Backup Exec is
backupsoftware currently developed by Symantec. Backup Exec has a long history of being sold from one company to another. Its earliest roots stretch back to the early 1980s when Maynard Electronicscreated a bundle of software drivers to help sell their tape drive products. [ [http://www.backupexec.com/presskit/BackupExec-history.pdf History of Backup Exec] ] Today, Backup Exec is a data protection solution that provides continuous disk-to-disk-to-tape backup and recovery. Continuous protection is now available for Microsoft Exchange and SQL Server in addition to file servers and workstations, eliminating daily backups and providing point-in-time recovery.
Backup Exec shared the same
Microsoft Tape Formatwith Windows' built-in NTbackup.
* 1982 - Maynard Electronics started. Maynard's software is known as "MaynStream."
* 1989 - Maynard is acquired by
Archive Corp.MaynStream is available for DOS, Windows, Macintosh, OS/2, and NetWare.
* ? -
Quest Development Corporationis independently formed to develop backup software under contract for Symantec.
* 1993 - Archive is acquired by
Conner Peripherals. Conner renames the software "Backup Exec."
* ? - Quest acquired rights to FastBack for Macintosh, and hired its principal author, Tom Chappell, from
Fifth Generation Systems.
* 1994 - Conner creates a subsidiary,
Arcada Software, by acquiring Quest and merging it with their existing software division.
* 1995 - Arcada acquires the
SyTrondivision from Rexon, including their OS/2 backup software.
* 1996 - Conner is acquired by
Seagate Technologyand Arcada is merged into its subsidiary Seagate Software.
* 1999 -
VERITAS Softwareacquires Seagate Software's "Network and Storage Management Group", which included Backup Exec.
* 2005 - Symantec acquired VERITAS, including both Backup Exec and
NetBackup, a completely different backup software package.
* Seagate Backup Exec 7.2, October 1998
* VERITAS Backup Exec 7.3, March 1999
* VERITAS Backup Exec 8.0, January 2000
* VERITAS Backup Exec 8.6, November 2001
* VERITAS Backup Exec 9.0, June 2003
* VERITAS Backup Exec 9.1, December 2003
* VERITAS Backup Exec 10.0, January 2005
* Symantec Backup Exec 10d, September 2005
* Symantec Backup Exec 11d, November 2006 [http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/release_details.jsp?pid=15047 Backup Exec for Windows Servers] ]
* Symantec Backup Exec 12, February 2008 [http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/295530.pdf Backup Exec 11 End-of-life notification] ]
Backup Exec systems have one or more media servers, which move data from one or more locations to a storage medium, such as disk or tape. The data may be from the local system, or from a remote system using a remote agent. The core Backup Exec product can have additional functionality unlocked through the addition of licenses. Available options for version 11d include the ability to back up filesystem snapshots and synthetic backups, and the ability to back up databases such as
Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Serverand Oracle.Multiple media servers can be managed using the Central Admin Server Option.
Newer versions of the software also support Unix, Macintosh, and NDMP clients.
List of backup software
* Backup Exec [http://www.symantec.com/backupexec/index.jsp Product page] at symantec.com.
* [http://go.symantec.com/support/bews-bestpractices Backup Exec 12 Best Practices Guide]
* [http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285233.htm Backup Exec 11d Administrators Guide]
* [http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285779.htm Backup Exec 11d Best Practices Guide Table of Contents]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Backup Exec — Symantec Backup Exec (ранее Veritas Backup Exec) программное обеспечение для резервного копирования и восстановления данных на Windows, Linux и UNIX системах. В 2008 году была выпущена версия Symantec Backup Exec 12.5, в 2010 версия… … Википедия
Veritas Backup Exec — Backup Exec Développeur Veritas Environnement … Wikipédia en Français
Glossary of backup terms — This page is a glossary of backup terms.*backup policy an organisation s procedures and rules for ensuring that adequate amounts and types of backups are made, including suitably frequent testing of the process for restoring the original… … Wikipedia
List of backup software — This is a list of backup software (software that performs data backups). Contents 1 Free software 2 Proprietary 3 See also 4 References … Wikipedia
Symantec — Corporation Type Public (NASDAQ: SYMC) Industry Computer software … Wikipedia
Ghost (software) — Ghost Symantec′s Norton Ghost v.15 home screen Original author(s) Murray Haszard Developer(s) Symantec … Wikipedia
Veritas Software — Infobox Company company name = Veritas Software company company type = Public company, corporation foundation = 1989 location = Mountain View, California, USA key people = Gary Bloom, CEO industry = Computer software revenue = $2.04 billion USD… … Wikipedia
Symantec — Création 1982 Personnages clés John W. Thompson, CEO Peter Norton … Wikipédia en Français
Symantec Corporation — Symantec Logo de Symantec Corporation Création 1982 Personnages clés John W. Thompson, CEO Peter Norton … Wikipédia en Français
Symantec — Corporation Rechtsform Corporation Aktiengesellschaft (USA) ISIN US8715031089 Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia