant and Change, I.B. Tauris, ISBN 1845114078, http://books.google.com/books?id=l4cE-nzXLx8C&pg=PA25
- The Journal of Vaishnava Studies 13 (1-2), 2004, http://books.google.com/books?id=R4bXAAAAMAAJ
- Rochford, E. Burke; Bailey, Kendra (2006), "Almost Heaven Leadership, Decline and the Transformation of New Vrindaban", Nova Religio 9 (3): 6–23, http://caliber.ucpress.net/doi/abs/10.1525/nr.2006.9.3.006
- Lokanāth Swami (2001), Festivals: Śrīla Prabhupāda at the Māyāpur-Vr̥ndāvana festivals, Padayātrā Press, ISBN 8190113216, http://books.google.com/books?id=tn_XAAAAMAAJ
- Ramanujan, Sweta (March 17, 2003), "Joining a peace jamboree", The Indian Express, http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=46684
- Ujjayini Das (December 7, 2004), "When Gen Y becomes Gen Why: Hundreds of young single men turn to ISKCON for spiritual guidance", The Indian Express, http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=109424
- Mane, Anuradha (December 8, 2006), "An abode for Krishna", The Indian Express, http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=212362
- India News (September 12, 2007), "Britain's first Hindu school gets planning permission", Indiaedunews.net, http://www.indiaedunews.net/International/Britain%27s%5Ffirst%5FHindu%5Fschool%5Fgets%5Fplanning%5Fpermission%5F2018/
- Indian Express (January 29, 2008), "ISKCON rath yatra evokes big response in Nigdi", The Indian Express, http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/iskcon-rath-yatra-evokes-big-response-in-nigdi/266333/
- Spines, Christine (September 5, 2008), "Russell Brand: VMA Host Brings Anarchy From the U.K.", Entertainment Weekly (1009), http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20222087_2,00.html
- Times (October 16, 2008), "Russell Brand: I'm a spiritual gent with a crazed lust for glamour", The Times, http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/comedy/article4950820.ece
- Van Dril, E. (October 17, 2008), "Russell Brand Seeing a Swami", The Celebrity Cafe, http://www.thecelebritycafe.com/features/20836.html
- Now magazine (October 18, 2008), "Russell Brand seeking guidance from guru", Now magazine, http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/277841/russell-brand-seeking-guidance-from-guru/1/
- Sawyer, Miranda (November 9, 2008), "Brand on the run", The Observer, http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/09/russell-brand-sachsgate
- Virmani, Ashish (August 24, 2009), "An awakening to love", Daily News & Analysis, http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/interview_an-awakening-to-love_1284844
- Lama, Nishal (January 13, 2010), "Story of an American Swami, Radhanath Swami", My Bangalore, http://mybangalore.com/article/0110/story-of-an-american-swami-radhanath-swami-.html#
- Web Newswire (January 18, 2010), "‘The Journey Home’ unveiled", Web Newswire, http://www.webnewswire.com/node/498192
- Mangalorean.com (January 12, 2010), "Cracks seen in Indian Value System: Radhanath Swami", Mangalorean.com, http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstype=local&newsid=164188
- Nadkarni, Vithal C (October 10, 2009), "It is faith that ultimately matters", The Economic Times, http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Cosmic-Uplink/It-is-faith-that-ultimately-matters/articleshow/5108013.cms
- Raote, Rrishi (October 24, 2009), "Monk's quest", Sify.com, http://sify.com/finance/monks-quest-news--books-jkybu6igehc.html
- Chatterjee, Madhusree (August 31, 2009), "Business in spiritual books booms as people look for peace", Bombay News.Net, http://www.bombaynews.net/story/537471
- Radhanath Swami Official Website
- Official Website for The Journey Home – Autobiography of an American Swami
- Talks by Radhanath Swami
- Reviews of Radhanath Swami's Book The Journey Home
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kirtanananda Swami — Kirtanananda Swami, also known as Swami Bhaktipada, [Within ISKCON he is now known as Kirtanananda das, as he is regarded as long fallen from his sannyasa vows of celibacy.] (born September 6, 1937) was the highly controversial charismatic ISKCON … Wikipedia
Bhakti Tirtha Swami — (February 25 1950 ndash;June 27 2005) was an influential guru within the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (commonly known as the Hare Krishnas or ISKCON). He was also the founder and director of the Institute for Applied Spiritual… … Wikipedia
Visnujana Swami — Vishnujana Swami (1948–1976)[dead link], was a disciple of A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, and a sannyasi within the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (commonly known as the Hare Krishnas or ISKCON). Even though he… … Wikipedia
Hansadutta Swami — until 1984, when he gave up sannyasa and became known simply as Hansadutta Dasa (sometimes spelled Hamsaduta, also known as Hans Kary, alias Jack London, was born in Brunswick, Germany on May 27, 1941) is one of the senior disciples of A. C.… … Wikipedia
Sacinandana Swami — is a prominent guru [ [http://www.urjamusic.com/sacinandana swami.htm] Prominnent guru in ISKCON] and swami [ [http://www.iskcon.net.au/sannyasaministry/listing List of Sannyasis in ISKCON April 2008] ISKCON Sannyasa Ministry, Retrieved on 2008… … Wikipedia
Радханатх Свами — В Википедии есть статьи о других людях с такой фамилией, см. Славин. Радханатх Свами Radhanath Swami … Википедия
Governing Body Commission — The Governing Body Commission (GBC) is the managerial authority of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). ISKCON s founder, A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, created the GBC in 1970 and since that time it has met on an… … Wikipedia
Киртанананда Свами — В Википедии есть статьи о других людях с такой фамилией, см. Хэм. Киртанананда Свами Kirtanananda Swami … Википедия
Hindu reform movements — An article related to Hinduism … Wikipedia
Chaitanya Mahaprabhu — Part of … Wikipedia