Thomas G. Barnes
name = Thomas G. Barnes
birth_date = birth date|1911|8|14
birth_place = USA
death_date = death date|2001|10|21
El Paso, Texas
nationality = USA
University of Texas at El Paso
Hardin-Simmons University Brown University
Robert Bruce Lindsay
known_for = Earth’s
Thomas G. Barnes (
August 14, 1911- October 23, 2001) was an American classical physicistand creationist, who argued for a young earthbased on the decay of its magnetic fieldand against Einstein's theory of relativity.
Barnes obtained three degrees in
Physics: an AB from Hardin-Simmons Universityin 1933, an MS from Brown Universityunder Robert Bruce Lindsayin 1936, and an honorary Sc.D. again from Hardin-Simmons Universityin 1950. His detractors have questioned his credentials based on that fact that his doctorate was honorary. [Brett Vickers, [http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/credentials.html Some Questionable Creationist Credentials] , [http://www.talkorigins.org Talk.Origins] , (1998, updated May 2002).] Serving from 1938 until his retirement in 1981, Barnes was a Professor Emeritus of Physics at the University of Texas at El Paso(UTEP). As an electrical engineer during World War II, Barnes invented DODAR, an electronic device used by the Marinesfor locating enemy guns. He acted as Director of the Schellenger Research Laboratories at UTEP from its beginning in 1953 until 1965. A founding fellow of the Creation Research Society(CRS) in 1963, Barnes served as the first Chairman of the Textbook Committee and third President from 1973 to 1976. He was an original member of the Institute for Creation ResearchTechnical Advisory Board and the first Dean of its Graduate School from 1981 to 1984. His writing consisted of five books and thirty-five articles on a wide range of topics in classical physicsand creation science. Active until his death in 2001, Barnes served on the Editorial Board of Galilean Electrodynamicsfrom its inception in 1990 and as an associate scientistwith [http://www.commonsensescience.org Common Sense Science] from its inception in 1997.
Barnes' scientific arguments are considered to be
pseudoscienceor fringe science, appearing in non-mainstream, non-peer-reviewed sources like " Galilean Electrodynamics" and " Creation Research SocietyQuarterly".
Earth's Magnetic Field Decay
Lord Kelvinargued for a young earthdue to a weakening magnetic field, [Harold I. Sharlin, "Lord Kelvin, the Dynamic Victorian", Pennsylvania State Univ Press (May 1979) (ISBN 978-0271002033). ] Barnes claimed to calculate the half-lifeof the earth's magnetic fieldas approximately 1,400 years based on 130 years of empirical data.Thomas G. Barnes, "Origin and Destiny of the Earth's Magnetic Field", Institute for Creation Research, (1973) (ISBN 978-0890510131).] [Thomas G. Barnes, "Physics: A Challenge to 'Geologic Times'", "Impact", 16, (July 1974).] Some creationistshave used Barnes' argument as evidence for a young earth, less than 10,000 years as suggested by the Bible. [Vance Ferrell, " [http://www.godrules.net/evolutioncruncher/c04.htm Evolution Cruncher] ", "Evolution Facts, Inc.", Chapter 4, "The Age of the Earth", pp. 126-159 (2001) (ASIN B0006S99JE).] His critics discredit this concept, claiming Barnes failed to take experimental uncertainties into account and used an obsolete model of the interior of the earth. [Tim Thompson, [http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/magfields.html On Creation Science and the Alleged Decay of the Earth's Magnetic Field] , [http://www.talkorigins.org Talk.Origins] (Jun 1997), Rebuttal of Barnes' magnetic field claim.] [ [http://www.epicidiot.com/evo_cre/magnetic_field.htm Epic Idiot - Creation, Evolution, and Intelligent Design] , Rebuttal of Barnes' magnetic field claim.]
Arguing in the manner of British
scientist Herbert Dingleagainst the relativitistic " twin paradox", Barnes claimed several logical and experimental problems in the accepted theories of electrodynamicsand the relativity. He rejected current experimental evidence for relativity, for example rejecting the Rossi-Hall experimentof muonsas evidence of time dilationfor allegedly having too many uncontrolled variables and judgment factors.Thomas G. Barnes, Richard R. Pemper & Harold L. Armstrong, " [http://www.commonsensescience.org/papers.html A Classical Foundation For Electrodynamics] ", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum14_1.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V14, N1, pp. 38-45 (Jun 1977).] Rejecting both Maxwell's classical ether and Einstein's constancy of speed of lightc, Barnes proposed the "light-bearing mechanism" as the "self-field" of a source charge. The accelerationof a charge, according to Barnes, caused a disturbance wave in its fields, which obeyed Maxwell's equationsin the reference frameassociated with that source's fields. He claimed that "relativistic" effects were feedbackphenomena, and claimed to derive many "relativistic" results employing Galilean transformationsand without assumptions of time dilationor length contraction.
Barnes believed that many questions in physics would remain unanswered without an "acceptable" physical model for the
electron. His 1978 paper, with Richard R. Pemper in the CRS Quarterly, claimed that a physical model of the electron could be established without what he saw as inherent contradictions in quantum mechanics. Barnes insisted on the physical reality of classical physicsinstead of the quantumreality of modern physics.Richard R. Pemper & Thomas G. Barnes, "A New Theory Of The Electron", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum14_4.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V14, N4, pp. 210-220 (Mar 1978).] The [http://www.commonsensescience.org Common Sense Science] organization continues to pursue this idea under the name toroidal ring model.
* Thomas G. Barnes, "Science and Biblical Faith: A Science Documentary", Creation Research Society Books, 191pp. (1993) (ISBN 978-0963755001).
* Thomas G. Barnes, "Space Medium: The Key to Unified Physics", Geo/Space Research Foundation, 170pp. (1986) (ISBN 978-0936961019).
* Thomas G. Barnes, "Physics of the Future: A Classical Unification of Physics", Master Books, 208pp., (1983) (ISBN 978-0932766090).
* Thomas G. Barnes, "Origin and Destiny of the Earth's Magnetic Field",
Institute for Creation Research, (1973) (ISBN 978-0890510131).
* Thomas G. Barnes, "Foundations of Electricity and Magnetism", Heath, 331pp., (1965) (ASIN B0006BMTRU).
* Thomas G. Barnes , "Resonant Optics for Detection of Rotation and Translation", " [http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adring/ Galilean Electrodynamics] ", V2, N3, p. 55 [Correspondence V2, N4, p. 77] (1991).
* Thomas G. Barnes & Harold S. Slusher, "Space Medium Theory Applied to Lunar and Stellar Aberration", " [http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adring/ Galilean Electrodynamics] ", V1, N4, p. 43 [Correspondence V1, N5, p. 68] (1990).
* Thomas G. Barnes, "Electric Explanation Of Inertial Mass ", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum19_4.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V19, N4 (Mar 1983).
* Thomas G. Barnes, Harold S. Slusher, G. Russel Akridge, & Francisco S. Ramirez IV, "Electric Theory of Gravitation", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum19_2.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V19, N2, pp. 113-116 (Sep 1982).
* Thomas G. Barnes & Franciso S. Ramirez IV, "Velocity Effects on Atomic Clocks and the Time Question", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum18_4.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V18, N4 (Mar 1982).
* Thomas G. Barnes, "Satellite Observations Confirm the Decline of the Earth’s Magnetic Field", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum18_1.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V18, N1 (Jun 1981).
* Thomas G. Barnes, "New Proton and Neutron Models", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum17_1.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V17, N1, pp. 41-47 (Jun 1980).
* Richard R. Pemper & Thomas G. Barnes, "A New Theory Of The Electron", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum14_4.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V14, N4, pp. 210-220 (Mar 1978).
* Thomas G. Barnes, Richard R. Pemper & Harold L. Armstrong, " [http://www.commonsensescience.org/papers.html A Classical Foundation For Electrodynamics] ", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum14_1.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V14, N1, pp. 38-45 (Jun 1977).
* Thomas G. Barnes & Raymond J. Upham, Jr., "Another Theory of Gravitation: An Alternative to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity", [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum12_4.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V12 N4, pp. 194-197 (Mar 1976).
* Thomas G. Barnes, "Earth’s Magnetic Energy Provides Confirmation of Its Young Age", " [http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/abstracts/sum12_1.html Creation Research Society Quarterly] ", V12, N1 (Jun 1975).
* [http://www.commonsensescience.org/scientists.html Common Sense Science]
* [http://www.christiananswers.net/creation/people/barnes-tg.html Who's Who in Creation/Evolution Thomas G. Barnes] [http://www.christiananswers.net Christian Answers]
* [http://wiki.cotch.net/index.php/Thomas_G._Barnes EvoWiki Thomas G. Barnes]
Carl Baugh, [http://www.creationevidence.org/scientific_evid/se_evidn4.html Evidence for Creation - Decay of the Earth's Magnetic Field] , "Creation Evidence Museum", summary of Barnes' magnetic field theory.
* [http://galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu/~malovic/muse/barnes.html Thomas G. Barnes, Texas] , Critique of "Space Medium: The Key to Unified Physics".
* Emmett L. Williams, "In Memorium: Thomas G. Barnes", " [http://www.creationresearch.org Creation Research Society] ", V38, p. 173 (Mar 2002).
* Harold S. Slusher, " [http://academics.utep.edu/Portals/633/Physica0203.pdf So Long Dr. Barnes] ", "Physica, Newsletter of UTEP Department of Physics", V2, p. 1 (Feb 2003).
Henry M. Morris, " [http://www.icr.org/article/499 Memories Of ICR Colleagues Now In Heaven] ", " [http://www.icr.org Institute for Creation Research] ", (May 2003).
Henry M. Morris, " [http://www.icr.org/article/163/ The ICR Scientists] ".
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Thomas N. Barnes — (* 1930 in Chester; † 17. März 2003 in Sherman, Texas) war ein US amerikanischer Soldat und als erster und bislang einziger Afroamerikaner im Amt des Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force (1973–1977) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Thomas Wilson Barnes — (né en 1825, mort en 1874) était un maître d échecs anglais qui fut un des meilleurs joueurs britanniques à l époque de la visite de Paul Morphy au Royaume Uni en 1858. Barnes a eu l un des meilleurs résultats face à Morphy durant la brève visite … Wikipédia en Français
Thomas Wilson Barnes — (1825 1874) was an English chess master, one of the leading British masters at the time of Morphy s visit to the UK in 1858.Barnes had the happy fortune of having the best record against Paul Morphy during the latter s brief visit. A variation of … Wikipedia
Thomas N. Barnes — Infobox Military Person name=CMSAF Thomas N. BarnesUnited States Air Force born= 1930 died= March 17, death year and age|2003|1930 placeofbirth=Chester, Pennsylvania placeofdeath=Sherman, Texas placeofburial= caption=4th Chief Master Sergeant of… … Wikipedia
Barnes (Familienname) — Barnes ist ein Familienname. Bekannte Namensträger Inhaltsverzeichnis A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z … Deutsch Wikipedia
Thomas Barnes — may refer to: *Thomas Barnes (journalist) (1785–1841), British journalist and former editor of The Times *Thomas Barnes (MP) (c.1814 1897), MP for Bolton *Thomas Wilson Barnes (1825–1874), English chess master *Thomas G. Barnes (1911–2001),… … Wikipedia
Barnes Defense — Infobox chess opening openingname = Barnes Defense Chess diagram|= = rd|nd|bd|qd|kd|bd|nd|rd|= pd|pd|pd|pd|pd| |pd|pd|= | | | | |pd| | |= | | | | | | | |= | | | |pl| | | |= | | | | | | | |= pl|pl|pl|pl| |pl|pl|pl|= rl|nl|bl|ql|kl|bl|nl|rl|=|… … Wikipedia
Barnes Opening — Infobox chess opening Chess diagram|= | = rd|nd|bd|qd|kd|bd|nd|rd|= pd|pd|pd|pd|pd|pd|pd|pd|= | | | | | | | |= | | | | | | | |= | | | | | | | |= | | | | |pl| | |= pl|pl|pl|pl|pl| |pl|pl|= rl|nl|bl|ql|kl|bl|nl|rl|=| moves = 1.f3 ECO = A00 birth =… … Wikipedia
Barnes-Eröffnung — Bei den Unregelmäßigen Eröffnungen handelt es sich um wenig gespielte Eröffnungen beim Schachspiel. Ursprünglich wurden damit namentlich nicht erfasste und theoretisch nicht aufgearbeitete Eröffnungen bezeichnet. Mit zunehmender Entwicklung der… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Barnes Foundation — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda La Barnes Foundation («Fundación Barnes») es una institución de arte educativa en Lower Merion Township, un suburbio de Filadelfia en los Estados Unidos. Se encuentra ubicada directamente detrás del campus de Merion… … Wikipedia Español