Donegan performing live at Starland Ballroom.
Background information Birth name Daniel James Donegan Born August 1, 1968
Oak Lawn, Illinois, U.S.
Genres Alternative metal, heavy metal, nu metal, thrash metal Instruments Guitar, keyboard Labels Giant, Intoxication Records, Reprise, Warner Bros. Associated acts Disturbed Website http://www.disturbed1.com
Dan Donegan (born August 1, 1968 in Oak Lawn, Illinois) is an American musician and guitarist for heavy metal band Disturbed. Donegan began playing guitar as a teenager and eventually formed a band called Vandal, which was an '80s-style hair band. Recently, Donegan was added to the guitar show "Chop Shop's" list of "Top 100 Most Complete Guitar Players of All Time" at number 76.
History and personal life
Donegan had very long hair during the early days of Brawl and Disturbed. According to Disturbed's DVD titled M.O.L., Donegan got a job with his father doing construction work. He was required to cut his hair for it, but instead opted to wear a wig to fool his dad and keep his long hair. It worked, and his dad eventually let him keep his long hair. Donegan has a daughter named Maya and a son named Justin.
Technique and style
Donegan is a self-taught guitarist. He uses one handed and two handed tapping in many of his solos, with pull-offs, legatos and hammer-ons, also sometimes using the "flick off" technique, as used in the solo for the song "Indestructible", and in others as well. His heavy riffs and sweep picking are seen in many music videos. He uses his DigiTech Dan Donegan, "The Weapon" for many effects in and out of his solo work. He also combines arpeggios with finger tapping and many other techniques. He is known for shredding in some songs and uses finger vibrato on occasion. He uses the whammy bar in many songs to give it a certain sound effect.
In the video "The Making of Indestructible", he mentions he prefers "tasteful" solos, as opposed to shredding solos that rely primarily on speed. Disturbed's frontman David Draiman mentions "he [Donegan] can rip with the best of them". David also mentions "He's [Donegan] in my opinion you know among the best in existence, and he doesn't give himself enough credit". In the 80's, he was in a hair metal band known as Vandal, where many of his solos were shred guitar solos, but he would incorporate other techniques, which many consider his own style of playing.
Early on with his career with Disturbed, Donegan played Gibson Les Paul Standards and SGs. Then, he switched to play a few Paul Reed Smith models, the Tremonti Model and a PRS Singlecut. In 2005, Washburn Guitars built Donegan his own signature model called the Maya, named after his daughter. For 2010, Dan built a signature guitar with Schecter guitars, that is based on the ultra classic model (his being the ultra DD). Donegan is a fan of GHS Boomer guitar strings and uses the 12-52 gauge set. He also uses Seymour Duncan pickups in his guitars.
- Schecter Ultra Dan Donegan signature model
- Schecter Solo-6 2010 limited edition (used in the studio for Asylum)
- Washburn Maya DD81 signature model (Indestructible)
- Washburn Maya signature model (Ten Thousand Fists)
- PRS Singlecut (Believe)
- PRS Mark Tremonti (Believe)
- Gibson Les Paul Standards (The Sickness)
- Gibson SGs (The Sickness)
- Ibanez Iceman (used in the early days of Disturbed)
- Randall RM4 preamp with 1 "Clean" and 3 "1086" modules into a RT2/50 Power Amp. Has used Randall Cyclone and V-Max heads in the past since 2001, when Dan received an endorsement. Uses Randall R412XLT cabs
- Mesa/Boogie Dual and Triple Rectifier amps with Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 4x12 cabs. Used until his Randall endorsement
- Bogner Ecstasy heads
- Marshall Heads and 4x12 cabinets in the early days
Note: All controlled by a Voodoo Lab Ground Control, except for the Whammy and Wah
- 2 Digitech Dan Donegan "The Weapon" overdrive/effects pedals
- Digitech GSP1101 Preamp
- DigiTech Whammy
- Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (for a lo-fi effect)
- Korg Toneworks 411FX
- Dunlop Custom Shop Rackmount Crybaby with wireless foot control
- 2 Boss NS-2s and 2 ISP Decimators in tandem
- Better Days
- Demo Tape (1994)
- The Sickness (2000)
- Believe (2002)
- Ten Thousand Fists (2005)
- Indestructible (2008)
- Asylum (2010)
- The Lost Children (2011)
- ^ "JIMMY PAGE, JIMI HENDRIX, EDDIE VAN HALEN, STEVE VAI Among 'Chop Shops Top Guitarists". BlabberMouth. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=111000.
- ^ a b Nathan "Karma" Cox (2002) [DVD 2002] (booklet). M.O.L. (Liner notes).
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVnSzbud-lg
- ^ http://guitaredge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=769:disturbed-the-asylum-builder&catid=72:main-page-promo
- ^ http://aes.harmony-central.com/WNAMM10/article/Schecter/Schecter-Guitars-and-Multi-Platinum-Artist-Dan-Donegan-Join-Forces
Disturbed Studio albums Live albumsMusic as a Weapon II · Live & Indestructible Compilation albumsThe Lost Children Demos1998 Demo · 1999 Demo · Black Demo Tape Singles"Stupify" · "Down with the Sickness" · "Voices" · "The Game" · "Prayer" · "Remember" · "Liberate" · "Guarded" · "Stricken" · "Just Stop" · "Land of Confusion" · "Ten Thousand Fists" · "Inside the Fire" · "Perfect Insanity" · "Indestructible" · "The Night" · "Another Way to Die" · "Asylum" · "The Animal" · "Warrior" · "Hell" VideoM.O.L. · Music as a Weapon II · The Making of Indestructible · Indestructible in Germany · Decade of Disturbed Concert toursTen Thousand Fists Tour · Indestructible Tour · Asylum Tour Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dan Donegan — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Dan Donegan Dan Donegan en vivo en el Starland Ballroom Información personal Nombre real … Wikipedia Español
Dan Donegan — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Donegan. Dan Donegan sur scène en 2005 Dan Donegan (né le 1er août 1968 à Oak … Wikipédia en Français
Donegan — may refer to: Donegan (surname), a surname originating from Ireland Barry Donegan (born 1978), American singer and songwriter Batt Donegan (1910–1978), former Irish politician Dan Donegan (born 1968), American musician Dorothy Donegan (1922–1998) … Wikipedia
Donegan — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Patronymie Dan Donegan (1968 ) est un musicien américain. Lonnie Donegan (1931 ) est un chanteur, banjoïste et guitariste de skiffle écossais. Catégorie … Wikipédia en Français
Dan Abnett bibliography — Publishers Marvel Comics 1988 present 2000 AD 1991 2008 DC Comics 1997 present … Wikipedia
Dan Drew — Personal information Sport Hurling Position Forward Born … Wikipedia
Dan Burley — (* 7. November 1907 in Lexington, Kentucky; † 29. Oktober 1962 in Chicago, Illinois) war ein US amerikanischer Blues und Jazz Pianist sowie Journalist. Seine Familie zog 1917 nach Chicago, wo er zu Beginn seiner Karriere auf Partys und in kleinen … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dan Burn — Personal information Full name Daniel Johnson Burn … Wikipedia
Dan Lane — Personal information Irish name Dónall Ó Laighin Sport Hurling … Wikipedia
Dan Kennedy (hurler) — For other people named Dan Kennedy, see Dan Kennedy (disambiguation). Dan Kennedy Personal information Irish name Dónall Ó Cinnéide Sport … Wikipedia